Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

sonic sphere 03.18.2009 10:57 AM

screaming trees-sweet oblivion

stu666 03.18.2009 11:28 AM

batreleaser 03.18.2009 12:07 PM

die kreuzen october file/s/t cd, climax golden twins, C G TA F (climax golden twins and a frames collab), mayyors, dead luke, vivian girls (finally caved in and downloaded everything, very charming aned very likable though unremarkanble, good stuff), crank sturgen, sickness, cock esp, rudu malfatti and mattin (rudu malfatti is a super wied avant trombone player, and mattin is of course burdgeoning noise genius of billy bao and la florieta, etcc. on this he does heavy as shit labtop noise), la florieta/doxseta florieta (same band, except doxseta has some wierd singer or some shit), sapat (finally got mortise and tenon lp after adoring the tongue tied and staid 2" for a couple years, such a unique band in the face of so much noise and noise punk and free noise, etc... of today's sub-underground), the shadow ring (one of my favorite bands of all time, on the level of the velvet underground, sun city girls, royal trux, caroliner, etc.. in the fact that every avant/free/noise rock or punk band whatever has had bits and pieces of them ever since, harry pussy also obviously meets this category. but shadow ring just had something going on, the wierd surrealist dadaist noisescapes with more structuralized post punk textures, and then of course lambkin's amazing surrealist free flowing talking/whispering/screeching vocal delivery. damn), car commericals/home blitz (gulcher is a musical genius), aidan baker/nadja/the discs baker did with tim hecker (with jesu gone stale, isis gone lame post rock, and pelican being the emo pussies theyve always been, baker is the only dude left making good music in this tired old early 00s genre of atmospheric sludge. well i take that back, neurosis is still that, but theyve changed thier style into a whole nother animal completly, jhust that crushing heavy psych tribal thing. they are the kings of art metal. he does so because nadja sounds like no other band in the genre, only using the crushing riffs and rythymic bombast of sludge to deliver something more artistic and unique. i like how he comes equally from a real metal background, as in actually listens to the greats whther it be sabbath or corrputed, as well as experimental and drone background which actually gives him a real knowledge of the drones hes working with, obviously something those other bands do not. well, broadrick does i guess. but nadja is the shit and just jeeps on growing on me), oaxacan (the best band doing the free skronk jazz punk, better than vampire belt and they dont even have corsano, seeing them open up for rick bishop's new world band in april), clorox girls, axeman (the reissue on siltbreeze might be the best noise punk ive ever heard), crawl unit, the smegma and non collaboration cd (psychedelic industrial death jazz to the max), all time favorite rock records of the week; flamin groovies "teenage head", 13th floor elevators "easter everywhere", mission of burma "the horrible truth about burma", doxa sinistra is still freaking me out too, starting to dig that burnt hills "tonight we ride" cd (took a while to grow on me, i certainly love the idea of 10 pot smoking old peeps up in cold as up state new york gathering in the basement for an epic noise jam with amps lined up on all walls, but this just sounded way too blown out for me. after a while i kinda realized thats the point, and now im really digging it for the same reason i love bands like amt at thier most hendrix and vermonster), collosal yes(utrillo from comets on fire makes an album that souns nothing like psych rock and much more like quirky lo fi psych pop and might even be the best thing to ever come out of that whole camp, believe the hype), loren connors (the moon last night 12" is terrific), k2 (his early stuff is almost exactly what ive always wanted everything referred to as "space noise" to sound like, and he was doing it in the 80s, quickly become one of my favorite noise artists), lots of industrial.

re-discoveries: due to the blog "decreipt tapes" in which i stumbled upon whilst trying to snipe a copy of the first strapping fieldhands album (which they had), i have totally had a re-newed interest in the matador early 90s lo fi stuff. bands like guided by voices, smog, and yo la tengo were to me, as they were too many, some of my very first introductions to indie rock. after a while, i just sort of lost interest in these bands for some reason, even swearing off GBV all together. now listening to them though, i hear brilliance even more as a 21 year old, seasoned wierd music listener, then i did as a 15 year old, naive blackflag/sabbath worshipping skateboarder. what i hear is not just boring silly pop pretty pop songs, but more a destroyed, noise take on prety pop songs, jsut as bands like pussy galore (blues and early classic rock), royal trux (psychedelic, funk, disco, all music trends freom 1960s to 80s) the dead c (krautrock/post punk this heat, faust, etc..), the hospitals and sightings, etc.. (trash/garage punk) all seek to destroy music through mistunings, over-amplification, blown out structure techniques, etc.. the difference is, i can sit and listen to "bee thousand" while reading the paper. i really love re-discovering music like this, makes me feel less jaded that i can appreciater stuff like car commericals and k2 as mentioned above, but still adore a smog love song. oh, and i got that yo la tengo "prisoner of love" compilation, dont really need anything else now. their albums, eve thier best albums like "i can hear the heart beating as one" has slews of tracks id skip.

i knew that was a long post but all ive been doing is listening to music and writing about it as im really trying to start getting myself published.

stu666 03.18.2009 12:43 PM

greedrex 03.18.2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
die kreuzen october file/s/t cd, climax golden twins, C G TA F (climax golden twins and a frames collab), mayyors, dead luke, vivian girls (finally caved in and downloaded everything, very charming aned very likable though unremarkanble, good stuff), crank sturgen, sickness, cock esp, rudu malfatti and mattin (rudu malfatti is a super wied avant trombone player, and mattin is of course burdgeoning noise genius of billy bao and la florieta, etcc. on this he does heavy as shit labtop noise), la florieta/doxseta florieta (same band, except doxseta has some wierd singer or some shit), sapat (finally got mortise and tenon lp after adoring the tongue tied and staid 2" for a couple years, such a unique band in the face of so much noise and noise punk and free noise, etc... of today's sub-underground), the shadow ring (one of my favorite bands of all time, on the level of the velvet underground, sun city girls, royal trux, caroliner, etc.. in the fact that every avant/free/noise rock or punk band whatever has had bits and pieces of them ever since, harry pussy also obviously meets this category. but shadow ring just had something going on, the wierd surrealist dadaist noisescapes with more structuralized post punk textures, and then of course lambkin's amazing surrealist free flowing talking/whispering/screeching vocal delivery. damn), car commericals/home blitz (gulcher is a musical genius), aidan baker/nadja/the discs baker did with tim hecker (with jesu gone stale, isis gone lame post rock, and pelican being the emo pussies theyve always been, baker is the only dude left making good music in this tired old early 00s genre of atmospheric sludge. well i take that back, neurosis is still that, but theyve changed thier style into a whole nother animal completly, jhust that crushing heavy psych tribal thing. they are the kings of art metal. he does so because nadja sounds like no other band in the genre, only using the crushing riffs and rythymic bombast of sludge to deliver something more artistic and unique. i like how he comes equally from a real metal background, as in actually listens to the greats whther it be sabbath or corrputed, as well as experimental and drone background which actually gives him a real knowledge of the drones hes working with, obviously something those other bands do not. well, broadrick does i guess. but nadja is the shit and just jeeps on growing on me), oaxacan (the best band doing the free skronk jazz punk, better than vampire belt and they dont even have corsano, seeing them open up for rick bishop's new world band in april), clorox girls, axeman (the reissue on siltbreeze might be the best noise punk ive ever heard), crawl unit, the smegma and non collaboration cd (psychedelic industrial death jazz to the max), all time favorite rock records of the week; flamin groovies "teenage head", 13th floor elevators "easter everywhere", mission of burma "the horrible truth about burma", doxa sinistra is still freaking me out too, starting to dig that burnt hills "tonight we ride" cd (took a while to grow on me, i certainly love the idea of 10 pot smoking old peeps up in cold as up state new york gathering in the basement for an epic noise jam with amps lined up on all walls, but this just sounded way too blown out for me. after a while i kinda realized thats the point, and now im really digging it for the same reason i love bands like amt at thier most hendrix and vermonster), collosal yes(utrillo from comets on fire makes an album that souns nothing like psych rock and much more like quirky lo fi psych pop and might even be the best thing to ever come out of that whole camp, believe the hype), loren connors (the moon last night 12" is terrific), k2 (his early stuff is almost exactly what ive always wanted everything referred to as "space noise" to sound like, and he was doing it in the 80s, quickly become one of my favorite noise artists), lots of industrial.

re-discoveries: due to the blog "decreipt tapes" in which i stumbled upon whilst trying to snipe a copy of the first strapping fieldhands album (which they had), i have totally had a re-newed interest in the matador early 90s lo fi stuff. bands like guided by voices, smog, and yo la tengo were to me, as they were too many, some of my very first introductions to indie rock. after a while, i just sort of lost interest in these bands for some reason, even swearing off GBV all together. now listening to them though, i hear brilliance even more as a 21 year old, seasoned wierd music listener, then i did as a 15 year old, naive blackflag/sabbath worshipping skateboarder. what i hear is not just boring silly pop pretty pop songs, but more a destroyed, noise take on prety pop songs, jsut as bands like pussy galore (blues and early classic rock), royal trux (psychedelic, funk, disco, all music trends freom 1960s to 80s) the dead c (krautrock/post punk this heat, faust, etc..), the hospitals and sightings, etc.. (trash/garage punk) all seek to destroy music through mistunings, over-amplification, blown out structure techniques, etc.. the difference is, i can sit and listen to "bee thousand" while reading the paper. i really love re-discovering music like this, makes me feel less jaded that i can appreciater stuff like car commericals and k2 as mentioned above, but still adore a smog love song. oh, and i got that yo la tengo "prisoner of love" compilation, dont really need anything else now. their albums, eve thier best albums like "i can hear the heart beating as one" has slews of tracks id skip.

i knew that was a long post but all ive been doing is listening to music and writing about it as im really trying to start getting myself published.

for Fuck's sake dOOd you'll never learn, will you?
How can you expect anybody to read this?
SYNTAX AND PARAGRAPHS FOR THE WIN
The above must be really interesting but NO.

greedrex 03.18.2009 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666

amazing artwork? Is that psych folk?

sonic sphere 03.18.2009 02:44 PM

the shades-explosive

greedrex 03.18.2009 03:16 PM

noisereductions 03.18.2009 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greedrex
for Fuck's sake dOOd you'll never learn, will you?
How can you expect anybody to read this?
SYNTAX AND PARAGRAPHS FOR THE WIN
The above must be really interesting but NO.

got to agree. Especially if yr talking about getting published. You might want to present long passages in a way that won't make people say "fuck it, I can't follow this run-on mess."

sonic sphere 03.18.2009 04:53 PM

slum village-fantastic vol. 2

Dr. Eugene Felikson 03.18.2009 05:12 PM

gmku 03.18.2009 05:25 PM

I've decided to relisten to my record collection in alphabetical order.

First up: Nancy WIlson/Cannonball Adderly.

I know W comes after A but I have this filed according to Adderly not Wilson because I have other Adderly but no other Wilson. Make sense? If not, then fuck you, too bad.

Danny Himself 03.18.2009 05:48 PM

mainly my life lately

stu666 03.18.2009 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greedrex
amazing artwork? Is that psych folk?

Anahita is Tara Burke (Fursaxa) and Helena Espvall-Santoleri (Espers) playing semi-improvised psychedelic folk drones.

stu666 03.18.2009 06:15 PM

gmku 03.18.2009 06:21 PM

Now: American Hardcore: The History of American Punk 1980-1986

stu666 03.18.2009 06:43 PM

Tomutonttu - Ehdottelee

gohleekwang 03.18.2009 08:42 PM

Eric Clapton - Unplugged

This Is Not Here 03.18.2009 09:38 PM

Seeing him live tomorrow in Leeds! Progressive electronics in Northern England, it's just so goddamn RIGHT, y'know...

Sonic Youth 37 03.18.2009 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uhler
i used to have that cd. i seriously can't remember any song on it aside from the chanting of "the gang's all here".

That's about the long and short of it. That and screaming about Boston.