Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   new yorkers - must visit record shops (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=4429)

musefreek 07.24.2006 05:54 AM

new yorkers - must visit record shops

hail all mighty fine new yorkers

i'm finally getting around to visiting NYC for a week. can you please recommended me some record shops that is a must visit? i'm looking for those independent ones selling a great selection of underground music etc. you get the idea.

all recommendations MUCH appreciated.

could you also give me a rough indication of where the shops are located?

sonicl 07.24.2006 06:00 AM

I'm not a New Yorker, but I have been there, and Other Music (15 E. 4th Street) and Downtown Music Gallery (342 Bowery, between E. 2nd & E. 3rd Streets) are great.

Excuse my vagueness, but there are also two or three great shops on Macdougal Street, Sullivan Street or Thompson Street in Greenwich Village, somewhere around West 3rd Street or West 4th Street (there's also a fantastic wholefood cafe on either West 3rd Street or West 4th Street), and there are also loads on St Marks Place. If I can find more helpful details at home I'll post them.

EDIT - One of the shops in Greenwich Village is Generation Records at 210 Thompson Street.

fishmonkey 07.24.2006 06:03 AM

this is tooo fuckin freeky musefreeky man, i'm going to NYC in a few weeks also and was contemplating starting a thread like this as i plan on buying a shitload of music when i'm there.... great minds think alike.

so c'mon New Yorkers, inform musefreek and me.

screamingskull 07.24.2006 07:06 AM

im going to NYC in october and was also interested in finding some good record shops i want to get some super rare sonic youth stuff that i cant get over here.

drrrtyboots 07.24.2006 10:09 AM

One of the stores on St. Mark's, Kim's, is really awesome. Other Music is great too like sonicl said.

Disgruntled Youth 07.24.2006 10:29 AM

Jammy Lands somewhere past Bleeker in Soho.

golden child 07.24.2006 11:17 AM

Hospital Productions
60 East 3rd St.
New York, New York 10003-9239
USA

ran by dom fernow (prurient)

!@#$%! 07.24.2006 04:37 PM

i'd second a recommendation other music & kim's & also:

downtown music gallery carries the whole tzadik catalogue (in fact they are the ones who do the mailings when you buy online) you already got your addresses there right?

if you're into jazz soul or hiphop or shit like that don't forget hm oh i dont remember there is one on avenue A i think and ... hm... i dont know i bought the last poets there.

if you go to greenwich village make sure to AVOID the ripoff motherfuckers from bleeker street records, they are shit.

you might also want to take a train to princeton record exchange? i dont know how long you'll be there....

i gotta go but google or i might post later.

drrrtyboots 07.24.2006 09:36 PM

Like !@#$%! said, if you can catch a train there the Princeton Record Exchange is really great but might not be worth the train cost considering how many record stores are in new york.

soniknirve 07.25.2006 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
I'm not a New Yorker, but I have been there, and Other Music (15 E. 4th Street) and Downtown Music Gallery (342 Bowery, between E. 2nd & E. 3rd Streets) are great.

EDIT - One of the shops in Greenwich Village is Generation Records at 210 Thompson Street.

yes sonicl. generation records stocks many bootlegs and vinyl. careful if you're a collector of bootlegs tho. some bootlegs are actually clones of bootlegs w/ the same artwork but diiferent label and cheaper inserts (there have been some KTS clones that i can remember). other music is a great option as well and i guess i'll check out DMG since i hadn't heard about it...

sonicl 07.25.2006 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
there's also a fantastic wholefood cafe on either West 3rd Street or West 4th Street.

The wholefood place is Quantum Leap, and is at 88 W 3rd St, btwn Thompson and Sullivan.
Reviews here.

TheDom 07.25.2006 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soniknirve
yes sonicl. generation records stocks many bootlegs and vinyl. careful if you're a collector of bootlegs tho. some bootlegs are actually clones of bootlegs w/ the same artwork but diiferent label and cheaper inserts (there have been some KTS clones that i can remember). other music is a great option as well and i guess i'll check out DMG since i hadn't heard about it...

bootlegs of bootlegs!

sonicl 07.25.2006 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDom
bootlegs of bootlegs!

I liked the irony of that too.

jon boy 07.25.2006 04:06 PM

other music is good also go to the village and check out some of the ones down there. there is one street with several on that are all good.

Lipslikewindows 07.25.2006 04:18 PM

Generation is definitely the best I know for newer stuff (post-1985), and Academy in Williamsburg (on North 6th) is the best I know for older stuff (pre-1985).

Everyneurotic 07.25.2006 07:40 PM

man, i went on a spree today!!! here's my appreciation of the field study i did:

first off, bleecker BOB is the shop to avoid, they have NOTHING, the slightest bits of things they have are overpriced to the sky (case in point, they are selling a deep wound album for $25 or something because it's "j mascis of dinosaur jr's hardcore band; not to mention all the discord stuff they have and severly beaten copy of in the court of the crimson king for $20). if you are a completist record/stamp collector snob, they are selling a copy of the vu&n with the original banana peel cover for $500. they do, however, have some cool posters, shirts and few fanzines there.

on the other hand, bleecker street records is fairly normal and they do stock new vinyl along with the imported and rare, some stuff is overpriced (a new belle and sebastian 7" for $10?!) but for the most part they are ok.

generation records is also awesome, the suply is amazing and prices are cheap. i fell in love with their vinyl bins, plus they have shirts (which i didn't have time to browse), i got my helen lundeberg/eyeliner 7" there.

other music looks very small but actually has one of the selections in town, there's a lot of stuff, especially when it comes to more underground difficult music and their prices are fair. CHECK THE USED BINS!! they are overflowing with lost treasures! the vinyl is selection is fucking awesome too. (in a related note, a guy try to pick a fight with me for looking at a crate of vinyl underneat the new vinyl bin...)

kim's is great and if you look hard enough, you can find great stuff at cheap prices (even if some isn't that cheap). i once found a vinyl copy of amt's wild gals a go go for $20 and for some temporary mental retardation i suffered for an instant didn't pick up (that was last year). there's also films galore. again, look on the used bins for treasures.

those are like the standout shops i went to. nyc is vinyl/cd heaven!!!! i love going to a store and actually looking at records i'm interested in buying!

golden child 07.25.2006 09:15 PM

if i ever go to other music i wont be able to refrain from asking for garden state because i heard its indietastic.

golden child 07.28.2006 12:02 AM

if you plan on going to jammyland, hospital is right underneath
heres a good article about em http://www.villagevoice.com/music/06...,73934,22.html

musefreek 09.27.2006 07:52 AM

OMG!!!!!! I just got back from a week in NYC. That place is truly stunning and I'm gonna move there someday. I was fucken blown away. Went to CBGBs and had a blast of a time.

Also bought a copy of the magazine Filter who ran a big story on 25 years of Sonic Youth. Great Stuff.

I'm so jealous of New Yorkers. :)

sonicl 09.27.2006 07:55 AM

Good to hear you had a good time.

Did you see any bands? Who and where?

And what record shops did you go to and what did you buy?