Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Magik Markers, uh???? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=39809)

FreshChops 05.14.2010 02:08 AM

Magik Markers, uh????

what ever happened to that POS waste of instruments ensemble called Magik Markers. Back in the day, I wasn't able to post in this forum without some little twit telling me how jaded I was for not thinking Magik Markers wasn't just the hippest thing, etc......

Just curious, I haven't seen shit about them in a while....

only thing I can figure is that they've tightened up their act, hooked up w/ a major label and are producing hits under the name "Black Eyed Peas" or something very similar? it WAS destined right?

atsonicpark 05.14.2010 02:27 AM

EDIT: I love this band now. I said some things about them in the past that upset them, but I always respected them as people, for going out and doing what they did, and I think I made peace with them a while back. I just wasn't into their music, and it felt like every day someone on here would say they were "THE NEW SONIC YOUTH!" and all that... I mean, they were a very confrontational band, proud to be hated, and such, seemingly; really violent and running into people and yelling in their faces, which just kinda annoyed me with that whole act. But many years later, I actually think they're quite cool. I've matured a bit, and I think they have too. It really bothered me that they took anything I said personally, at any point, because I was just doing my usual self-depreciating asshole schtick. But I see them in a new light now, this thread actually made me listen to em again.

...Actually maybe one of my favorite bands now. They just don't give a fuck. They're just messy as hell. Just complete abstraction. I love that. One of the best bands ever! I'm not even kidding. Digging the hell out of em now.

pbradley 05.14.2010 03:49 AM

Beyond the shoegazey Grace Slick sound of "Taste," I could never hear the attraction outside of the idea of guitar skronk abstraction.

SYRFox 05.14.2010 08:57 AM

Songs For Sada Jane is still really, really cool.

Bal 05.14.2010 10:03 AM

theres a new split 12" out (i think its new) with sic alps on the flip
i actually fuckin love most of the things they do.

batreleaser 05.14.2010 10:09 AM

Yeah I still dig them.

scott v 05.14.2010 10:55 AM

the band is pretty different now, they have John Shaw of Apostasy Records playing bass(also a member of Son of Earth which also includes Matt Krefting who has a solo album on ecstatic Peace!) which has "tighten things up abit", Elisa actually plays riffs and tunes her guitar, Pete has a cool synth and is a mad man on drums, there good i still like them in a different way as opposed to their early raw improv sloppy noise routine... they are still on drag city.

that reminds me about the pedals i need to make for them.

Bal 05.14.2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott v
Elisa actually plays riffs and tunes her guitar, P

lol

shes super cool
signed my copy of balf quarry as 'rolling stones'

loubarret 05.14.2010 11:47 AM

Well yeah their not something major special but I like boss.

tesla69 05.14.2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

John Shaw of Apostasy Records playing bass(also a member of Son of Earth

he's a known rabblerouser

Pete seems to be working with his Spectre Folk project more - as a full band they're pretty good - more psych rock than free spazz.

dazedcola 05.14.2010 05:11 PM

I never really liked their early stuff but was converted to fandom after hearing Boss, then i heard Balf Quarry and stopped caring. simple as that.

loubarret 05.15.2010 07:45 AM

Their one of those bands wen you go see a band live and you see them as support act and your only thought is that's kinda cool their opening.

ann ashtray 05.16.2010 02:58 AM

Their last album sucked.
Boss was fantastic.

I like the Markers.

FreshChops 05.16.2010 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Thurston stopped namedropping them, people stopped pretending to like them.

^^ the way I seen it ;)

admittedly, the only bit I'd seen of them was around the time they just got exposure (via thurston I guess). I'm sure lots has happened since, some good, some bad, I don't know..... I just think in regards to interest in them.... sure, they're quite the spectacle... as far as music, I don't think I could call it music. So to say, I had fun with them at a show, and their music is good are two separate realities.

the ikara cult 05.16.2010 03:43 AM

you have no idea what you have started....

Taste is a great tune

the ikara cult 05.16.2010 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Thurston stopped namedropping them, people stopped pretending to like them. That doesn't just go for here, it's all over the web. Last.fm, etc. There are people who genuinely like them.. pauly, batreleaser, !@#$%!, but I doubt they listen to em much. Their early stuff was... tolerable... in a druggy, messy, ugly way. The later stuff where they wrote songs... well... Pete's certainly a good drummer, Lee plays a cool riff on Body Rot. That's, hm.. that's about it, right? I think they were victims of their own INSANE press, which made people react against them. I mean, when you've got people calling them "the new Sonic Youth", "the next Yeah Yeah Yeahs", or when people said that Markers were helping bring no wave back, stuff like that.. I mean, come on. Look at Wavves. I think people reacted so strongly against Wavves because all the hype thrust upon him, when he wasn't really doing anything particularly interesting or special (I dig quite a few of his songs though), and then people were extremely happy when he burnt out. This band simply released a ton of albums that sound exactly the same, just these long ugly jams, and then somehow were "the next big thing", for no apparent reason. I think that's why, initially, this band fell into the love-it-or-hate-it camp. Now, I think they mainly fall into the "indifferent" camp for most people.

Being a bit older and wiser than I used to be, I can appreciate this band a bit more, and I certainly respect them for going out and playing these jams and whatever, I just never saw the big deal; their music never communicated anything to me.

i think im with you there cooley, theyre not the shit-you-up band that the internet said they were. But they are a welcome addition to anyones soulseek profile.
We all love a chaotic group with a girl singer who screams that we all want to sleep with

pbradley 05.16.2010 05:21 AM

Actually, I should say, I stopped thinking about the Magik Markers after people here stopped complaining about other people mentioning them elsewhere.

So 'no such thing as bad press' is right, in this case.

PAULYBEE2656 05.16.2010 05:44 AM

...im not going to even bother adding to this thread!

atsonicpark 05.16.2010 06:02 AM

Yet you did!

Pete is a great drummer..

shabbray2.0 05.16.2010 08:42 AM

Quote:

the band is pretty different now, they have John Shaw of Apostasy Records playing bass(also a member of Son of Earth which also includes Matt Krefting who has a solo album on ecstatic Peace!) which has "tighten things up abit", Elisa actually plays riffs and tunes her guitar, Pete has a cool synth and is a mad man on drums, there good i still like them in a different way as opposed to their early raw improv sloppy noise routine... they are still on drag city.

that reminds me about the pedals i need to make for them.

you make pedals?
website?
thanks!