Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What the living fuck are Tapas? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13861)

pbradley 06.12.2007 01:23 AM

What the living fuck are Tapas?

As far as I know, Tapas are just Spanish appetizers that range so far as to be able to cover olives to fried squid. I only mention this is because a friend of mine suggested that we get Tapas. Needless to say, my response was "what the hell are you talking about, you charlatan."

Is this just some pointless cultural cuisine buzz word like it sounds? Am I just an idiot? Someone, please, if I went out to get Tapas... what the hell would I be served?

THANKS

pbradley 06.12.2007 01:32 AM

Mixed Tapas platter or plate of just random food.

You decide.

val-holla-ing 06.12.2007 01:37 AM

i think it varies. they usually have eggs and veggies on them, though.

pbradley 06.12.2007 01:47 AM

Yeah, I know it varies (see sentence 1). I guess my point is that if you don't specify the type, you're really not talking about anything.

terminal pharmacy 06.12.2007 02:43 AM

lots of cultures have the same thing but the ingreds vary slightly, the greeks have mezze, the spaniards tapas, the italians antipasto

sonicl 06.12.2007 02:46 AM

Just go for it. Make sure you have some patatas bravas.

king_buzzo 06.12.2007 02:48 AM

I hear theyre just small snacks to eat over the day.

pbradley 06.12.2007 02:59 AM

I'm not saying I would never have "Tapas." I'm just complaining about the name. Tapas isn't a dish, it is a type of dish. When someone says "I love Tapas" I'll just remember that they're pretty much saying "I like Spanish appetizers." And, therefore, they are an idiot.

terminal pharmacy 06.12.2007 03:02 AM

lol thats a bit harsh, i like spanish appetizers

sonicl 06.12.2007 03:02 AM

Tapas started off as just a snack to go with a drink in a Spanish bar - generally just a plate of olives or something like that. They would served on a small plate, which would be put on top of the glass in which the drink was served - "Tapas" literally means "cover", I think. Over time the small dishes served became more elaborate, until eventually we reached the point where we are today where there are restaurants just serving tapas. Basically it is small servings of food, and you order a selection of different dishes to share. It's a real money-spinner for restaurants, as the dishes are relatively expensive, and people will order (and spend) lots more than if they were presented with a normal meal menu.

pbradley 06.12.2007 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
lol thats a bit harsh, i like spanish appetizers

Yeah, but doesn't everyone? Would it make more sense to say that you like a specific type of Spanish appetizer since there is so much?

pbradley 06.12.2007 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
It's a real money-spinner for restaurants, as the dishes are relatively expensive, and people will order (and spend) lots more than if they were presented with a normal meal menu.

I think that's what I'm getting at. Because it's Spanish and has an exotic Spanish name, people shell out the cash for appetizers that really don't have anything in common. They aren't made in a special, exotic way. They're just a bowl of olives, some bread things, whatever.

Now if they came free when I would buy a coke, that would be awesome. But instead it's "let's get expensive appetizers!... yay!"

Iain 06.12.2007 04:46 AM

I think someone should open a British tapas restaurant. It would serve a selection of British foods in small dishes. Eg, small bowl of sausage rolls, cheese and pineapple on a stick, bowl of cauliflower cheese, small plate of crisps and so on. It wouldn't be quite as colourful as your traditional Spanish tapas what with most things being a shade of beige but it would fly the flag for Britain!

nick2767 06.12.2007 10:24 AM

Why the upset about the word tapas? Tapas is a generic term to describe spanish bar snacks. If you want to be really pedantic, they originated from Andalucia. Tapas is supposed to be one tiny dish or snack served with a drink whilst visiting bars and before a meal - to keep you going. It's not supposed to be served up as a platter or as a starter to a meal - although of course, that's what we have now with Tapas restaurants. And you're right, they are a rip-off because most tapas food is very cheap to produce yet the dishes tend to be costly. Perhaps we're paying for that latin charm and ambience.

I suppose the English equivalent would be to go on a pub crawl with your mates and have plain crisps in the first pub, salt and vinegar crips in the second, dry roated nuts in the third and, oooh, a pickled egg in the last, etc, before going for a curry. CURRY - now what's that word all about - it doesn't even exist in Indian parlance!

!@#$%! 06.12.2007 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
I'm not saying I would never have "Tapas." I'm just complaining about the name. Tapas isn't a dish, it is a type of dish. When someone says "I love Tapas" I'll just remember that they're pretty much saying "I like Spanish appetizers." And, therefore, they are an idiot.

yes they are. blame gringo yuppies for this. the spanish are innocent in this matter. and yes tapas can vary from manchego cheese to olives to artichoke hearts to pig ears to any manner of delicious bar food, yes, not "potato skins" and crud of that sort, but people in spain do love their pig. oh they do.

but yes this stupid use of the spanish language... don't get me oh don't get me started ....

BLAME IT ON AMERICA.

floatingslowly 06.12.2007 11:43 AM

sweet gawd I love me some tapas (with extra sangria please).

!@#$%! 06.12.2007 11:45 AM

Magic Wheel Memory 06.12.2007 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
Yeah, but doesn't everyone? Would it make more sense to say that you like a specific type of Spanish appetizer since there is so much?

No. When I say I love tapas, it doesn't just mean I love Spanish appetizers, but I also love that style of eating, in which you sample small portions of many different things. Kind of like dim sum at a Chinese restaurant.

!@#$%! 06.12.2007 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
No. When I say I love tapas, it doesn't just mean I love Spanish appetizers, but I also love that style of eating, in which you sample small portions of many different things. Kind of like dim sum at a Chinese restaurant.

it's true that traditional bar fare in the u.s. consists of salt peanuts and corn chips and there is nothing that compares-- or izzit?

Magic Wheel Memory 06.12.2007 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
yes they are. blame gringo yuppies for this. the spanish are innocent in this matter. and yes tapas can vary from manchego cheese to olives to artichoke hearts to pig ears to any manner of delicious bar food, yes, not "potato skins" and crud of that sort, but people in spain do love their pig. oh they do.

but yes this stupid use of the spanish language... don't get me oh don't get me started ....

BLAME IT ON AMERICA.

I don't know if our use of the word is true to the original Spanish meaning, but it is a very useful word. Most restaurants serve a meal in which you have an appetizer, entree and dessert. With tapas, most of the dishes are offered in small portions, allowing you to try many dishes. This significantly changes the experience.