Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   happiness of the katakuris (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15417)

atsonicpark 08.10.2007 02:29 AM

happiness of the katakuris

Just saw this.

I'm a Miike fan, having seen quite a few of his works (though he has done about 80 movies in 10 years and I've only seen about 15, so yeah..), and I gotta say that the concept for his movies is always amazing, but I can't always connect with his movies.. Audition sucks.. One Missed Call REALLY sucks.. and Ichi the Killer -- despite having my favorite Japanese actor in it, one of my favorite director's cum in it, and having an amazing soundtrack -- isn't as good as everyone says it is.. I love Visitor Q and IZO is in my top 10 favorite films of all time, though, so I still check out any Miike I can get my hands on..

Well, Happiness is apparently out of print in these parts, so I paid my friend $2 (he has an actual copy -- ?!?!?!) to burn me this... and.. WOW.

ZOMBIES.
COMEDY.
DANCING.
SINGING.
CLAYMATION (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).
ACTION.
ROMANCE.
DRAMA.
WOW.

It was amazing! I couldn't believe the songs... and the claymation was unbelievable.. it was actually a really touching family film... anyone else seen this? Fucking unbelievable. Highly reccomended.

MellySingsDoom 08.10.2007 03:57 AM

Loads of exploitation/trash fans hate this movie, but I think it rocks.

Danny Himself 08.10.2007 06:08 AM

I rented this a couple years ago. I remember it being good. I haven't been able to find a copy since. :[

mellonmellow 08.10.2007 07:19 AM

Haha, the best possible combination!

Toilet & Bowels 08.10.2007 07:53 PM

yeah, this is one of his best.

not that anyone asked, but the other ones from this guy that i like are:

visitor q (one of my favourite films of all time)
gozu
bird people of china
audition
ichi the killer

i haven't seen izu, i'm not sure if it's been released in the uk. i'll check it out.

atsonicpark 08.10.2007 08:36 PM

yeah visitor q is amazing!

i like izo the best then hpapiness then visit probably..

ihated audition

pbradley 08.10.2007 09:35 PM

Takashi Miike could have done nothing else but Dead Or Alive and he would still be one of my all time favorite directors.

hat and beard 08.11.2007 03:33 AM

I saw it at a university screening a couple years ago. It probably got more reaction out of the audience than any other movie I've ever seen, so I guess that's a good thing. It is pretty touching in a strange way.
IZO is my favorite as well, if nothing more than for the appearance of Kazuki Tomokawa and Bob Sapp in the same film.

Anybody seen Young Thugs (Innocent Blood)? It's one of Miike's earlier films and one of his best imo. It somewhat reminds me of "Happiness" in that most of the usual Miike antics are present yet it still somehow manages to tug at the heartstrings (kind of).

Iain 08.13.2007 07:46 PM

I still haven't seen IZO. Odd that you two (Atsonic and Hat and..) rate it so highly. It was panned when it came out if I remember rightly for being a bit of a mess. I'd pretty much concur with Mr And Bowel's list. I'd maybe add Dead or Alive 2, that one was pretty ace.

atsonicpark 08.13.2007 08:05 PM

Izo is a mess in the same way holy mountain, el topo, and various others are messes.. it's not linear at all, it's just this epic, a sensory overload, and it requires various watchings to piece together its genius.. but it IS genius..

ThePits 08.13.2007 08:17 PM

I have a copy here, it was in the world cinema section in Tescos of all places a couple of years ago
Excellent film