Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

Severian 02.14.2016 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Tidal? Pfft.

Sev, the Zeitgeist thing - it WAS the first SP album in a long time. Y'know? Cuz Billy did his solo LP and Zwan for a while. So I think it was the start of some 90's nostalgia.

IDGAF. I bought it that day. I heard another guy blasting it at a gas station. It's probably their worst album, but I still like a lot of it. Shrug.

I'm sorry dude, I didn't realize you liked the record. I shouldn't have been an ass about it. I'd never judge you for the music you like. Dude, I genuinely like several Coldplay songs. That's gotta be the most embarrassing thing for a self styled music connoisseur to admit. A Sonic Youth, Aphex Twin, VU and Beatles freak who *legitimately* loves several songs by fucking COLDPLAY?

Well, I've got my own "bad Pablo" and he's a fucking Coldplay semi-fan.

Sorry man

Severian 02.14.2016 11:40 AM

Ok so I'm rocking out to new final version of 30 Hours, and Kanye says "this is just a bonus track, all my favorite albums have bonus tracks and shit"

I think tracks 11-18 might be bonus tracks. Which would be a shame for dope ass songs like 30 hours and No More Parties, but it will make the album longer (dope) without letting FACTS fuck up its awesomeness.

noisereductions 02.14.2016 11:43 AM

my wife makes fun of me for liking Coldplay songs haha.

Yo "Shiver" is still awesome!

Severian 02.14.2016 11:48 AM

My favorite moments:

• All of Ultralight Beams. Chance's verse, oh my Fucking God ... yes this also makes me cry.
• Rhianna's chorus in "Famous" (not gonna lie, I cried during that "I don't blame you much for wanting to be free - Wake up, Mr. West!) ... Cried like a goddamn Say Anything fan)
• All of Real Friends... the coda, where the sample morphs a bit and gets even *more* morose... oh yeah, I also cried during this part, for the millionth time :)
• No More Parties in LA - all of it. None of it makes me cry, but it's the hottest all out RAP track I've heard since "The Blacker the Berry" dropped. And it's better than "TBTB" because it's gotcha boy on it.

noisereductions 02.14.2016 12:29 PM

sev, your pm's are full. 50 is such a bullshit limit. Here's my pm, publicly, since nothing all that private was being discussed...

honestly, "new" SP is not even SP. It's just Billy's solo project. Which is what SP was like 75% of the time, but...

But a lot of it is just really mindlessly good. I don't have to think about it. It sounds comfortable to me.

Macklemore - I don't hate the guy. But yeah, he's such a... did you ever see the episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm where Ted Danson donates anonymously to a museum? But then he tells everyone it was him. So everyone's talking about how great he is for donating anonymously and Larry's like "that's not anonymous! Everyone knows!"

Anyway, my sort of obsessions go in weird eras. I never know what I'm gonna be in the mood for. And sometimes it's so GD random. I remember that like 2007-2008 I was really into Eminem, SP, Zappa, Animal Collective and YNQ. A few years later I was hoarding Lips stuff and Weezy mixtapes. The past couple years was mostly 90's hip hop. The last year it's been jazz. But even I don't know. I could be pulling out Everything Is Wrong next week and it wouldn't shock me.

Severian 02.14.2016 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
my wife makes fun of me for liking Coldplay songs haha.

Yo "Shiver" is still awesome!

For me it's parts of X&Y and Viva La Vida. I mean, who didn't turn up "Talk" when it was all over the radio in '05? It was like early U2. And "Speed of Sound" was all kinds of awesome. Frank Ocean covered "Strawberry Swing," which is dope. And "Lost" is a great song, as is "VLV." I also like "Yellow" and "Every Tear Drop..." So yeah. I'm lame as hell.

louder 02.14.2016 12:58 PM

Sev I still think your theory was on point. This album was all over the place, it had a little bit of CD, Grad, 808s and Yeezus.. I think the lyrics suck but they are probably truer to Kanye's personality than the more complex lines on MBDTF.

What I hear is a mess. A lazy album with a lot of untapped potential. It's the first year where a new Ye album won't be in my favorite albums list and it hurts me to the core.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.14.2016 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
Yeah this is the same album as the stream. I'm not impressed. Worst Ye album to date.

Now i feel good again

louder 02.14.2016 05:02 PM

I'm glad to have each and every one of you in this thread. Difference of opinion makes this thread more interesting!

louder 02.14.2016 05:18 PM

LL Cool J Reveals Kendrick Lamar Has Something "Controversial" Planned for His Grammys Performance
Quote:

LL Cool J is back hosting the Grammy's again this year for, incredibly, the fifth consecutive time. Recently The Wrap caught up with LL to talk about what we as viewers can expect to see from this year's ceremony and he made sure to single out Compton rap phenom Kendrick Lamar. "Kendrick Lamar is going to do something very controversial,” the host said. “And that’s what art is about. It’s not about whether you agree or disagree, it’s about it stimulating conversation and provoking people to have conversations about society.”

Given that peek behind the curtain, and the fact that he's up for an astounding 11 golden gramophones, this year's ceremony has the potential to turn into the Kendrick Lamar show. Nevertheless, LL also went on to rundown some of the other performers noting that Taylor Swift is expected to open the show, Rihanna will make an appearance, and Lady Gaga will be onhand to perform a tribute to the recently departed pop icon David Bowie. Additionally, Adele and Justin Bieber are also both expected to perform. "I think it’ll be a lot of fun this year. I think people will be blown away,” he added. “So many artists doing so many great things.” Check out the full interview above.
http://www.complex.com/music/2016/02...or-the-grammys

Tomorrow! Looking forward to it. Gonna be amazing!!

louder 02.14.2016 06:08 PM

Quote:

I miss the old Kanye, straight from the 'Go Kanye
Chop up the soul Kanye, set on his goals Kanye
I hate the new Kanye, the bad mood Kanye
The always rude Kanye, spaz in the news Kanye
I miss the sweet Kanye, chop up the beats Kanye
I gotta to say at that time I'd like to meet Kanye
See I invented Kanye, it wasn't any Kanyes
And now I look and look around and there's so many Kanyes
I used to love Kanye, I used to love Kanye
I even had the pink polo, I thought I was Kanye
What if Kanye made a song about Kanye
Called "I Miss The Old Kanye," man that would be so Kanye
That's all it was Kanye, we still love Kanye
And I love you like Kanye loves Kanye

One of the few witty and clever moments on the album.

louder 02.14.2016 06:09 PM

Man I thought the lyrics on Yeezus were intentionally bad (at least it had good lines as well, and the bad/corny lyrics weren't as bad as they are here.. they also worked because of the way they were delivered. This time Ye hit a new low). But this album makes me question things and see Ye in a slightly different light.

louder 02.14.2016 06:15 PM

This album is basically the hip hop version of Keeping Up with the Kardashians. All flash no substance.

Examples:
Quote:

"Kimoji just shut down the app store, ah!"

"Blac Chyna fuckin' Rob, help him with the weight"

"What you want?
You want a boss or an R&B nigga with a six pack?"

"Her man in the store tryna try his best
But he just can't seem to get Kanye fresh
But we still hood famous (God damn)
Yeah we still hood famous"

"Tits out, oh shit
My dick out, can she suck it right now?
Fuck, can she fuck right now?"

"I know it's corny bitches you wish you could unfollow
I know it's corny niggas you wish you could unswallow
I know it's corny bitches you wish you could unfollow
I know it's corny niggas you wish you could unswallow
I know it's corny bitches you wish you could unfollow
I know it's corny niggas you wish you could unswallow"

"I hit the gym, all chest no legs"

"If Nike ain't have Drizzy, man they wouldn't have nothin', woo!"

"10 thousand dollar fur for Nori, I just copped it (Yo!)
Your baby daddy won't even take your daughter shoppin' (Yo!)"

louder 02.14.2016 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
well, all this hype got me listening to MBDTF again. who the hell can top that? ooh, The Blame Game, Runaway, Gorgeous.

Been listening to that nonstop since The Life of Pablo was first announced..

louder 02.14.2016 07:09 PM

MALIBU is my favorite album of the year so far. Anderson Paak is the real deal. Needs to drop the dot from his name though..

noisereductions 02.14.2016 08:23 PM

Blame Game is so ridiculously brilliant. The odd voices... The chris rock... The afx...

noisereductions 02.14.2016 08:23 PM

Quote:

MALIBU is my favorite album of the year so far. Anderson Paak is the real deal. Needs to drop the dot from his name though..

My fav of the year so far too.

Severian 02.14.2016 09:16 PM

Quote:

This album is basically the hip hop version of Keeping Up with the Kardashians. All flash no substance.

Examples:

I don't think I could possibly disagree more.

There are examples of "bad" lyrics on all of Kanye's albums.

This record sounds so goddamn extraordinary to me that I feel grateful for the 3 year wait. If that's how long it took to get this down, then I wouldn't have it any other way.

Severian 02.14.2016 09:30 PM

Quote:

Sev I still think your theory was on point. This album was all over the place, it had a little bit of CD, Grad, 808s and Yeezus.. I think the lyrics suck but they are probably truer to Kanye's personality than the more complex lines on MBDTF.

What I hear is a mess. A lazy album with a lot of untapped potential. It's the first year where a new Ye album won't be in my favorite albums list and it hurts me to the core.

Wow, you're jumping to that conclusion pretty quickly.

Even if I hated this record, I'd spin it for a week straight before I made any statements about its quality.

I'm actually surprised that it hit me like a slug to the chest on first listen. That's not how I usually process Kanye.

I think the album is loose, for sure, and it's a strange mix of sacred and profane, of positive and negative emotions and sentiments, but I can't believe you hate it so much. Really, man. Compared to so-so homies like Future, like Drake, this album sounds like the most original and vibrant thing I've ever heard.

I get that you're not happy with it, but I hope it grows on you. I really do.

Pleas don't say that it's got you looking at other Ye albums and questioning how you feel about them. That's insane man! Even if the album is just plain bad ... Why would that have any impact on his other albums?

You've said it yourself, the man has done what no other artist in god knows how long has been able to do. A decade of non-stop innovation, ever uncreasing quality, pure brilliance. Even if you're right and this album is the runt of the litter, why would you hold that against the rest of his work?

You can't expect him to be perfect forever. So I'm begging you: please, hate the album if you have to, but don't write off a decade of excellence just because he finally dropped an album that you don't think is excellent.

That's not fair to you or to Ye.

I didn't care much for The Eternal, but did that change anything about SY's musical legacy for me? Fuck no. The Eternal is a great album by normal standards. It's just not a DDN/Sister/Washing Machine level masterpiece.

So go easy bro.

Severian 02.14.2016 09:43 PM

Quote:

Man I thought the lyrics on Yeezus were intentionally bad (at least it had good lines as well, and the bad/corny lyrics weren't as bad as they are here.. they also worked because of the way they were delivered. This time Ye hit a new low). But this album makes me question things and see Ye in a slightly different light.

You recently said that you thought the lyrics on Yeezus were overlooked!

I don't think they're bad. I think they're brilliant. For that album. Had they come up on MBDTF or LR or Graduation, I would have been like "what the fuck?" But for the vibe and feel of Yeezus, which is basically a hip-hop noise punk album, it works beautifully!

That's the thing. You're disappointed because this album doesn't have the same lyrical depth as MBDTF. But neither did any other album. Everything he's done has been almost incomparable to everything that's come before it.

It's pretty clear to me that he's done something new yet again. And I feel like the lyrics work. (Don't quote FACTS because as I said, he claims in the final take of 30 hours that "these are bonus tracks" ... Do you count "See Me Now" as a part of MBDTF? Cause if so, that's not a perfect album.

The lyrics to me work very well within the context of this album. And I don't think they're bad! I think the music is absolutely electrifying and I wish I could crawl inside your brain so I could understand how this isn't the most satisfying thing he's done since 2010.

The Life of Pablo will be its own chapter. Its merit will be determined by how it affects us over time. Give it the same courtesy you've given the rest of his work.

Not trying to be a dick here, I just think you're going to regret saying some of this stuff. This is a Kanye album! It sounds like a Kanye album. And as a result of being a Kanye album, it's different from all other Kanye albums.

Sleep on it and re-evaluate. But don't you dare pull a revers Severian on me and turn into a hater overnight. Give it a chance. I know the world moves fast these days, but I'm talking about a real chance... Let it sink in for a while.