Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what's been your favourite album so far this year? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=83448)

SpaceCadetHayden 11.09.2012 06:18 PM

Perfume Genius' Put Your Back N 2 It

Severian 11.09.2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
It must have been really hard for you to go trough Pitchfork's best so far and write like you're gay about music. Sorry. :confused:

I look at Pitchfork sometimes, but I didn't know they had a "best so far." Like a list? In November? That seems like a stupid idea. How did you know? Surely not by reading pitchfork... It was something totally non-pitchfork related, I'll bet. Like a Carl Sagan novel. That must be where you found out about its existence, and memorized its contents.

SonicBebs 11.10.2012 03:58 AM

I liked the Beth Orton album alot too.
And Django Django

Jeremy 11.10.2012 04:23 AM

A Thing Called Divine Fits was a major highlight for me, but then again I love anything Brit Daniel does. Very much worth checking out if you like Spoon or Handsome Furs or 80s new wave.

Oshin by Diiv and Nocturne by Wild Nothing were both great as well. Captured Tracks has released some strong records the past couple years. I can't wait for the next Beach Fossils record, personally.

E. Noisefield 11.10.2012 10:35 AM

Neil young and crazy horse- Psychedelic Pill

Sooooo good! I know my mind will probably change in the last months but as of now, this one is on top!!! Corrin Tucker Band and Ty Segall are also up there. We'll just have to see :)

h8kurdt 11.10.2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Neil young and crazy horse- Psychedelic Pill

Sooooo good! I know my mind will probably change in the last months but as of now, this one is on top!!! Corrin Tucker Band and Ty Segall are also up there. We'll just have to see :)

Urgh. I love Neil Young a hell of a lot but that first track was just too much for me.

SYRFox 11.11.2012 07:57 AM

actress - rip

startur 11.11.2012 12:37 PM

confused as to why no one has mentioned fiona apple yet...

Mortte Jousimo 11.12.2012 12:41 PM

It´s still Dr. John: Locked Down

chrome noise tape 11.12.2012 06:07 PM

Toilet & Bowels 11.14.2012 04:12 AM

Dog Lady Island - Folk of the Old Flood and Loud Doom
Mike Koury & Ben Hall - It's Not a Fear of Falling it's a Fear of Landing

batreleaser 11.17.2012 11:05 AM

everytime im high (which has been a lot since ive moved to manhattan) i return to the sun araw/congos record. i guess swans is the best though.

other great ones: all three ty segall albums, the fresh and onlys, the metz, black bannanas, king dude, fnu ronnies, death grips (both of em), sic alps, mac demarco, converge (like literally their best one ever), pig destoyer, us girls, el-p (that was my summer album for sure), laurel halo, kendrick lamar, ab-soul, schoolboy q, cat power, dirty projectors, woods, puffy areola, purling hiss, the soft moon, 6 organs of admittance, fucccck so many great records this year, the xx (they're a hipster band you say? dont care love how they sound), how to dress well,

batreleaser 11.17.2012 11:06 AM

everytime im high (which has been a lot since ive moved to manhattan) i return to the sun araw/congos record. i guess swans is the best though.

other great ones: all three ty segall albums, the fresh and onlys, the metz, black bannanas, king dude, fnu ronnies, death grips (both of em), sic alps, mac demarco, converge (like literally their best one ever), pig destoyer, us girls, el-p (that was my summer album for sure), laurel halo, kendrick lamar, ab-soul, schoolboy q, cat power, dirty projectors, woods, puffy areola, purling hiss, the soft moon, 6 organs of admittance, fucccck so many great records this year, the xx (they're a hipster band you say? dont care love how they sound), how to dress well,

batreleaser 11.17.2012 11:08 AM

holy fuck sorry about the multiple posts i think my computer has every virus ever

Severian 11.17.2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser

Nice. And yes, fuck the "hipster haters." That is a moot term in my opinion. You know who else are considered "hipsters?" Sonic Youth. So don't even bother defending yourself. You don't need to. The only people who use "hipster" as an insult are meat heads and people who don't realize that they are hipsters themselves.

lunalunettes 11.19.2012 10:37 PM

Good recommendations. Thanks!
Swans- the seer is pretty awesome.

Does anyone else here have an affinity for Spencer Krug? Sunset Rubdown was pretty rockin and now his current project MOONFACE or Moonface with Sinai, Heartbreaking Bravery, does it for me too.

David Byrne and St. Vincent's collaborative album, Love this Giant, has some interesting peaks, but I was also lucky enough to see them live, the memories of which fully enhance my enjoyment of their record.

Oh and GYBE blows my mind anew each time with their recent release. I swear I can't look at anything with focus when I listen to it, that's how all-consuming it is.

Rob Instigator 11.20.2012 08:56 AM

I'd rather be a hipster than a square
If I could I surely would
I'd rather be distorted than unplugged
yes I would, I surely would

Genteel Death 11.23.2012 06:11 AM

Last night I have played Modra's ''The Line For the Men's Room'' for the first time . One of the best records of its kind I have heard in quite a while.

Nefeli 12.04.2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels

On the subject of mediterranean prog (greek in this case) my favourite thing i heard this year was this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vt3fkiYRDg

this is kind of brilliant actually.
also i love you.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.04.2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
everytime im high (which has been a lot since ive moved to manhattan) i return to the sun araw/congos record.

Congos is some superb muzik, even when the lamb's bread collie wears off ;)

You may dig Groundation Here I Am, it is essentially a Congos album to follow up their last album Back in the Black Ark.