Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   syd barrett solo stuff (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2230)

sonic sphere 05.26.2006 09:30 AM

syd barrett solo stuff

just wondering what people think of his solo albums i've been listening to the madcap laughs a lot lately and i have to say i love it

fishmonkey 05.26.2006 09:32 AM

he's a mental dude, very cool though.

Savage Clone 05.26.2006 09:40 AM

I love those records so much.
Been a fan a long time. I'm glad I didn't have to work with him at that time, though! Sounds like the sessions were super difficult.

DemonBox 05.26.2006 09:40 AM

Yeah, he is awsome, I've got a best-of called Wouldn't You Miss Me, and it's great. Effervescing Elephant, Golden Hair and Octopus are songs that pop up rigth now.

atari 2600 05.26.2006 09:41 AM

great stuff indeed & too often overlooked probably

DemonBox 05.26.2006 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I love those records so much.
Been a fan a long time. I'm glad I didn't have to work with him at that time, though! Sounds like the sessions were super difficult.

Yeah, I've read that he would forget a song just as he came up with it, so they always had to record them rigth away, or Syd would just forget them,.

Wonder what he's up to now?

Savage Clone 05.26.2006 09:44 AM

terminal pharmacy 05.26.2006 10:06 AM

opel, madcap laughs, barrett all wonderful, baby lemonade is one of my favourite track

m^a(t)h 05.26.2006 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonBox
Yeah, I've read that he would forget a song just as he came up with it, so they always had to record them rigth away, or Syd would just forget them,.

Wonder what he's up to now?

Yeah basically everytime he would do a take of a song it would be completely different. And I think hes one of the most influencive muscians of all time. Folk, Pyschedelic, Noise. And his nonsensical lyrics definetly were a new idea at the time....

racehorse 05.26.2006 11:08 AM

syd barrett is a genius.
that's a fact.
his solo albums are extremely good, and also they provide an insight into a man in the process of a breakdown, which is pretty scary.
Apparently after each recording session Barrett would turn left if he was going to come back the next day, and right if he wouldn't.
The last session he ever did, he turned right and that was the last the studio ever saw of him.
I think this story sums up the unpredictability of working with him, but his songs come straight from his heart, and I like the way he was obviously at the lowest possible point in himself but his songs are so sweet and joyful.
he is a hero

krastian 05.26.2006 02:05 PM

Those records are glorious.....been a huge fan since I was in middle school.

Oh where are you now
pussy willow that smiled on this leaf?
When I was alone you promised the stone from your heart
my head kissed the ground
I was half the way down, treading the sand
please, please, lift a hand
I'm only a person whose arm bands beats
on his hands, hang tall
won't you miss me?
Wouldn't you miss me at all?

TheMadcapLaughs 05.26.2006 03:02 PM

As my screen name suggests, I love the man and his music.
Truly original, listen to the Piper's guitar playing, no one was playing like that in 67'. And the lyrics, oh the lyrics..! Out Sargent Peppered the beatles in my opinion.
I love his solo stuff as well. It just hits
you smack dab in the right place. I don't know, like the heart or
something.

johnnywinternoshow 05.26.2006 03:26 PM

terrapin is one of my favourite songs ever. I love the way you can hear the plec hitting the strings

CHOUT 05.26.2006 03:34 PM

I love Syd. Pink Floyd has never interested me as much without him.

DemonBox 05.26.2006 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHOUT
I love Syd. Pink Floyd has never interested me as much without him.

indeed

Daycare Nation 05.26.2006 06:01 PM

I like Pink Floyd up to The Wall...and yeah I like Barrett's solo stuff. They need to stop re-releasing it every few years in a new form, though.

dazedcola 05.26.2006 07:40 PM

I love Syd Barrett's work and think he is a real unique kind of genius. His solo records are good, but uneven.Piper at the Gates of dawn is probably one of the best pyschedelic records ever made! There's a PF video from 67 showing him improvising a take of intersetllar overdrive that goes on for seventeen minutes thats simply amazing.

Some of my favorite solo songs by him are Octopus,dark globe,late night, baby lemonade,milky way, bob dylan blues, gigolo aunt, silas lee. It's a shame he wont release anymore material but i think its really uncool that people still chase him and stalk him. Let him live his life !

kingcoffee 05.26.2006 08:36 PM

Barret was a true musical genius. Pnik Floyd just wasn't the same without him. I don't like the Gilmour years all that much. Too mellow. It reminds me of that worthless burn out who still works at the local record store and you look at him and realize he probably spent an accumulated total of 6 months tripping out and thinking that Dark SIde of the Moon meant something.

trance feeeedback 05.26.2006 09:32 PM

I often wonder what he thinks about the wall and dark side of the moon and how HIS band became so popular after he left.
I know a lot of people who like pink floyd, but have no idea who Syd is.

next step 05.28.2006 06:43 PM

I dig his stuff a bunch!

sonic sphere, get a book too about his!