Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Evol LP release in the UK? reissue or not? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=31053)

bookshelf 05.04.2009 04:32 PM

Evol LP release in the UK? reissue or not?

Ok, just a quick question about the LP release of EVOL in the UK. Just wondering if it was ever reissued or not? On the official disography it says it was reissued in 1996 by MUTE but they have no catalog number or anything and I can't find any other info on it what so ever.

It seems thes days its not massively availabe but some places have it. Tho it ranges from say £12 - £18 pounds and then some places are selling it for £50.

I have a version bought recently that from what I can tell is the original release, from the pictures and the catalog number
BFFP4 etc but I bought t new from a record shop. Would the reissue (if there was one) have the same catalog number?

It doesn't mater to me either way as I jsut bought it as I wanted the album on vinyl tho it is just really bugging me! Can anyone shed any light on this?

EvdWee 05.04.2009 05:39 PM

looking at the discography page i would say the difference is the label: mute instead of sst/blast first.

radarmaker 05.04.2009 06:38 PM

I've seen "Mute" reissues of Bad Moon & Sister (they have "in association with Mute" in small text next to the Blast First logo, while the originals don't. The inner sleeves are plain rather than printed too), but can't remember ever seeing a Mute Evol. If yours has the printed inner sleeve, you've got an original.

There was also a mid-90's(?) Evol reissue on Geffen.

terminal pharmacy 05.04.2009 07:33 PM

very unlikely it would be a mint copy of the original release in a record store in 2009.

bookshelf 05.05.2009 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
very unlikely it would be a mint copy of the original release in a record store in 2009.

yeah, thats what I thought, yet as far as i can tell and from what people have said on here there is nothing to indicate it is a reissue. It has the catalog number of the original and doesn't say anything about Mute on it as one of the previous posters mentioned...

nicfit 05.05.2009 04:28 AM

Etchings on the LP sides?

bookshelf 05.05.2009 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
Etchings on the LP sides?

Hey, not sure what you mean by this? sorry if being stupid here!

Just checked it again and all the dates on my release and they all say 1986 etc. No new dates of 1996 or anything when it was supposedly reissued. Also looked at Mutes site and there is no mention of a reissue there, just details of the original release.

nicfit 05.05.2009 05:00 AM

from CL discography:

Vinyl etchings (SST/Blast First):
  • Side 1: "Destroy all record labels"
  • Side 2: "Everything turns black to blue"
There should be little incisions with those words on the sides of the LP
:)

a-p a. niemi 05.05.2009 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
from CL discography:

Vinyl etchings (SST/Blast First):
  • Side 1: "Destroy all record labels"
  • Side 2: "Everything turns black to blue"
There should be little incisions with those words on the sides of the LP
:)

Interesting, just checked my Blast First LP copy and it doesn't have any other etchings than "BFFP4 A" and "BFFP4 B". Also there's nothing about either MUTE or Geffen.

wellcharge 05.05.2009 10:30 AM

i checked my sst and it has them

sometimes copies of records i have are considerably different than the info i find on the net. i wonder if they vary from batch to batch?

radarmaker 05.05.2009 12:34 PM

Just checked my Blast First LP, and it's etched only on side 2.

RanaldoNecro 05.05.2009 03:10 PM

I have learned long ago not to trust UK record prices...