Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Music of Mike Patton ( recommend me some ) (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=19030)

EyeballGrowth 01.18.2008 12:00 AM

The Music of Mike Patton ( recommend me some )

Those two are the only ones he's done that I've enjoyed 100% so far. I love Mike Patton, but most of his other albums of bands he's been in, there are always 4 or 5 songs that I don't like at all. I guess it's because Hardcore Metal isn't my cup of tea at all, and Patton seems to be just a little bit stuck in that style.

Even the album California has some awesome super heavy guitar parts, but they aren't metal. They are heavy, but not metal, which I like. I really want to find more music of his that's like that.

gmku 01.18.2008 12:18 AM

Is this the guy from Eight is Enough!?

batreleaser 01.18.2008 12:19 AM

mr bungle-disco volante (ironically im listening to that right now for the first time in i duno, 6 months or something.
faith no more-angel dust (only one i like)
fantomas-directors cut

batreleaser 01.18.2008 12:21 AM

and patton's bands have nothing to do with "hardcore metal". in fantomas, faith no more, and to a lesser extent mr bungle all have some metal or extreme aspects, but all his projects are littered with so many various styles of music theres no fucking way you can simplify any of them with "hardcore metal".

EyeballGrowth 01.18.2008 12:45 AM

I don't mean his albums are hardcore metal. What I mean is all of them have aspects of hardcore metal in them. Like Disco Violante for instance, I love some of the songs on that album, and I hate some of them but it's not a hardcore album persay. It just has lots of hardcore in it

Cantankerous 01.18.2008 02:05 AM

wasnt he in faith no more?
ew.

ZEROpumpkins 01.18.2008 02:25 AM

Disco Volante

Onani Nic 01.18.2008 02:36 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPsXRiV6yo4
Mike Patton performing the worst thing I've ever seen.

fugazifan 01.18.2008 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onani Nic

i love that video

LifeDistortion 01.18.2008 03:22 AM

That video is basically what he does on Fantomas. I can admire his ability to create all those sounds, but I like it in spurts with vocals added (Faith No More/Tomahawk) when that makes up the whole album it tends to get redundant.

andrei 01.18.2008 03:30 AM

Check: Fantomas - Delirium Cordia and Hemophiliac (Zorn, Mori, Patton)

ZEROpumpkins 01.18.2008 05:42 AM

Oh I don't reccomend Delirium Cordia. You have to be able to listen to it for the full 70 minutes or it's not worth it.

atsonicpark 01.18.2008 06:36 AM

Okay, here's something kind of embarassing, but fuck it... I have heard every album Mike Patton has ever been on, in any way shape or form. And I can safely say he's one of the most talentless people in the history of the world, he just works with decent people. There are three really good albums I'd reccomend to anyone interested in Patton and ONLY three:

disco volante by mr. bungle
director's cut by fantomas
romances by kaada/patton

Everything else pretty much sucks. "California" is good, but again -- my thing with Mr. Bungle is that Secret Chiefs 3 are pretty much the same thing but without Patton so it's automatically about a MILLION times better. I don't have anything against Patton, when I was first getting into music I thought he was real talented and amazing but since then I've wisened up...

Onani Nic 01.18.2008 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
No shit?
Is that really the worst thing you have ever seen?
My gosh. I've seen shit on the news that's way worse that anything Mike Patton would do. I would think that all of the worst things somebody has got the chance to see don't actually have anything to do with music.

Of course it's not really the worst thing I've ever seen. That would be the video for Tunic.

PAULYBEE2656 01.18.2008 08:23 AM

ok, heres my problem with mike patton. people both here and my own mates have raved about tomahawk, peeping tom, etc etc etc for ages so i got anonymous when it came out and yeah, i liked it..... everyone elde hated it so i was intriuged. i got mr bungle, i got peeping tom and i got mit gas by tomahawk..... awful awful records!!! i also got that kappa kappa thing, terrible!

PAULYBEE2656 01.18.2008 08:24 AM

as for fantomas.... what the fuck, its shite!

batreleaser 01.18.2008 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Okay, here's something kind of embarassing, but fuck it... I have heard every album Mike Patton has ever been on, in any way shape or form. And I can safely say he's one of the most talentless people in the history of the world, he just works with decent people. There are three really good albums I'd reccomend to anyone interested in Patton and ONLY three:

disco volante by mr. bungle
director's cut by fantomas
romances by kaada/patton

Everything else pretty much sucks. "California" is good, but again -- my thing with Mr. Bungle is that Secret Chiefs 3 are pretty much the same thing but without Patton so it's automatically about a MILLION times better. I don't have anything against Patton, when I was first getting into music I thought he was real talented and amazing but since then I've wisened up...

yes yes yes, ive been waiting for someone to say this about patton. hes one of the most overrted dudes in contemporary music.

batreleaser 01.18.2008 02:21 PM

nobody else likes angel dust tho? i dont like faith no more one bit, but that record is like a totally different band with a way more awesome sound.

fugazifan 01.18.2008 02:34 PM

i prefer king for a day
and moonchild is an awesome cd

Glice 01.18.2008 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onani Nic

I think some bright spark from here posted this previously, which the Patton video reminded me of.

Patton represents, for me, everything I hate about the so-called avant-garde. He's a massively talented man with just about no taste (the two or so FNM songs I like notwithstanding).