Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   i am now obsessed with Arcade Fire (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=12810)

cryptowonderdruginvogue 05.02.2007 12:19 AM

i am now obsessed with Arcade Fire

yes, i know, im 3 years late, whatever
they are SO good
i cant believe i hated Neon Bible
yada yada yada etc.etc.etc.

discuss

pbradley 05.02.2007 12:22 AM

So what did it? What converted yah?

noumenal 05.02.2007 12:24 AM

I saw a performance of Beethoven's 9th tonight. It wasn't as good as my DVD of the Berlin Philharmonic, but I guess I should have expected that.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 05.02.2007 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
So what did it? What converted yah?

well, after hearing about them in 05, i downloaded "Funeral"
i didnt like ANY of the songs

so come a couple of months ago, i hear they are playing at coachella
had heard they were great live
so i gave Funeral a second listen, really dug wake up, rebellion, haiti, and neighborhood #1
saw them front and center this weekend at Coachella
something about seeing them perform the songs live was just mind blowing
came home and listened to Neon Bible all the way through, realized how great of an album it is
etc.etc.etc.

pbradley 05.02.2007 01:13 AM

hmm, I not an Arcade Fire fan so it is interesting to hear of a change of heart

auto-aim 05.02.2007 06:27 AM

I hate my friends.. they're so defiant when i tell them a band is good - but i'm always right.

Trasher02 05.02.2007 06:45 AM

Ocean of noise is so beautiful.
"But who here among us still believes in choice?"
That line makes to song so much easier.

PAULYBEE2656 05.02.2007 10:12 AM

arcade fire have a habit of being more and more brilliant after repeated listens. it took me a while to "get" funeral and i didnt take to neon bibl initially but after a good few listens i fell in love with both.......
i have to get this teeshirt tho!!!

_slavo_ 05.02.2007 10:17 AM

Funeral was great.

Georgekrz 05.02.2007 10:53 AM

the coachella set, which was on live feed, was fantastic. im sure they made a lot of new fans last weekend. They also have a live show for free download on NPR.

luxinterior 05.02.2007 11:06 AM

You know what crypto, I think you're just delusional because you saw Arcade Fire with that cute girl you were talking about in that other thread. Now, hear me out. I've noticed that among my close (girl)friends, whenever they are in a new relationship, they start to listen to music that they normally would have despised, just because their S.O. listens to it, and I think that causes said music to leave a better impression on them. Case in point: one of my close friends had a crush on me for years, and during those years, started to listen to my favorite groups (I encouraged none of this). A few months ago, she decided she wasn't actually a lesbian and started dating a guy who listens to stuff like Sublime, and now she listens to a lot of Sublime.

What I'm saying is that you really need to get your head on straight, y'hear? Go back to hating Arcade Fire and I might go back to respecting you. Har har har.

jimbrim 05.02.2007 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Doesn't Arcade Fire have a side project group? I'm sure I heard this somewhere, but I can't remember what they are called?

Bell Orchestre is the name of the side project, it only includes one member i think. I remember hearing them a while back and considered buying their record but never got round to it.

gmku 05.02.2007 11:20 AM

Funeral's okay. It's nothing to jump up and down about, but it's listenable.

SynthethicalY 05.02.2007 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luxinterior
You know what crypto, I think you're just delusional because you saw Arcade Fire with that cute girl you were talking about in that other thread. Now, hear me out. I've noticed that among my close (girl)friends, whenever they are in a new relationship, they start to listen to music that they normally would have despised, just because their S.O. listens to it, and I think that causes said music to leave a better impression on them. Case in point: one of my close friends had a crush on me for years, and during those years, started to listen to my favorite groups (I encouraged none of this). A few months ago, she decided she wasn't actually a lesbian and started dating a guy who listens to stuff like Sublime, and now she listens to a lot of Sublime.

What I'm saying is that you really need to get your head on straight, y'hear? Go back to hating Arcade Fire and I might go back to respecting you. Har har har.

Your a lesbian? Bi? don't tell that to crypto, he might cry.

Never heard any songs from Arcade Fire, should I listen to them on youtube, before doing anything drastic like buying the cd?

luxinterior 05.02.2007 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SynthethicalY
Your a lesbian? Bi? don't tell that to crypto, he might cry.

Never heard any songs from Arcade Fire, should I listen to them on youtube, before doing anything drastic like buying the cd?

No, I'm not gay, well not completely at least. My friend is and she's just in denial.

SynthethicalY 05.02.2007 11:42 AM

Damn, I was getting all queer and giddy about a lesbian. We need more lesbians on this forum.

luxinterior 05.02.2007 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SynthethicalY
Damn, I was getting all queer and giddy about a lesbian. We need more lesbians on this forum.

I could pretend.

I'm wearing flannel and I haven't shaved my legs in a month.

SynthethicalY 05.02.2007 11:47 AM

Do you have short hair, and a husky voice?

luxinterior 05.02.2007 11:49 AM

I did just get a haircut, and I'm sometimes mistaken for one of my brothers when I answer the phone.

SynthethicalY 05.02.2007 11:50 AM

Good enough. Anyways, should I get any of this band here music?