Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   i just got Houdini by the Melvins and i fucking love it (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1090)

youthoftomorrow 04.20.2006 01:34 AM

i just got Houdini by the Melvins and i fucking love it

wow. this is such a great album. "Hag Me" is so good that i want to kill myself. "Hooch" is one of the best album openers i've ever heard.

Flen flyys 04.20.2006 01:57 AM

I got it because of the Kurt Cobain connection (hey I'm not the only one) and yeah it's pretty good. I haven't listened to it in quite awhile.

marleypumpkin 04.20.2006 02:05 AM

"Houdini" is an excellent album. It's interesting to hear the 1983 demos of them playing "Set Me Straight". It just shows you that good bands can always pull something old out of the hat, & still have it sound relevent.

-Suggestion-
If you don't already have it, get "Pigs Of The Roman Empire",
by The Melvins+Lustmord. It features Adam Jones on guitar.
& of course Buzz playing every instrument he can get his hands on.

John Violence 04.20.2006 02:08 AM

Good Album. My favorite song on it is Pearl Bomb. The first time I heard it I thought there was something wrong with the CD.

krastian 04.20.2006 02:18 AM

Hell yeah man, that is some serious milk.

fishmonkey 04.20.2006 06:20 AM

yeah i have to agree its a gret album, love the cover too very innocent until you put it on! you should get "stoner witch" next

Everyneurotic 04.20.2006 09:49 AM

i'm still super stuck on bullhead because that's the perfect album. i mean, i can't move forward with the melvins because bullhead is so fucking good!!!

i mean boris, c'mon!!!!!!

sonikold 04.20.2006 09:56 AM

"houdini" is great
"stoner witch" broke my headphones.

fishmonkey 04.20.2006 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic

Right on!, Boris is some tune

Rob Instigator 04.20.2006 10:58 AM

BULLHEAD RULES!!!!!
OZMA RULES!!!

I'm crawling! On my belly crawling!!!!

and off of bullhead
OH NO I forgot to get my pills
I got to go downtown!

Tickerwelly 04.20.2006 11:45 AM

Pick up Stag if you can ever find it. It's pure gold from start to finish.

Hannah 04.20.2006 04:06 PM

I was obsessed with that album when I first bought it.

nomadicfollower 04.20.2006 04:51 PM

Houdini is the only thing I've heard by the Melvins and I don't think that much of it. I listened to iti maybe once or twice through and I was never impressed...or really that entertained.

Rob Instigator 04.20.2006 05:03 PM

if you want the REAL DEAL melvins

get

OZMA

BULLHEAD

KING BUZZO

finding nobody 04.20.2006 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i'm still super stuck on bullhead because that's the perfect album. i mean, i can't move forward with the melvins because bullhead is so fucking good!!!

i dont know why. but i really wasn't into this cd. it's all ive heard by the melvins. i guess it left a bad impression. but i'm gonna try and listen to houdini

Everyneurotic 04.21.2006 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finding nobody
i dont know why. but i really wasn't into this cd. it's all ive heard by the melvins. i guess it left a bad impression. but i'm gonna try and listen to houdini

i used to be like that too. i used to listen to melvins' songs and i was always like "what's the big deal, they are just boring"; any era melvins, they all sounded lame. then i downloaded bullhead (i know, shame on me) and thought it was meh, then listened to it for like three times and it finally sunk in. and by "sunk in" i mean getting hit by a steel baseball bat on the back of my head. the melvins are a grower band, you have to be patient; at least that's how it happened to me.

i also have mangled demos and stoner witch and, while i liked the demos a lot because i like punk like what they played there, i can't seem to get into stoner witch because i always get an urge to listen to bullhead instead.

timpickens 04.21.2006 12:09 AM

Houdini is a great album!

I just bought Ozma and I like it so far but I'm sure I'll like it a lot more after a couple more spins. Also check out Gluey Porch Treatments, another bitchin album. I read in a Dale Crover interview from a while back where he said something about how playing the songs on G.P.T. is similar to doing calculus equations. I can see what he means. Or hear what he means. tarhahrhrharharharhahrrhahrahrar. etc.

PunkerViolence 04.21.2006 06:25 AM

OZMA, BuLLHEAD, LYSOL, HOUDINI and STONER WITCH is a great selection of Melvins records (the early ones released on Boner records:D ). But those will satisfy your ears for some time.

sonikold 04.21.2006 12:52 PM

i was hooked the first time i listened to stoner witch. that album is fucking brilliant. so much low end...

Mudride 04.22.2006 01:16 PM

that album rocks, as much as bullhead !
get Gluey Porch Treatments, thats just wild. Plus points for their Green River cover "Leech" !