Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   shitty sonic youth shows? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=22877)

atsonicpark 06.24.2008 12:33 AM

shitty sonic youth shows?

My friend Norton LOVES Sonic Youth, he got me into them by burning me confusion is sex about 8 years ago... I mean, seriously, that's his favorite album of all time.. and he went and saw them once and was like, "Eh, they were really shit. I still love them though." Always made me wonder...

Have you ever seen the band live and thought they sucked ass?

Everyneurotic 06.24.2008 12:42 AM

loads of people said they sucked last time they visited here, mostly because the sound sucked and they played most of rather ripped.

i thought they played the shit out of the shitty rr songs and actually played them the write way, but o well, i did watch the show from the soundboard on the side of the stage.

Dead-Air 06.24.2008 12:46 AM

I've seen the close to 30 times since 1985 and a couple times they were just good (what comes immediately to mind was the tour opening for R.E.M. and their set was just too short, but I saw Thurston do a thirty minute "Elegy For All the Dead Rock Stars" that morning in a record store in Elensburg, so I hardly had anything to complain about!) Otherwise, they have always been fucking incredible and life affirming and really one of the only reasons I continue to give a fuck about rock music at all. Just thinking about it gets me desperately hoping they will come through town again sometime soon...

Cantankerous 06.24.2008 12:49 AM

i saw them about two years ago
i would only say it was shit because they played mostly all of rather ripped. the sound was fine and they played fine. i don't remember the last time i saw them, not too recently but i've seen them at least 5 or 6 times so i probably won't ever again unless their new album (???) is really good.

however the performance of sugar kane on jools holland (i think?) is AWFUL.

viewtiful_alan 06.24.2008 12:58 AM

The Rather Ripped songs are great live.
Very fun. Lay off Rather Ripped. XD. Maybve I just like the album because I got a free copy of it from Lee...

Cantankerous 06.24.2008 01:03 AM

i would love it. if it wasn't terrible.

viewtiful_alan 06.24.2008 01:11 AM

How is it 'terrible'
I honestly think ya'll just don't like it.
Poison is terrible. Air Supply is terrible.
There is a dfference between things we dislike, and things that are just fucking bad.

Cantankerous 06.24.2008 01:11 AM

poison is 10x better than rather ripped

Everyneurotic 06.24.2008 01:17 AM

word.

"talk dirty to me" > "do you believe in rapture"

viewtiful_alan 06.24.2008 01:18 AM

Both of ya'll are now on my shit list. >(

acousticrock87 06.24.2008 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
poison is 10x better than rather ripped

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
word.

"talk dirty to me" > "do you believe in rapture"

Oh, what the fuck? Too far, guys.

Everyneurotic 06.24.2008 01:19 AM

said the mudhoney fan.

don't know about cantanky but i love "talk dirty to me" a whole lot more than any song in rather ripped.

at least it's more fun than the whole album.

atsonicpark 06.24.2008 01:20 AM

i think 80% of sonic youth fans would agree it sucks. because.. uh.. it does.

Cantankerous 06.24.2008 01:20 AM

i would rather listen to a poison album in its entirety or drink actual poison (old school shakespeare style) than listen to anything from rather ripped.

viewtiful_alan 06.24.2008 01:21 AM

Quote:

said the mudhoney fan.

don't know about cantanky but i love "talk dirty to me" a whole lot more than any song in rather ripped.

at least it's more fun than the whole album.

a mediocore song by a shit band

viewtiful_alan 06.24.2008 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
i would rather listen to a poison album in its entirety or drink actual poison (old school shakespeare style) than listen to anything from rather ripped.

I really hope people reacted like this NYC ghosts and flowers also... because that was almost a self parody.

Everyneurotic 06.24.2008 01:23 AM

don't call sonic youth shitty!!!!

and nycg&f, at least live, is fantastic; not some rushed half assed barely sung pop songs like rather ripped.

viewtiful_alan 06.24.2008 01:25 AM

Quote:

don't call sonic youth shitty!!!!

and nycg&f, at least live, is fantastic; not some rushed half assed barely sung pop songs like rather ripped.

I was referring to poison. Who are fucking god awful.

Cantankerous 06.24.2008 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan
I was referring to poison. Who are fucking god awful.

clearly you missed the joke.

acousticrock87 06.24.2008 01:27 AM

NYC Ghosts and Flowers is my favorite SY CD.

Except SonicXStreamXXXSideXXxxwayXXwhateverthefuckit'scal led.