Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   An early review/preview of the eternal (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=29485)

✌➬ 02.19.2009 02:22 AM

I don't know what to make of this review.

nicfit 02.19.2009 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neptuneg
ATL has always been a winter album for me.

NYC too.

nicfit 02.19.2009 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ✌➬

take a picture with it.

Dead-Air 02.19.2009 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ✌➬

It read to me like an intern at Rolling Stone was handed a cdr of the new record and clippings of everything else that they had published about the band and told to be consistent to what they previously had said. So since this intern quickly saw that RS has in general praised Sonic Youth at least ever since Daydream Nation and the disc he was listening to seemed to reflect the various styles embodied in those old reviews, almost as if this group was somewhat diverse all along, he opted to positively say that this new record drew on all they had done in the past. Even the obscure low selling album that they gave four stars a few years ago for some reason. He probably even heard that the Yeah Yeah Yeahs were influenced by this group, so he better be nice and act like he knew what he was talking about. Good thing the press kit noted that they were all singing together for a change. That'd make him look smart!

ZEROpumpkins 02.19.2009 03:06 AM

Fuck you viewtiful_alan. I want to hear it even more, now...

sarramkrop 02.19.2009 03:06 AM

I don't get why the press try to make a connection between the fact they signed to matador, a label that's been lame for years and markets its bands like many majors, and this supposed renewed 'experimentalisms'.

It's not exactly like they signed to SSR or something.

_slavo_ 02.19.2009 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
take a picture with it.

and with headphones and a hat.

John Violence 02.19.2009 04:14 AM

It seems like this new record has some decent hype to it already. I'm really hoping that this is gonna get me back into them. I didn't like Rather Ripped at all and Sonic Nurse was hit and miss. I've got my fingers crossed.

greedrex 02.19.2009 07:13 AM

Oh
My
Fucking
Gawd

repeater 02.19.2009 07:53 AM

Doesn´t really feel like a review, but more like "here´s a promo, write something nice"
Still, he thinks ATL is an underrated gem and he did manage to get my hopes for the album even higher.

(sorry for potential crappy english)

Rob Instigator 02.19.2009 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I don't get why the press try to make a connection between the fact they signed to matador, a label that's been lame for years and markets its bands like many majors, and this supposed renewed 'experimentalisms'.

It's not exactly like they signed to SSR or something.

geffen was on their ass to make their last two records full of "hits". I think they thought eventually the youth would have a big ass hit single again, like bull in the heather or something.
that may be why RR sounds so clean. it sounds much more sonic live.

noisereductions 02.19.2009 09:55 AM

strangely, the sort of succeeded with "Superstar" landing on the JUNO sndtrk. Strange that it wasn't as noticed a few years earlier when it was used in the HIGH TENSION trailer.

noisereductions 02.19.2009 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Violence
and Sonic Nurse was hit and miss.

what album were YOU listening to ?

Magic Wheel Memory 02.19.2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
strangely, the sort of succeeded with "Superstar" landing on the JUNO sndtrk. Strange that it wasn't as noticed a few years earlier when it was used in the HIGH TENSION trailer.

Is that strange? Juno was a huge hit, viewed by many who never would have heard of SY otherwise. I don't think I've heard of High Tension.

vulva 02.19.2009 07:25 PM

Rule of thumb is to believe the opposite of what Rolling Stone says.

But I'm still hopeful :)

joe11121 02.19.2009 09:53 PM

^ Haha, Rolling Stone... but yeah, always stay hopeful. If it's true then the album, hopefully, will be amazing.

Dead-Air 02.19.2009 10:36 PM

Actually, Rolling Stone said that Double Nickels on the Dime, the Replacements' Let It Be, and Zen Arcade were good albums in the '80s. They actually predicted at the end of the '80s that Sonic Youth would be the "band of the '90s" (nobody would have picked Nirvana at that point, so it was a fair guess).

Only problem was, they had higher praise for Bruce Springsteen and U2.

Rob Instigator 02.19.2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
what album were YOU listening to ?

slam

ZEROpumpkins 02.20.2009 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repeater
Doesn´t really feel like a review, but more like "here´s a promo, write something nice"
Still, he thinks ATL is an underrated gem and he did manage to get my hopes for the album even higher.

(sorry for potential crappy english)

English was excellent ;)

mil_pl 02.20.2009 07:00 AM

nice words
but I don't want to hear / read anything more good about this album.
fuck. it's 4 months away still..