Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   I must have this guitar! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=20354)

Sonic Youth 37 03.10.2008 03:01 PM

I must have this guitar!

Ibanez Omar Rodríguez-López edition. about $670. I don't think it's out yet but it should be released very soon.

fugazifan 03.10.2008 03:19 PM

her?

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 03.10.2008 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fugazifan
her?

HAHA. Nice Arrested Development reference.

Does the Omar sig give you a big lame Afro and make you get you amazing acclaim for just playing random shit on a guitar with lots of effects?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8YLDb2hiLU

Savage Clone 03.10.2008 03:31 PM

I can't hang with a one-pickup model.

king_buzzo 03.10.2008 03:32 PM

i need a new amp,

batreleaser 03.10.2008 03:38 PM

looks nice. omar rodrigues lopez should just fuckin quit mars volta and focus on his solo stuff. he really is a hell of a guitar player and artist, but he wastes his time in that awful, pretentious, joke of a band mars volta, and yet his solo records are pretty good, the manual dexterity soundtrack is tripped out as fuck, without the pointless 17 minute interludes.

pbradley 03.10.2008 04:20 PM

I could never own an artist's edition of a guitar.

king_buzzo 03.10.2008 04:22 PM

it's not that cool.

Sonic Youth 37 03.10.2008 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
I could never own an artist's edition of a guitar.

See? I didn't think I could, but they made this one. I'd been looking at getting a Jet King, which has the same basic body, but then I saw this and really like the black and shell pickguard combo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Does the Omar sig give you a big lame Afro and make you get you amazing acclaim for just playing random shit on a guitar with lots of effects?

I never thought of them as having a lot of acclaim. From most things I've read, the media just shits on them for being "too prog/latin" or "not prog/latin enough" and for not being At The Drive-In.

avantgarde1 03.10.2008 06:29 PM

that's because apart, mars volta and sparta suck donkey dick... but when they come together and form like voltron at-the drive in is fucking amazing! why'd they break up again? that guitar does look pretty kool though, but i'm not in love w/ that 1 pickup shit.

batreleaser 03.10.2008 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avantgarde1
that's because apart, mars volta and sparta suck donkey dick... but when they come together and form like voltron at-the drive in is fucking amazing! why'd they break up again? that guitar does look pretty kool though, but i'm not in love w/ that 1 pickup shit.

yup, you get the sparta boys who bring the rites of spring emo hardcore, and then omar and cedric bringing in their psychedelic and prog and dub and avant garde shit in, and you get one crazy ass punk rock band! can you imagine the records they could have made had they not broken up?

Cantankerous 03.10.2008 07:25 PM

buy it then? surely if you haven't got the funds now it won't take long to save up enough.
i have too many guitars. i have one guitar in particular that i haven't played since i was 14.

Sonic Youth 37 03.10.2008 07:47 PM

I'm $70 light and I have 4 guitars as it is.

batreleaser 03.10.2008 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37

nice collection, im only packin 2, and ibanez and a fender jaguar. ive been playin trumpet mostly these days though.

Cantankerous 03.10.2008 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37

sell that tele

Sonic Youth 37 03.10.2008 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
nice collection, im only packin 2, and ibanez and a fender jaguar. ive been playin trumpet mostly these days though.

Haha. Total there, is about $370. The Teisco's high e frets are bad in several places and the green/blue Tele p/ups are screwed, the bridge goes out unless the switch is in exact right place, the tone knob goes out sometimes and is useless mostly and the neck p/up barely has any volume. I need to just have the whole set-up replaced.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
sell that tele

Which one? The green one, no. And the black one, I really wouldn't want to because I got a killer deal on it. As in, 1/3 list price plus a hardshell case. And it only has a few finish scuffs.

Cantankerous 03.10.2008 07:58 PM

just buy the damn thing then

Sonic Youth 37 03.10.2008 07:59 PM

I think I'm going to sell the Teisco if I could get a serious taker. That would give me enough for the guitar and a few effects or something.

ALIEN ANAL 03.10.2008 09:38 PM

oi sonic funk youth 37
i have a jet king
its pretty delightful

Sonic Youth 37 03.11.2008 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALIEN ANAL
oi sonic funk youth 37
i have a jet king
its pretty delightful

Cool. I'd forgotten that a local pawn shop has a butterscotch Jet King for about $200, I think. I might just grab that in the mean time.