Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How is your social life doing? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15676)

Inhuman 08.20.2007 09:04 PM

How is your social life doing?

I love social life discussions

Currently I feel that I'm in a transitional stage. I feel I should stop interacting with many people because I feel like 'they're not good enough for me'. I also feel that this is being quite conceded. I don't enjoy talking to many people in my college because they all seem...just like they have a lack of knowledge and they can be so ignorant.

So I'm somewhat confused whether it's better to keep a strong social life and interact with people I dislike or feel somewhat lonely and only interact with the few I feel comfortable around.

afterthefact 08.20.2007 09:26 PM

Be an elitist. Even if nobody likes you, who cares; you are better than them.

!@#$%! 08.20.2007 10:15 PM

yes, until you need help moving house...

gmku 08.20.2007 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inhuman
I love social life discussions

Currently I feel that I'm in a transitional stage. I feel I should stop interacting with many people because I feel like 'they're not good enough for me'. I also feel that this is being quite conceded. I don't enjoy talking to many people in my college because they all seem...just like they have a lack of knowledge and they can be so ignorant.

So I'm somewhat confused whether it's better to keep a strong social life and interact with people I dislike or feel somewhat lonely and only interact with the few I feel comfortable around.

I say go the miserable route and hang with people you dislike. It'll build character.

Besides, like censored-swear-word above says, you never know when you may need a good not-very-good friend or two.

!@#$%! 08.20.2007 10:33 PM

then again, it's good to get away from toxic people.

contrelefuckingsexisme 08.20.2007 10:37 PM

hmm i don't know.
it's kind of good to have a variety of personalities as friends because you can enjoy some kind of interaction with ones and some other one with the others.
i have my school-mates (they are not friends) who invite me if one of them is having some birthday reunion. i don't really share anything with them, but i accept going to see them once in a while.
then i have all my musicians friends who i see more often. we record, talk, listen to music, go to shows, rehearse, play, etc.

!@#$%! 08.21.2007 12:16 AM

and let's quote william blake. because i want to.

The bird a nest, the spider a web, man friendship.

he forgot the venus flytrap. oh well...

SynthethicalY 08.21.2007 12:19 AM

Hang with all people. They are fascinating creatures. Yes we are.

luxinterior 08.21.2007 04:59 PM

I still hang out with a few people from high school occasionally, but by now they should all be away at college. And then I have my work friends, and we go out and do things after work whenever the mood strikes. Tomorrow me and two of the guys are going to see Superbad. One of them has a crush on me, and right now I'm thinking I probably should have said "No" to the movie, but at the time of the invitation I didn't think it would be that big of a deal. I might have to use the old "Sorry, I'm gay" line, but hopefully not. I don't have any friends at school...YET. But really, I didn't last semester either, but I also arrived at the middle of the year and that may have had something to do with it. Also, it's a community college, and as far as I know it doesn't have many organizations that I'd like to be involved in. This semester I am trying to be more involved on campus by having my schedule changed to include two theater classes (one is workshop) and two art classes, and I'm planning on going to the events sponsored by both departments. I've already run into people that I knew in high school who I do actually like, so this semester will probably be better than the last, and I didn't even think last semester was that bad to begin with.

pbradley 08.21.2007 05:04 PM

I think I over intellectualize a lot which is perhaps my biggest weakness to making friends and/or keeping them. Next to my relatively low but existent fear of rejection, perhaps.

But it was nice to go out to a mediocre sf punk show with my friend last night... even though I ended up driving her home in her car because her boyfriend broke up with her or some shit.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 08.21.2007 05:33 PM

mine is changing.
There's this girl that I dug for a while and she has cool friends. But they are kind of "scene or as they say, anti-scene", if you know what I mean. But I want to start hanging out with a larger group of people.

Inhuman 08.21.2007 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
I think I over intellectualize a lot which is perhaps my biggest weakness to making friends and/or keeping them. Next to my relatively low fear of rejections, perhaps

I'm feel the exact same way. I'm always criticising myself and am always concerned about saying the wrong thing that people might not find funny/valid/intelligent/to-the-point or whatever I want to get across so I'm usually silent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luxinterior
I still hang out with a few people from high school occasionally, but by now they should all be away at college. And then I have my work friends, and we go out and do things after work whenever the mood strikes. Tomorrow me and two of the guys are going to see Superbad. One of them has a crush on me, and right now I'm thinking I probably should have said "No" to the movie, but at the time of the invitation I didn't think it would be that big of a deal. I might have to use the old "Sorry, I'm gay" line, but hopefully not. I don't have any friends at school...YET. But really, I didn't last semester either, but I also arrived at the middle of the year and that may have had something to do with it. Also, it's a community college, and as far as I know it doesn't have many organizations that I'd like to be involved in. This semester I am trying to be more involved on campus by having my schedule changed to include two theater classes (one is workshop) and two art classes, and I'm planning on going to the events sponsored by both departments. I've already run into people that I knew in high school who I do actually like, so this semester will probably be better than the last, and I didn't even think last semester was that bad to begin with.

Well at least the movie is better than staying at home, and it's better with two people than one. And that's good that you know people from high school becuase even if they're not too close, it leaves room to find more people to socialize with while already having one to begin with. College was the opposite for me, when I started I knew everyone, and now it's my 3rd year and all my friends either dropped out, graduated last year, or I don't get along with them anymore.

SynthethicalY 08.21.2007 05:34 PM

All my friends are tunring queer.

!@#$%! 08.21.2007 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inhuman
I'm feel the exact same way. I'm always criticising myself and am always concerned about saying the wrong thing that people might not find funny/valid/intelligent/to-the-point or whatever I want to get across so I'm usually silent.

sux2bu

:p

racehorse 08.21.2007 05:39 PM

i think i come across as pretentious to quite a few people my age, i tend to stay away from these people and they stay away from me.
however i find people very interesting so i mingle with many diverse strains of personality. i wouldn't call these people "friends" though. just people who i find interesting.
i don't have very many close friends, nobody around here shares the same interests as me that are around my age. therefore i build relashonships with people often a good 10 years older than me.

alteredcourse 08.21.2007 05:42 PM

I don't have much of one ,
there are people i could call that i like , and who like me
yet i continue to do little more than nothing ,
and dont answer the phone when they call .

Green_mind 08.21.2007 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jico.
since last week,

like this.

how come man?

Danny Himself 08.21.2007 05:53 PM

Green_mind 08.21.2007 05:58 PM

A lot of people seem to have this "no real friends as such, just acquaintances" thing going on.
I think everybody lives in their own mind, in their own world and people always seem to be forcing their ideas and thoughts from their own world onto others, someones else's world. I think this links to an almost animal instinct that's built into us all, that we all think we are superior to others.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 08.21.2007 06:01 PM

Social life is great right now.

I was M.I.A. for a minute this summer, but now i'm back.