Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café IV (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=110922)

Severian 02.05.2015 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
No, you took that wrong way in your disdain for reggae. I didn't mention midnite's rapping to imyply your shit sucks so much as to point out just how good Midnite is. Click the link and decide for yourself. Also, i AM talking about hip hop, click the links and decide for yourself

Ok this is how awesome a guy I am: while nearly running late for work, I took a few minutes to skim the other vids (I had already viewed one of them) just to prove my respect for you and your taste in music.

I truly only had moments to spare, but I went through them on my phone while brushing my teeth, just enough to get a flavor for the songs, and honestly it sounded pretty good. Ok? I will spend more time with this artist later, because of your recomendation. I'll get back to you when I've had more to digest.

Will you do the same with ANY of the hip hop records I hyped last year that no one really bothered with? Underachievers? Open Mike Eagle? Black Milk? Diamond D's excellent Diam Piece record?

The way I see it, it's only fair that you do, considering the fact that not even louder or NR had much to say about any of these albums.

It's true we all (NR, louder, myself) share a lot in terms of our all time favorites (Kanye, Wu, HOV) and our taste in golden era classics (Midnight Marauders, 36 Chambers, Illmatic, Reasonable Doubt, Ready to Die, C3), and it's even fair to say that we tend to like the same new releases and Mixtapes....

But there are huge differences in what we think the best releases of the year are, and all three of us like artists that the other two hardly even acknowledge.

Just wanted to point that out. We haven't been echoing eachother, especially not in 2014/15. Last year I was ALL Underachievers, NR was bout Rick R$ay, and louder went for Piñata in the end. All great records, but I think Piñata was the only one that was a top 5 pick for all of us.

So be fair bra.

louder 02.05.2015 11:21 AM

actually i'm pretty sure NR didn't like Piñata. but yeah you made a good point there, Sev.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.05.2015 12:46 PM

Severian, i wasn't trying to coerce you into listening to Midnite or necessarily diss your taste. Rather, just pointing out that if you're going to comment or especially trash talk what i shared the least you could do is listen to it so you know what you're talking about. Believe or not, i posted the links to share cuz i THOUGHT possibly y'all might dig it. About links you post, i check them out when i can, if i don't post or reply about them its because i didn't have anythjng nice to say so i didn't post.

Severian 02.05.2015 09:48 PM

Quote:

Severian, i wasn't trying to coerce you into listening to Midnite or necessarily diss your taste. Rather, just pointing out that if you're going to comment or especially trash talk what i shared the least you could do is listen to it so you know what you're talking about. Believe or not, i posted the links to share cuz i THOUGHT possibly y'all might dig it. About links you post, i check them out when i can, if i don't post or reply about them its because i didn't have anythjng nice to say so i didn't post.

I feel like you would have shot your was over Piñata. It's a gangsta rap fan's dream. Like Madlib cut a slice of thuggin ass Compton pie back in '93 and played it through some crazy Dr. Seussian instrument... Possibly called the Jazzamatazzed Peddle-powered Functificationizer....

Which in my head looks something like this:

You'd also probably dig YG. And what about 36 Seasons? Did you even listen to Underachievers' Cellar Door?

Oh well. I guess I'm just saying- you've applauded my recommendations before. So I'm finding it hard to believe that you didn't like ANYTHING I repped over the last year.

But you also didn't seem very interested in joining the discussion. I DID check out the Gad (ER whatever) track. Just hoping you might do the same, is all.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.05.2015 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian

Damn.. that dude is BUMPIN OG

noisereductions 02.05.2015 10:56 PM

I know you guys will hate me, but I can't get into Gibbs. Pinata did nothing for me. Just being honest.

But YG - OMG. My Krazy Life is incredible and I agree, I think SuchFriends would love the hell out of that album.

SuchFriends, remember how much you didn't like Good Kid MAAD City? Imagine the polar opposite. That's why My Krazy Life is to me. The total opposite of Good Kid. It's Bad Kid Maad City. It's so dope.

Severian 02.06.2015 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
I know you guys will hate me, but I can't get into Gibbs. Pinata did nothing for me. Just being honest.

But YG - OMG. My Krazy Life is incredible and I agree, I think SuchFriends would love the hell out of that album.

SuchFriends, remember how much you didn't like Good Kid MAAD City? Imagine the polar opposite. That's why My Krazy Life is to me. The total opposite of Good Kid. It's Bad Kid Maad City. It's so dope.

You're being conservative... I'd say it's more like "Shameless Kidd, bAAd City" or "Bad Kidd Baad City" at the very least.

I don't know why you couldn't get into Piñata, but it would be dumb to hate you for it. It took me a long time to get into it, as it sounds nothing like the usual Madlib project. But in the end it just went hard, period.

Rob Instigator 02.06.2015 05:56 PM

Quietus interview with Hank Shocklee http://thequietus.com/articles/17101...klee-interview

noisereductions 02.06.2015 06:35 PM

sev, I think a lot has to do w/ Gibbs' flow. Just doesn't click w/ my ears for whatever reason. I respect the guy. I just can't seem to get into him.

I listened to My Krazy Life again today. Just straight up love that record beginning to end.

Thanks for the interview, Rob. I love PE.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.06.2015 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions

The truth is that i have been so busy with full time grad school at nite and full time work in days i haven't even had time to get more than 4hours of sleep a day and so no new music. I barely even could squeeze in Midnite's new record and im admittedly obsessed with him! I mossed bodyhead show.. going to miss dead prez (!!!) next week.. kinda bummed but too burnt out to even dwell on it.. so Sev, sorry i missed your recommendations its nothing personal at all, just ain't got even a literal second to spare

noisereductions 02.06.2015 08:44 PM

Quote:

The truth is that i have been so busy with full time grad school at nite and full time work in days i haven't even had time to get more than 4hours of sleep a day and so no new music. I barely even could squeeze in Midnite's new record and im admittedly obsessed with him! I mossed bodyhead show.. going to miss dead prez (!!!) next week.. kinda bummed but too burnt out to even dwell on it.. so Sev, sorry i missed your recommendations its nothing personal at all, just ain't got even a literal second to spare

understood bro. IRL = important. All good. Put that YG on the backburner for when you got some time.

Severian 02.07.2015 08:43 PM

Quote:

Oh that's right, you're actually still in grad school, and are likely going to finish quite soon.

I have zero pity for you.

But I do respect your ability to prioritize. I'm the type of person who fails at long term, high stakes endeavors because I can't stop wasting time at the record store, and reading for pleasure... Makes it damn hard to read for school, even when the subjects are the same.

Anyway, yeah- do what you've gotta do man. Just give these records a spin when you do have the time.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.07.2015 10:27 PM

Actually i just started, i applied three different times but only finally got some funding together last Fall semester so i got a ways to go.. I ain't asking for pity cuz you ain't my momz or wifey but why the attitude problem sll of a sudden? You been hangin out with !@#$! or what?

louder 02.08.2015 04:43 PM

Gibbs was already one of my fav rappers even before Piñata.

don't forget i really liked Future's releases as well. in fact Monster STILL gets plays from me every day.

louder 02.09.2015 08:15 AM

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/02/09/en...thr/index.html

HAHAHAHAHA

h8kurdt 02.09.2015 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder

See this goes back to the discussion before about not reading anything about musicians. That guy is the biggest example of that. Any time he opens his gob I cringe just a little bit more. Kanye, I love you, but sit down, have a cup of tea and shut up.

h8kurdt 02.09.2015 09:24 AM

N.W.A film trailer

I'm gonna say it...it actually could be alright. But hey a 3 minute trailer is a lot different to an hour and a half film.

louder 02.09.2015 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
See this goes back to the discussion before about not reading anything about musicians. That guy is the biggest example of that. Any time he opens his gob I cringe just a little bit more. Kanye, I love you, but sit down, have a cup of tea and shut up.

this time i can't help but agree.

louder 02.09.2015 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
N.W.A film trailer

I'm gonna say it...it actually could be alright. But hey a 3 minute trailer is a lot different to an hour and a half film.

i think i'm gonna watch it. even if it ends up being terrible it could be entertaining.

louder 02.09.2015 12:38 PM

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-...ave-won-201592

i hope Beck didn't get hurt.. :(