Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Is Boyd Rice the best artist ever or what? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=22144)

sarramkrop 05.29.2008 05:42 AM

Is Boyd Rice the best artist ever or what?

Sorry, this piece by him deserves its own thread. I'll attach a poll.

sarramkrop 05.29.2008 05:48 AM

Haha. Adam Parfrey is a close second.

Cantankerous 05.29.2008 06:08 AM

is it horrible that i found these amusing?

screamingskull 05.29.2008 06:37 AM

yeah, he's pretty interesting, i still prefer Gus Van Sant and Jack Siegel though, but they are just artists who are working in the style i love.

Gus Van Sant

Jack Siegel

sarramkrop 05.29.2008 06:52 AM

Boyd Rice is far from being a good visual artist but I find him amusing both as a musician and whatever it is that he is into at any particular time. Jack Siegel and Gus Van Sant's pictures I find a little too anonymous looking. They're ok, don't get me wrong, it's just that they seem to lack any character.

Danny Himself 05.29.2008 06:58 AM

Boyd Rice is an asshole.

sarramkrop 05.29.2008 07:00 AM

Oh Danny, we've had this before. He is certainly capable of being quite the arsehole and I couldn't disagree more with some of his ''ideas'', yet he tackles subjects in a way that I find appealing.

Toilet & Bowels 05.29.2008 07:05 AM

please danny, you're english, say arsehole

Tokolosh 05.29.2008 07:06 AM

Unpop Art = Yawn.
Rice is an attention seeking tosser, with no clue about aesthetics.

Danny Himself 05.29.2008 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Oh Danny, we've had this before. He is certainly capable of being quite the arsehole and I couldn't disagree more with some of his ''ideas'', yet he tackles subjects in a way that I find appealing.

We have indeed clashed over this before, somewhere in the past. I just don't agree with how he's treated women on certain occasions in his personal life and I know it's a little silly to write off his artwork because of this, but I do anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by toilet and bowels

Sorry, I just got off the phone with some American telemarketing arsehole and she couldn't even spell my name properly, so when I had her spell it out she still couldn't understand a word I was saying. So I guess I was in American-spelling/expletive mode.

God Save The Queen.

Danny Himself 05.29.2008 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingskull
Gus Van Sant

That film was so boring. Except for the part where the security guard is cut in two by the train and he's crawling towards the kid for help and all his entrails are being dragged behind him, that was pretty Savini-esque and I enjoyed it.

Toilet & Bowels 05.29.2008 07:13 AM

never checked out boyd rice's music, it's not particularly high on my list of priorities, the fact the he was/is (is he alive?) a moronic loser isn't encouraging me to check him out either.

screamingskull 05.29.2008 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
That film was so boring. Except for the part where the security guard is cut in two by the train and he's crawling towards the kid for help and all his entrails are being dragged behind him, that was pretty Savini-esque and I enjoyed it.

That is such a typical reaction, i expect you were looking like this whilst you typed that.

The thing about Gus Van Sant's films is that they are not plot driven, they are art based films. So if you're looking for a blockbuster then go see something else.

sarramkrop 05.29.2008 07:20 AM

I don't think that I've ever watched a movie by Van Sant that didn't want to make me sleep soundly. He really, really should have stuck at being a musician.

sarramkrop 05.29.2008 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokolosh
Unpop Art = Yawn.
Rice is an attention seeking tosser, with no clue about aesthetics.

Well, tokolosh, that is a bit generic. I think that we both like sometimes artists that could be deemed pretentious attention-seekers. Boyd Rice is one of them for sure, he still manages to remain less annoying than your Tracy Emins etc etc, at least because I'm fairly sure he knows that he's never gonna get overexposed any time soon. As a musician alone he made some great records with NON, solo or others.

Tokolosh 05.29.2008 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Well, tokolosh, that is a bit generic. I think that we both like sometimes artists that could be deemed pretentious attention-seekers. Boyd Rice is one of them for sure, he still manages to remain less annoying than your Tracy Emins etc etc, at least because I'm fairly sure he knows that he's never gonna get overexposed any time soon. As a musician alone he made some great records with NON, solo or others.

His "art" reminds me of stuff I would encounter at rotten.com, t-shirt hell and the like. Cheap and gimmicky. I have no comment about his music.

Cantankerous 05.29.2008 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels

he's a traitor, he likes american fast food.

sarramkrop 05.29.2008 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokolosh
His "art" reminds me of stuff I would encounter at rotten.com, t-shirt hell and the like. Cheap and gimmicky. I have no comment about his music.

Yeah I agree, it is awful, wrong and cheap-looking. That's why I like it.

MellySingsDoom 05.29.2008 08:43 AM

Wacky Boydy-Woydy-Wice and his Barbie Doll collection? He sure is a jolly japester, innie? (I suspect though he smells of wee).

Dead-Air 05.29.2008 09:43 AM

I like some of Non's music, but then his damn personality always muddles it up in the back of my mind. His art brings that personality to the forebrain, and so I dislike it because I dislike him as a perpetual twelve year old boy discovering Nietzche and that he can piss off his parents without getting kicked off the trust fund. I find it impossible to judge as if it were by somebody anonymous, but then I'd probably still find it boring at best.