Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Up The Punx!! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=105883)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.24.2014 02:47 PM

Up The Punx!!

Discuss:

Antidote
Distraught
The Virus
Subhumans
Thulsa Doom
Anti-Nowhere League
Total Chaos
The Partisans
Minor Threat
Oi Polloi
Varukers
UK Subs
Black Flag
Civil Disobedience
A Global Threat
Crass
Naked Aggression
Left Over Crack
Endless Struggle
Self Destruct
Aus Rotten
Crass
Oi Scouts
The Adicts
Adolescents
TSOL
Descendents
Cock Sparrer
Agnostic Front
GBH
Casualties
Antisect
Defiances
Lower Class Brats
One Way System
Vice Squad
DOA
Millions of Dead Cops
Allergic to Whores
Anti-Flag

I prefer chaos/anarcho and crust punk, but I have a soft spot for the choruses of the heavier side of street punk. Though, you can always win me over with a good blast beat!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.24.2014 03:02 PM

also, there is a common idea that Punk is Dead...

It can be argued definitively one way or the other..

the its dead: There just haven't been any phenomenal innovative bands releasing genre defining records since at least the early 2000s.. The best records from 1978-2004 are still the best, and really, the best are from 1978-1988 with a renaissance from 1998-2004 of great bands. So, if you're looking for new punk records that are truly new, its not really happening. So from the music critique or magazine writer's perspective, yeah, its dead, and has been, for some time, and if anything that early 2000s revival was just kicking a dead horse...

HOWEVER

Punk has never been defined by sales, releases, or magazine critiques. If anything, most bands really never focus on records too much, aside from trying to have something to sell at the merch table. Hence a lot of DIY and small label vinyl only releases, a lot of 7" singles and EPs.. In the 1990s/2000s a lot of these were compiled into CDs..

Punk is defined by the scene. Are there bands playing? Are there new bands coming up? Are there venues that support? Good promoters that can set up tours? Really, most importantly, is there a community of fans to support these shows? What defines punk is not the records, but the live music. The shows. By this definition, punk is alive and well, because not only are there plenty of new bands, but at least 1/3 of the bands I listed were on tour in the past 12 months..

Even by the record release definition, more than half of those bands I listed have released new records in the past 4 or 5 years.. Of course, these records are simply not as good as their original records, they don't sound as bad as throw backs, but they don't tap into that same creative vein that spawned the original sounds.

In this regard, I think reggae and punk is very comparible, as they were in the 1970s when the punky reggae party scene was popular. Like all the best punk bands, all the original reggae artists and bands are still touring, still playing shows. They've also releases some subpar records in the 2000s, but their original 1970s and 1980s releases are all time great.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.24.2014 03:12 PM

UK vs American?

Pookie 04.24.2014 03:31 PM

Punk Is Dead

Good Riddance

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.24.2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
Punk Is Dead

Good Riddance

You wish!

Don't ask the people what the people think, they've got no opinion but they still think we stink.. we're the minority and its ok, we're the minority and won't go away!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.24.2014 03:43 PM

reggae on the other hand is finally falling into decline as a sizable portion of the original fanbase are becoming grandparents, and the pioneer artists are easily great-grandparents! The 2000s was a nice revival, and in fact here in LA reggae was one of the most popular scenes for young folks. When I used to promote for shows, I'd be passing our reggae flyers and not only would people come up to me to get them, they'd be picking them up off the ground! Literally, at university I used to just leave a trail of them across campus like breadcrumbs, and I never even ONCE saw a single one of my flyers lying around on the ground, meanwhile there were perpetually littered flyers of lingerie parties and rap shows left neglected! Now? Very few shows because the scene is just too dwindling to support international artists making the trip..

loop cat 04.24.2014 03:51 PM

evollove 04.24.2014 03:57 PM

I think the vast majority of those bands suck, but I would be willing to listen to a compilation. Still, I imagine the lyric sheet would ultimately be more interesting.

But I can't really fault anything that inspires moral indignation.

And UK, for sure. There were tons of great singles and one (almost) hit wonders in the first generation, reminding me a little of the 60s British Invasion.

ann ashtray 04.25.2014 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
UK vs American?

American. And only the shit that happened before like 77-78. After that it becomes watered down and silly fast.

ann ashtray 04.25.2014 12:55 AM

Quote:

Discuss:

Antidote
Distraught
The Virus
Subhumans
Thulsa Doom
Anti-Nowhere League
Total Chaos
The Partisans
Minor Threat
Oi Polloi
Varukers
UK Subs
Black Flag
Civil Disobedience
A Global Threat
Crass
Naked Aggression
Left Over Crack
Endless Struggle
Self Destruct
Aus Rotten
Crass
Oi Scouts
The Adicts
Adolescents
TSOL
Descendents
Cock Sparrer
Agnostic Front
GBH
Casualties
Antisect
Defiances
Lower Class Brats
One Way System
Vice Squad
DOA
Millions of Dead Cops
Allergic to Whores
Anti-Flag

I prefer chaos/anarcho and crust punk, but I have a soft spot for the choruses of the heavier side of street punk. Though, you can always win me over with a good blast beat!

And Jack White is more punk rock than 98 percent of the band son this list, and Jack White ain't even punk rock.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.25.2014 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ann ashtray
And Jack White is more punk rock than 98 percent of the band son this list, and Jack White ain't even punk rock.

You're just trolling, try again ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ann ashtray
American. And only the shit that happened before like 77-78. After that it becomes watered down and silly fast.

Much better, something we can actually discuss over a few after-work-beers (if its not "beer:thirty" there it definitely is here at my house)

What are we talking about here.. Patti Smith, Stooges, New York Dolls, Ramones, Germs, Black Flag??

ann ashtray 04.26.2014 01:09 AM

Quote:

You're just trolling, try again ;)

Much better, something we can actually discuss over a few after-work-beers (if its not "beer:thirty" there it definitely is here at my house)

What are we talking about here.. Patti Smith, Stooges, New York Dolls, Ramones, Germs, Black Flag??

Yes sir. :)

(I'll respond more in a bit)