Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Robert Fripp semi-retirement (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=44320)

Lamont Cranston 12.24.2010 07:27 PM

Robert Fripp semi-retirement

He's announced on his dgmlive diary that except for 'Churchscapes', Soundscapes performed in Churchs and other "holy" venues, he'll no longer be performing publicly.

hipster_bebop_junkie 12.24.2010 07:33 PM

Didn't know about this. I consider it a damn shame as i've always wanted to see a King Crimson performance again. The only time i saw them they were absolutely amazing. It still remains one of the best shows i've had the pleasure to witness.

At least, he still would be somehow involved in musc, i guess.

atsonicpark 12.24.2010 07:36 PM

FUCK. The last few Crimson albums FUCKING RULE -- in fact, it genuinely upsets me that more people aren't in love with something like POWER TO BELIEVE, which boasts some of the most brilliant music ever made (two guitarists trading notes back and forth as fast as possible; genius). The music was the meanest it's been since Red!!! ... Fripp is a genius. An absolute guitar master. His non KC projects are amazing, too. So, this kinda sucks.

Derek 12.24.2010 07:39 PM

He's completely cut off King Crimson a number of times, I wouldn't hold too much weight to it.

Lamont Cranston 12.24.2010 07:58 PM

Derek - he's also shut down Guitar Craft.

Derek 12.24.2010 08:01 PM

I dunno, all I'm saying is that KC has always appeared again, so there's a big chance it will happen again.

hipster_bebop_junkie 12.24.2010 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
FUCK. The last few Crimson albums FUCKING RULE -- in fact, it genuinely upsets me that more people aren't in love with something like POWER TO BELIEVE, which boasts some of the most brilliant music ever made (two guitarists trading notes back and forth as fast as possible; genius). The music was the meanest it's been since Red!!! ... Fripp is a genius. An absolute guitar master. His non KC projects are amazing, too. So, this kinda sucks.

True.

The possibilities of never having a new King Crimson album is another downside to these news. Damn.

Derek, yeah that's right. It would be nice if this were the case this time as well. For some reason, though, i've got the impression that mr. Fripp hasn't had much interest in King Crimson for a long while. A considerable amount of time has passed since they last toured. I was disappointed that there weren't any shows to celebrate the 40th anniversary of "In The Court Of The Crimson King" last year, for instance.

Lamont Cranston 12.25.2010 12:23 AM

No there was a couple days of performances with new band member Gavin Harrison in 2008

SuperCreep 12.25.2010 01:18 AM

i really hope this isn't the end for KC. they're up there on my "need to see live before i die" list, perhaps at #1.

i'd love for it to just be the case that derek presented. it'd be cool if they came back in a few years with a totally different lineup.