Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Be nice to each other! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=104980)

Chris Lawrence 02.18.2014 06:01 PM

Be nice to each other!

Hi everyone,

This thread had more reported posts than any other thread since a few of us were made moderators to deal with dozens and dozens of daily spambot posts. In fact, these may be the first non-spam posts that I've seen reported, though I'm not 100% sure about that...

As I mentioned in that thread, I don't read the Non-Sonics forums so I feel particularly lame coming in here and making a sticky thread telling you all to play nice, but here's what happened:

- multiple people reported gast30's posts due to their hateful content
- I looked at the thread and saw people on both sides of the argument, so I looked at gast's posting history and agreed that it was a little disturbing
- I asked the other moderators for advice, we agreed to issue a warning to gast
- I contacted gast to encourage him to try to enjoy the forum without using words like jew, gay, ape, etc in a deliberately incendiary manner
- gast replied with a long message basically disagreeing with my request and saying he would no longer visit the forum

So, here we are. I replied and encouraged gast not to leave, but it's been about a week without response. I didn't intend to drive him away, BUT...

It is the stance of the moderators that while heated debates, nasty arguments, and otherwise dissenting opinions are the seeming lifeblood of this Non-Sonics forum, it should be done without using language that outright attacks individuals in a hateful manner - I don't think I need to explain this further (the thread linked above is a fine example). Any posts that cross this line (and we recognize that it's a blurry, individual line) should be reported and we'll take a look.

Again, I doubt this will be an issue since you all seem to be doing fine so far in your crazy corner of this forum. I'm only posting this long-winded sermon in the interest of transparency and to clearly state what should otherwise be obvious: NO FUCKING HATE SPEECH, DAMMIT!!! :mad:

Thank you!

stu666 02.18.2014 06:05 PM

Very well put Chris

MellySingsDoom 02.18.2014 06:48 PM

And a big plus one from me to Chris L (and stu) too :)

e2a: And the other mods too!

Pookie 02.18.2014 07:04 PM

This forum must seem awfully dull if you only ever visit the Sonic sections.

If I promise to be nice will you promise not to frighten me off?

Toilet & Bowels 02.18.2014 07:20 PM

On the one hand Gast was annoying, but on the other hand he was clearly mentally ill.

Antagon 02.18.2014 07:28 PM

Gast seemed like a bigoted, grammatically challenged version of Tommy Wiseau to me. But this comparison probably still makes him seem much nicer than he was.

!@#$%! 02.18.2014 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
On the one hand Gast was annoying, but on the other hand he was clearly mentally ill.

indeed. you can't reason with the insane.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.18.2014 08:44 PM

Whoa, I think this is the first and only time I've ever seen this happen before. We must all be getting soft around here yo!

!@#$%! 02.18.2014 09:06 PM

i wish the name of this thread had been

BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER

Derek 02.18.2014 09:13 PM

gast was one of the reasons I stopped posting here awhile back. When a lot of the prolific regulars left and the forum got clogged up with gast's incoherent bullshit, it became harder and harder to find the motivation to post here. I'm glad he's gone.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.18.2014 09:59 PM

gast really stopped a lot of people from posting, but I don't think it was the content but the quantity. Personally, I always thought the mods should have confronted his bulk posting, not because it was bad or offensive, but simply because it was too much. Hey gasty, don't bogart the forum yo!

Bytor Peltor 02.18.2014 10:19 PM

When it comes to quantity, the same could be said about yourself or many others from over the years. There was once a time when atsonicpark dominated this board and I don't recall anyone complaining about that.

The way I read it, the problem isn't people who choose to bogart the forum......it’s those who choose to respond!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
gast really stopped a lot of people from posting, but I don't think it was the content but the quantity. Personally, I always thought the mods should have confronted his bulk posting, not because it was bad or offensive, but simply because it was too much. Hey gasty, don't bogart the forum yo!

Derek 02.18.2014 10:21 PM

gast had the distinction of both flooding the forum with his posts AND posting stuff no one wanted to read. It became super irritating. atsonicpark posted a lot but at least he made posts worth reading.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.18.2014 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
gast had the distinction of both flooding the forum with his posts AND posting stuff no one wanted to read. It became super irritating. atsonicpark posted a lot but at least he made posts worth reading.

I agree completely, I just think that this particular moderation is less necessary than say, moderating two years ago when gast first starting bombing the forum which chased away so many users.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.18.2014 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
When it comes to quantity, the same could be said about yourself or many others from over the years. There was once a time when atsonicpark dominated this board and I don't recall anyone complaining about that.

The way I read it, the problem isn't people who choose to bogart the forum......it those who choose to respond!

Bullshit. It wasn't about dominating the board, there is no other way to say it, gast was spam yo. He was posting up to 20 or 30 empty, meaningless, incoherent threads a day. It got so bad that when you logged in, all you saw was two pages of gast threads. THAT is why people left more than anything, even I left for a year until gast stopped posting. But hey, thanks for throwing me under the fucking bus with my 3 posts a day for 10 years, dick.:cool:

!@#$%! 02.18.2014 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I agree completely, I just think that this particular moderation is less necessary than say, moderating two years ago when gast first starting bombing the forum which chased away so many users.

YES.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.18.2014 10:41 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to !@#$%! again.

Cunt 02.19.2014 06:01 AM

Quote:

the same could be said about yourself[suchfriends]

Ah, so it's just not me that finds the flooding of funny recycled memes annoying.

Genteel Death 02.19.2014 06:06 AM

is that ape or rape?

Genteel Death 02.19.2014 06:18 AM

Nefeli 02.19.2014 06:48 AM

i have high tolerance -also because of selective and/or lazy reading/non reading.
and very strict lines that if you cross them, you are non existent to me.
that goes for real life as well.
one thing i enjoy here, is the freedom of speech and the lack of nazi moderating etc. however, racism, bullying and pedophilia have no place here or anywhere.

greedrex 02.19.2014 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
however, racism, bullying and pedophilia have no place here or anywhere.

mkay, is zoophilia allowed then?
cuz then if not what is there left to talk about?
btw and joke aside, just visited the zoophilia entry on wikipedia, it's so well-informed (yes with PICTURES) it's kinda ILL!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

evollove 02.19.2014 09:30 AM

Even his thread titles were starting to get to me, so simply ignoring him wasn't going to work entirely. Good job, moderators. This was absolutely the best way to handle the situation.

I'm not sure what sort of person thinks, "If I can't post hate speech, I won't post at all," but I'm thrilled to say that's no longer my problem.

!@#$%! 02.19.2014 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
I'm not sure what sort of person thinks...

why do people have the compulsion to ascribe their own rationality onto the insane? this puzzles me more than the insane themselves, who are explained by their brain damage.

Bytor Peltor 02.19.2014 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek

I totally agree - I enjoyed Adam's post! (and I wasn't throwing SuchFriends under any bus......active members = quantity)

Just not sure if it's fair for me say how much posting is too much?

Personally, I feel it's better to simply not respond to specific threads and avoid adding any fuel to the fire. If I find myself not having the will power to avoid being baited, I have the ignore list as an option.

Policing ourselves is a much better option than expecting our moderators to do it for us.

evollove 02.19.2014 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
why do people have the compulsion to ascribe their own rationality onto the insane?

Well, I wrote I wasn't sure. I didn't offer a hypothesis. I don't really have one, nor the inclination to form one.

Quote:

If I find myself not having the will power to avoid being baited, I have the ignore list as an option.

But even his thread title was starting to get to me. I shouldn't have to receive a slap in the face just to look at the non-sonics page.

!@#$%! 02.19.2014 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Well, I wrote I wasn't sure. I didn't offer a hypothesis. I don't really have one, nor the inclination to form one.

i'm not singling you out-- it's a rather widespread trend. the man is evidently drooling and people are naively complaining about "hate speech". the mods even wrote to him! told him to behave! when he responded with incomprehensible rants which i'm sure included many references to "apebrain" and "modern [something]", the mods asked him to PLEASE DON'T LEAVE!

it reminds me of people who talk to drunks as if they were clear-headed rational actors. or people who address their dogs in fully constructed sentences and paragraphs. "hey there, fido, what is it with you not liking this new food i got you? is there too much corn in it? does it lack minerals? how come you couldn't stop eating your old food but this one you leave half untouched? that simply won't do, good friend, we don't have the budget for the good stuff any longer, and we all must make adjustments, you see. and no, you can't eat the neighbors as a snack..."

Rob Instigator 02.19.2014 10:24 AM

It's probably all self-hate. gast looked like a Navajewish romany-mexican.

Nefeli 02.19.2014 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greedrex
mkay, is zoophilia allowed then?
cuz then if not what is there left to talk about?
btw and joke aside, just visited the zoophilia entry on wikipedia, it's so well-informed (yes with PICTURES) it's kinda ILL!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

i ve been accused of that by Toileta!!!
specifically shepherd dog philia.

no clicking on that page, no Sir!

Genteel Death 02.19.2014 10:55 AM

The thing is that anyone can create a username and start posting hateful stuff in the name of fun or else, and for whatever reason or length of time they have before they get reported and eventually banned. To me this makes the process of giving warnings and banning tedious for whomever has to do the job, and besides this type of forum posting-style doesn't stop inspiring new members to behave like idiots for as long as they get before they are reported by other users and so forth.

dead_battery 02.19.2014 11:29 AM

Quote:

i'm not singling you out-- it's a rather widespread trend. the man is evidently drooling and people are naively complaining about "hate speech". the mods even wrote him! told him to behave! when he responded with incomprehensible rants which i'm sure included many references to "apebrain" and "modern [something]", the mods asked him to PLEASE DON'T LEAVE!

it reminds me of people who talk to drunks as if they were clear-headed rational actors. or people who address their dogs in fully constructed sentences and paragraphs. "hey there, fido, what is it with you not liking this new food i got you? is there too much corn in it? does it lack minerals? how come you couldn't stop eating your old food but this one you leave half untouched? that simply won't do, good friend, we don't have the budget for the good stuff any longer, and we all must make adjustments, you see. and no, you can't eat the neighbors as a snack..."

the mods here are just so niceeeee. and they want everyone to like them and be so niiice. everyone is nice and everything is nice if we just act nice.

this is the most compassion-less and pathetic attitude ever.

gast should have been told very clearly to fuck off and banned the moment he started posting. for his own sake

asking him to stay is as ridiculous as you've pointed out.

i've been drunk in the street screaming and singing at 3am. the right thing to do would have been to come out and tell me to shut the fuck up, but noone did. this would have done me a favour. we live in a society were people puke into gutters and slowly destroy themselves with drugs and everyones so nice - all the time - because noone gives a fuck. how NICCE. how HAPPY we all are.

Rob Instigator 02.19.2014 11:32 AM

It's no one's business if you choose to destroy yourself.

gast may have run out of his meds. you never know. Hopefully he is not a serial killer.....

dead_battery 02.19.2014 11:35 AM

what if i chose not to believe in the standard conception of what choice is, which is a supernatural ability to determine ones actions a priori absent of the causative factors present in reality itself?

also, me destroying myself is the business of, atm, richard lloyd and sons, who profit off the tobacco i am currently smoking.

Rob Instigator 02.19.2014 11:38 AM

You can only choose between the options presented to you. You cannot choose that which has not either been conceived of by you, or provided to you by others. Therefore we have no free will. It is an illusion. We choose a pre-determined set of options. Those who truly break way from this are hunted down like dogs.
;)

!@#$%! 02.19.2014 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
You cannot choose that which has not either been conceived of by you, or provided to you by others.

you forgot a big one, which is when the options presented to you are utter shit, and you can't come up with an alternative on your own: do some research and seek out new options. that's the force behind human learning. from going to the library to doing your own experiments-- the unsatisfied need not be stuck in narrow perspectives.

pain is good feedback.

MellySingsDoom 02.19.2014 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
The thing is that anyone can create a username and start posting hateful stuff in the name of fun or else, and for whatever reason or length of time they have before they get reported and eventually banned. To me this makes the process of giving warnings and banning tedious for whomever has to do the job, and besides this type of forum posting-style doesn't stop inspiring new members to behave like idiots for as long as they get before they are reported by other users and so forth.

Oddly enough, I've just booted off a new follower of mine from Twatter, after I checked their posts and saw them openly abusing (in a v unpleasant manner) a good mate of mine. I suspect them to be one of the "troll" posters at the other place I frequent (in fact, given the "political" nature of their Twatterings, I think I've actually ID'd said clown)...but y'know, if you're man/woman enough to go online and coat people off left, right and centre, why not be man/woman enough to do it under yr own recognisable online handle? I mean, at least gast was man enough to so do, I'll give him that much.....

!@#$%! 02.19.2014 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
gast was man enough

sexist speech = reported = go to siberia do not pass go

MellySingsDoom 02.19.2014 12:44 PM

Quote:

sexist speech = reported = go to siberia do not pass go

Do I still get to collect $200 though?

!@#$%! 02.19.2014 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
Do I still get to collect $200 though?

no. enemies of the state will be reeducated at labor camp.

politics is the highest good and political crimes are the worst crimes.

Rob Instigator 02.19.2014 02:19 PM

gotta love victimless crimes!