Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

louder 09.14.2011 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions

WTT & House of Balloons are in my top 5 albums this year.
1. WTT
2. Section .80
3. HOB
4. Nostalgia, Ultra

as far as DOOM goes, Madvillainy is his best project.

noisereductions 09.14.2011 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
WTT & House of Balloons are in my top 5 albums this year.
1. WTT
2. Section .80
3. HOB
4. Nostalgia, Ultra

as far as DOOM goes, Madvillainy is his best project.

Madvillainy is great, but there's other records I prefer. Doomsday and Geedorah being two of them.

As far as Nostalgia Ultra, I like about half of it, but the other half I find too... Cheesy? I don't know. There's songs where I'm like "Am I supposed to take this seriously?" But Frank Ocean's hooks on the Jay/Kanye album are really good.

Torn Curtain 09.14.2011 08:04 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSEzU5ZcGEA

louder 09.14.2011 08:25 AM

Quote:

Madvillainy is great, but there's other records I prefer. Doomsday and Geedorah being two of them.

As far as Nostalgia Ultra, I like about half of it, but the other half I find too... Cheesy? I don't know. There's songs where I'm like "Am I supposed to take this seriously?" But Frank Ocean's hooks on the Jay/Kanye album are really good.

Novacane, Songs for Women, Swim Good, etc.. lots of incredible songs there.
just makes me eager to hear his next project. also his new track "Thinking About You" might've been his best work so far.

as for the rest of 2011, i can't wait to hear the new albums by Nas, Rick Ross & Drake.

noisereductions 09.14.2011 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
Novacane, Songs for Women, Swim Good, etc.. lots of incredible songs there.
just makes me eager to hear his next project. also his new track "Thinking About You" might've been his best work so far.

as for the rest of 2011, i can't wait to hear the new albums by Nas, Rick Ross & Drake.

yeah I feel like I didn't love Nostalgia, but Frank Ocean has plenty of potential. Nas & Drake I'm interested in hearing for sure. I'm still on the fence about Ross. As far as upcoming hip hop for 2011, I guess I'm most excited to hear if Ghostface actually releases Supreme Clientele II.

louder 09.14.2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

yeah I feel like I didn't love Nostalgia, but Frank Ocean has plenty of potential. Nas & Drake I'm interested in hearing for sure. I'm still on the fence about Ross. As far as upcoming hip hop for 2011, I guess I'm most excited to hear if Ghostface actually releases Supreme Clientele II.

Nas got back to work with AZ and producers from Illmatic, plus he's been on fire lately - Nasty, and his verse on Outro.
Ross keeps getting better with each album. his biggest advantage is his excellent ear for beats. his verse on Devil in a New Dress was amazing, and Teflon Don was one of the best rap albums in 2010. if he makes more soulful tracks like Tears of Joy instead of the hard shit (which he's been planning to AFAIK), then he could easily come up with a masterpiece.
Drake is taking the time to craft a perfect album this time, as opposed to TML which was a bit rushed, and had too many features.

noisereductions 09.14.2011 10:48 AM

yeah Nas is deifnitely on an upward swing for sure.

I agree with what you say about Ross, except I dind't hear TD. But his recent verses -- "Devil," "Monster," the track with Drake & Lil Wayne, etc have all been awesome. I'm interested.

Drake I agree with you on too. Although I did really enjoy TML. I mean it wasn't the masterpiece it could/should've been. But it was excellent.

Murmer99 09.14.2011 12:57 PM

Crumb's Crunchy Delights 09.14.2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torn Curtain

i was in that prison once

dont remember no retarded dude with a guitar tho

batreleaser 09.14.2011 09:01 PM

Neil Hagerty-Neil Michael Hagerty

A drug album that isn't really psychedelic. One of my favorites.

Dead-Air 09.14.2011 11:05 PM

Smog - Knock, Knock

sonic sphere 09.15.2011 05:44 AM

noisereductions 09.15.2011 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Smog - Knock, Knock

I love me some Smog, and Knock Knock must be my favorite.

noisereductions 09.15.2011 07:59 AM

last night I felt pretty emo, so I pulled these out...

Torn Curtain 09.15.2011 09:21 AM

Alain Bashung - Comme un légo (live)

Really great song.

Torn Curtain 09.15.2011 09:23 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRpYCOeUlIo

Torn Curtain 09.15.2011 10:22 AM

Smashing Pumpkins - Adore

noisereductions 09.15.2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
Smashing Pumpkins - Adore

love it.