Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   My Renewed Appreciation for The Ramones (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=45369)

DeadDiscoDildo 01.12.2011 03:15 PM

My Renewed Appreciation for The Ramones

Not a long winded post, just self explanatory.

The KKK took my baby awayyyyyyyyyyy

my band is playing in Atlanta tomorrow and we're covering that song for the first time, in the South. :)

So I started listening to all my old Ramones records and Im hooked again....

atsonicpark 01.12.2011 03:36 PM

Hm... yeah, they are one of those bands where -- if a song comes on at a bar or something -- I'm like, "Fuck yeah! 'Loudmouth'!" But it's hard for me to sit through a bunch of their songs in a row. Certainly an important band but not enough stylistic diversity amongst their early stuff, and then some of their stuff is just horrible (did the Ramones need Phil Spectre production?). Anyway, glad ya like.

DeadDiscoDildo 01.12.2011 04:20 PM

Some of the Phil Spectre stuff is tight. You could tell Joey wanted to be a 50s/60s singer so bad, and I love his voice for that stuff.

But yeah, they were pretty versitile for a bunch of glue sniffing degenerates. They were certainly more talented than most people give them credit for.

One of the bands that's strength is how formulaic they are.

They weren't trying to do it all.

And they pretty much invented surf punk with songs like KKK took my baby away. Which I am grateful.

pad_023 01.12.2011 05:04 PM

I have been getting back into the Ramones myself recently.

Really enjoy the first 4 albums, I definitely agree on the formulaic point.

It is what made them so great.

Anyway my favourite song is problem Bonzo goes to Bitburg.

RanaldoNecro 01.12.2011 05:07 PM

I just read I slept with Joey Ramone this weekend. I did kindle my interest in their tunes again. Their is no denying their influence especially seen on the We're a Happy Family Comp. Most of he bands I grew up listening to were huge Ramones worshipers.

I didn't realize Johnny was such a dick. But yet he kept pushing the project to extreme lengths.The rumour was that the song, KKK, was about him.

DeadDiscoDildo 01.12.2011 05:09 PM

Yeah, that he stole Joey's girl right?

Clever writing.

I've never read much on the Ramones except the huge pamphlet that came with their boxset back in the day. Why else was Johnny a dick?

I know they all pretty much hated eachother, right?

pad_023 01.12.2011 05:14 PM

Johnny refused to telephone Joey when he was on his deathbed.

The bitterness between them lasted till the end.

RanaldoNecro 01.12.2011 05:19 PM

The whole big is pretty much how they hated each other. It is one big personal bitch fest. It does give some insight into their failures and personalities.

Johnny isn't hear to defend himself but it does paint him as nasty. Both Morrissey and Eddie Vedder seem to sing his praises so he must have done something right.

What lost my heart for the band while reading is when they fought over the Bud light money in the book. With discussing contracts and all. The merchandising issue is also an example of the pettiness that seems to have existed.

RanaldoNecro 01.12.2011 05:20 PM

Dee Dee really comes across as the one of interest. It is no small small feat that he was their principle songwriter.

RanaldoNecro 01.12.2011 05:23 PM

Joeys OCD is discussed and it really just sad.

pad_023 01.12.2011 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RanaldoNecro
Dee Dee really comes across as the one of interest. It is no small small feat that he was their principle songwriter.

Has anyone ever heard anything he recorded under his hip alias Dee Dee King?

DeadDiscoDildo 01.12.2011 05:33 PM

I havent but Im intrigued. Dee Dee seemed to be my favorite.

I love the video of "I dont wanna go down to the basement" at CBGBs and they're all arguing over what song to play. (some members didnt wanna play it) and then Dee Dee is just like "1234" and they go into it

haha

RanaldoNecro 01.12.2011 05:36 PM

Has anyone ever heard anything he recorded under his hip alias Dee Dee King?

It is briefly mentioned in the book. The producer said he was happy that it had a limited release.

RanaldoNecro 01.12.2011 05:56 PM

In the book, it says 'KKK' was about a relationship Joey was in after he came out of a mental hospital.

Not about Johnny.

Death & the Maiden 01.12.2011 06:58 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5-G2_1Zj6c

pad_023 01.12.2011 07:00 PM

Got to love that beat.

keep poppin pimples 01.12.2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RanaldoNecro
Joeys OCD is discussed and it really just sad.

whoa, i have ocd and now i want to read this

RanaldoNecro 01.12.2011 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keep poppin pimples
whoa, i have ocd and now i want to read this

Well it seems he had it really bad. Like turning water on and off for hours at a time. Leaving lights and locks on and off as well. It was touching, especially since in those days we knew less about such illnesses.

RanaldoNecro 01.12.2011 11:24 PM

I hear a lot of Flea from RHCP in that track. Especially 'Pea' from One Hot Minute.

ann ashtray 01.12.2011 11:35 PM

The thing I've always enjoyed best about The Ramones is that it's nearly impossible to be depressed while listening to them. They are fun, and funny.

I think it was Richard Hell that once compared them to Huey, Duey and Louie Duck...except w/ guitars. I can dig that. I like seriousness, but sometimes simplicity and fun for simplicity and fun's sake can be nice. Dumbed down simple rock n roll. Jump around on yr futon and smash yr room to shreds.

I don't buy into them being this innovative band of the late 20th century. I just think they reminded some + introduced others to what rock in roll could/can be like. Something anyone can partake despite technical know-how. If ya feel something, pick up your guitar and let it out. They took some notes from the Stooges + Beach Boys and ran wild with it. They smashed Toto and reintroduced the world to the beauty of the Chuck Berryian riff. King Chuck.

I almost never listen to these days. Shit, I listen to them less than Nirvana...but that band will always have a special place. They single handedly pulled me through some rough spots.