Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   MPP===best album of all time (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=28682)

SYRFox 01.05.2009 04:35 PM

4.5/5 on tiny mix tapes

sarramkrop 01.05.2009 04:56 PM

it's getting slagged off all over the internet, you multi-lingual posters. maybe the world finally came to realise that music with no heart or soul is a waste of time.

Rob Instigator 01.05.2009 05:02 PM

hahahahah!!!!!! That is EXACTLY IT!

That is what was missing from goddamn strawberry jam and shit! The music has no heart nor soul. it is a goddamned fucking clinical etude in indie rockin'.

I'd rather listen to Motorhead

Glice 01.05.2009 05:03 PM

They might be giants.

sarramkrop 01.05.2009 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

That is what was missing from goddamn strawberry jam and shit! The music has no heart nor soul. it is a goddamned fucking clinical etude in indie rockin'.

me too, rob. give me motorhead over this bunch of record collection shits anytime!

sarramkrop 01.05.2009 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
They might be giants.

or just shit.:)

acousticrock87 01.05.2009 05:12 PM

Ah, you kids and your leather jacket pool parties and...

uhler 01.05.2009 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krastian
So, they named their album Merriweather Post Pavillion, eh?

That's some Maryland love right thar.

i think that's the only thing i will like about this album. my computer is still broke so i can't dl it and i doubt i would dl ac anyway. there's no way in hell i would ever buy an ac album, so i will most likely never hear this.

for the record i don't like ac except for one song off "feels". i can't even fake liking them to girls on dates.

davenotdead 01.05.2009 05:29 PM

Quote:

say what you will, but the part in bold is just wrong... i don't see how you could know more about them than i do... but if you do, how did you find out they have no heart?

sarramkrop 01.05.2009 05:35 PM

by listening to them? maybe, you know, like, maybe. Rob likes some awful shit, mind.

Rob Instigator 01.05.2009 05:36 PM

it is a FEELING, just like laughter.
and just as valid.

animal collective albums sound soulless. they do not make my blood pump. they do not give me that musical rush i seek.

sarramkrop 01.05.2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GravitySlips
yes, i always cringe when i hear that with regard to any band ... "their music has no heart/no soul".

ridiculous thing to say.

you can't cringe, you're a robot.

Rob Instigator 01.05.2009 05:37 PM

it is all personal taste anyways.

I just do not hear the appeal that makes everyone lick the cockcheese from AC's foreskin.

sarramkrop 01.05.2009 05:42 PM

Quote:

cringe.

anyway, i'm downloading this just now (oh no!). can't wait to listen.

you haven't even listened to it and you get all defensive? you're not a robot, you're just lame. i seem to remember you also like to keep up with what's cool with the kids these days, right? hmm...

acousticrock87 01.05.2009 05:43 PM

As much as I disagree with Rob on this particular album, he's right. Music evokes a feeling, and if it doesn't sound right to you, it just doesn't. No big deal.

Rob Instigator 01.05.2009 05:47 PM

NO BIG DEAL. exactly

If you love AC then love them. I love sonic youth and 95% of the people in my life cannot figure out why. doesn;t bother me.

I love sarramkrop and the two Johns from They Might Be Giants are AGHAST!

sarramkrop 01.05.2009 05:48 PM

Quote:

don't remember defending anything to be honest.

and yeah, i mean if it's cool it must be good right? nice analysis man!!

ANYWAY I CAN'T WAIT TO LISTEN TO THIS!

you listen to a record just to be contrary? what are you, a paedo or something?

sarramkrop 01.05.2009 05:54 PM

Quote:

a raging paedo

AC play toy-sounding music. I can see how they appeal to you.

SuperCreep 01.05.2009 06:03 PM

Quote:

animal collective albums sound soulless. they do not make my blood pump. they do not give me that musical rush i seek.

I used to feel the exact same way about them. After giving them a lot of chances, though, melodies that came across as annoying to me the first few times suddenly seemed welcome and I found their music to have some pretty interesting texture to it. Weird thing. It's very rare that I give a band I despise a lot of chances either, but it worked with Beefheart, so I guess good things happen sometimes.

I can definitely understand where yr coming from, though. Even if I like them now, a lot of their stuff indeed does lack soul.

atsonicpark 01.06.2009 12:57 AM

Yeah, but Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band are the greatest band of all time. So, I could see giving them infinite number of chances... but AC? I dunno. I like them, but really, they're just a melodically-pleasing pop band with experimental structures and production. Not really that big of a deal. I wouldn't give em a bunch of chances, life's too short; you can be listening to OUR BROTHER THE NATIVE instead...