Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   dancehall (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3487)

Toilet & Bowels 06.27.2006 04:23 PM

dancehall

they make some good tunes but they often say horrid things about gays.

what do you think about dancehall music?

Savage Clone 06.27.2006 04:31 PM

I have always found this genre annoying.
Like Zydeco, I have honestly never heard a single piece of music in this genre that I could like on any level.

porkmarras 06.27.2006 04:32 PM

Purely on musical terms there is stuff here and there that i like.When someone gets banned from playing live because of their vile lyrics(what was his name?),they fucking deserve it and a punch in the face too.I'm afraid i'm not kind on cunts who go on about racism and brotherhood and then proceed on writing lyrics that say that gays should be killed and women should be used as doormats.In that case you deserve all the racism that you get.Period.

Toilet & Bowels 06.27.2006 04:46 PM

yeah, fair points. i just find some of their beats to be quite interesting and enjoyable to listen to though, it's not a style of music i have a deep interest in but i enjoy it from type to time. who was it that got banned?

savage clone is just a musical white supremacist!

porkmarras 06.27.2006 04:50 PM

That wasn't so long ago.I'll google something because i can't remember his name but he managed to mobilitate a lot of anti-homophobic campaigners into stopping him from playing in the UK.Rightly.Savage Clone is the Hitler of the psyche rock scene.White as only Snowwhite can be.

Glice 06.27.2006 04:56 PM

Elephant Man got in hot water in the UK over his 'burn down a batty man' lyric.

Beenie Man got in hot water in the States over something or other - I think this was a political thing rather than a lyrical thing.

Buju Banton got into similar trouble in the early 90's.

I loves me dancehall, but I get put off by the terrible lyrics. I recently re-discovered a lady saw album at the back of my collection. She comes highly recommended on the basis of her 'what the fuck did she just say?' lyrics. Possibly the filthiest woman alive.

I happen to think Sizzla is one of the greatest voices in modern music. I am also slightly reticent to buy his music as a result of his explicit political leanings.

It's one of those can of worms arguments, someone will eventually ask the question of whether or not it's homophobia if the country doesn't really have gays... sort of a similar question to the Nordic Church burning death metaller racists who've probably never seen a black man in their lives. Whatever, bullshit is bullshit. Dancehall is more annoying because their bullshit comes clothed in some outstanding music.

Toilet & Bowels 06.27.2006 04:56 PM

yes, not only do they want to kill the gays, but can you imagine my horror when i recently heard a dancehall song that was calling for people to burn the Queen?! Shocking!

Glice 06.27.2006 04:59 PM

Haha. See, I think most reasonable (pinko) people would support the general anti-colonial/ anti-vulgar capitalism sentiment. I just wish they'd stop being so terribly beastly to the bummers.

Is this board becoming white liberal guilt.com, or is it just me?

porkmarras 06.27.2006 04:59 PM

That's pretty much what i'm trying to say here.The musical coating of the lyrics goes from bad to genius but the lyrics are just vile,i'm afraid.And i'm not someone who gets easily offended by that kind of thing either.
edit:this is referred to your first post Glice.

Toilet & Bowels 06.27.2006 05:05 PM

i've never really understood why those chaps take such grievance with the ancient babylonians either

Glice 06.27.2006 05:08 PM

I've said this before, but there are those out there in Dancehall who aren't homophobes, at least not explicitly. Beenie Man hasn't said anything (that I've heard) that is directly homophobic - there's a lot of, "You're a bit gay" posturing, but I don't think that's as offensive as encouraging people to burn gays (or Babylon, or whatever). Ward21 are great (silly), Mr Vegas is a better one-hit wonder (over here) than Shaggy (always shite) and for my money Bounty Killer is one of the better conscious-political lyricists of modern times. Bear in mind that I can't stand political lyrics with that last one.

I understand entirely your concerns, porkie. I think it's slightly dubious to tar everyone making music in Jamaica with the same brush (not that you're doing that) but there's also the problem that it can be incredibly difficult to pick the good chaps out from the wrong 'uns.

The biggest shame is that so many people are frightened away from dancehall because of its lyrical content - this is, of course, entirely understandable - but you get less and less people buying Jamaican music these days - or if they do they buy the 'roots' bollocks or the classics from mento through to the early 80's. Fair enough, but there's a lot more to Jamaican music than Bob 'fucking shite' Marley.

Oooh, does anyone remember Linton Kwesi Johnson? Fucking diamond.

porkmarras 06.27.2006 05:16 PM

I'm not really that concerned with the whole thing to be honest.If i like a tune,i'll listen to it ignoring the lyrics and,yes,i agree wholeheartedly that not every dancehall musician is a homophobe(it just doesn't work out that way with anything hatred-related i think).All i'm saying is that i find it apalling that you could justify any valuable and coherent anti-racist stance when you yourself are that way inclined.You can only generalize on things like this.That is because these idiots are a poison to the jamaican music industry.

Bob Marley?No.

Savage Clone 06.27.2006 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
savage clone is just a musical white supremacist!

My jazz, Indian, Japanese and early American music recordings sure do make me look like a card-carrying member of the Aryan Nations, all right!

Linton Kwesi Johnson's "Dread Beat An' Blood" is a fine listen as well.

Glice 06.27.2006 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
I'm not really that concerned with the whole thing to be honest.If i like a tune,i'll listen to it ignoring the lyrics and,yes,i agree wholeheartedly that not every dancehall musician is a homophobe(it just doesn't work out that way with anything hatred-related i think).All i'm saying is that find it apalling that you could justify any valuable and coherent anti-racist stance when you yourself are that way inclined.You can only generalize on things like this.That is because these idiots are a poison to the jamaican music industry.

Bob Marley?No.

Agreed. I wasn't particularly directing my statement at yourself. I was, as with all my posts, offerring my words up in recompense for my sins against God.

Jah rastafari. Yibby yibby yo ya yay and all that bollocks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
My jazz, Indian, Japanese and early American music recordings sure do make me look like a card-carrying member of the Aryan Nations, all right!

Linton Kwesi Johnson's "Dread Beat An' Blood" is a fine listen as well.

Wot, no gypsy music? Romanophobe.

Toilet & Bowels 06.27.2006 05:23 PM

yeah, it really irritates me when the only jamaican music people know is bob marley, nothing i've heard from him as ever really done a great deal for me, although i haven't heard, but am keen to hear the stuff he recorded with lee perry

Toilet & Bowels 06.27.2006 05:27 PM

the japs don't count because they were on the same side as the nazis anyway.

Savage Clone 06.27.2006 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Wot, no gypsy music? Romanophobe.

Actually I do have some of that as well, now that you mention it. I have it filed near my Andean flute LPs and my "World Of Islam" series, which is adjacent to my Basque and Andalusian recordings.

Savage Clone 06.27.2006 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
the japs don't count because the were on the same side as the nazis anyway.

It only counts if you can get "blood in the face," my friend.

Glice 06.27.2006 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Actually I do have some of that as well, now that you mention it. I have it filed near my Andean flute LPs and my "World Of Islam" series, which is adjacent to my Basque and Andalusian recordings.

Wot, no gamelan? Balineaphobe.

[I assure you this'll be the last use of a not terribly good joke]

Savage Clone 06.27.2006 05:30 PM

I have booked a Gamelan every year at my annual festival of music! Ha!