Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   KoRn, Life Is Peachy. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=20046)

floatingslowly 02.28.2008 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by val-holla-ing
deftones > korn 4 lyfez.

do they still call you The Truth?

and by they, I mean, cryptowonderdruginvogue.

uhler 02.28.2008 11:56 AM

Quote:

what ever happened to fieldy? didn't he do a rap album?

and deftones > korn 4 lyfez.

yes! i get to post this album cover again.

val-holla-ing 02.28.2008 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floatingslowly
do they still call you The Truth?

and by they, I mean, cryptowonderdruginvogue.

is crypto still alive? b/c if so, so is The Truth.

even if he isn't, The Truth shall live on. chuuuuuuch.

i was listening to "white pony" the other day, and it holds up surprisingly well.

val-holla-ing 02.28.2008 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uhler

yes! i get to post this album cover again.

i think i'm making it my goal in life to get that posted as many times as possible.

uhler 02.28.2008 12:32 PM

Quote:

i think i'm making it my goal in life to get that posted as many times as possible.

that's already my goal. so if we work together we could have it posted all over the board.

uhler 02.28.2008 12:33 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LXhOfQ6_MQY

there's the music video

val-holla-ing 02.28.2008 12:34 PM

remind me. what's getting posted all over the board?

uhler 02.28.2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

remind me. what's getting posted all over the board?

floatingslowly 02.28.2008 12:40 PM

that cover is such total bullshit.

those women are still wearing their panties.

val-holla-ing 02.28.2008 12:41 PM

well it IS fieldy.

floatingslowly 02.28.2008 12:43 PM

if I could get their panties off in traffic, so could Fieldy.

just sayin'.

uhler 02.28.2008 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floatingslowly
if I could get their panties off in traffic, so could Fieldy.

just sayin'.

he was too busy thinking about playing his bass upright while doing a headbob.

floatingslowly 02.28.2008 12:48 PM

ahhh that explains it then.

I have no such handicap.

uhler 02.28.2008 12:51 PM

val-holla-ing 02.28.2008 01:42 PM

didn't he have an album?

uhler 02.28.2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

didn't he have an album?

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski 02.28.2008 02:29 PM

I've been trying to get more interested in the early 2000's "Rock and Roll Gangster" musical movement. Could anyone recommend me any good cds?

Everyneurotic 02.28.2008 02:36 PM

here's my opinion on korn's discography that i know:

s/t: this has their best songs and they go at it like if they were about to beat someone who yelled "limp bizkit sucks!". amazing delivery and pretty much their best all around.

life is peachy: much darker, sparser and weird, the band does less songs and more atmospherics, but they still can rage. they should have stayed in this road, the only throwaway is "a.d.i.d.a.s." and became their big hit.

follow the leader: a big disappointment and the beginning of the end, super smooth production and a lot more sampling, crippling both guitarists sonic explorations, most of the riffs are handled by fieldy (which is now more than clear he was the weakest tit in the band) and jonathan lacks any rage compared to the other two. still, "got the life" and "freak on a leash" are good singles, "dead bodies everywhere" and "justin" are amazing songs and it's mostly solid with some filler. their cover of cheech and chong's "earache my eye" is pretty cool too.

issues: a left turn, the band decided to change their songwriting approach and worked pretty much well; lyrically it's weaker, the delivery isn't as brutal but the songs are more well done. as adam noted, it has many interludes and bridging songs, but still, a step ahead after the ones taken back on follow the leader.

beyond: a big dump of shit.

and, while around the fur is one of my favorite records, i think korn in their prime, before 1998, were much better than the deftones besides atf. now both bands are awful of course.

ps: anybody else noticed fieldy's bass tone? it sounds like he plugged into a car speaker that's shorting and it's that way for the most part of their discography, didn't anybody in the studio notice this?

Glice 02.28.2008 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
...it's worth noting that Munky and Head are cited by anyone who is serious about music as revolutionary guitar players...

At the risk of indulging your tireless hyperbole, there are some mighty fine guitar bits on this record. They do the thing that SY do of having interlocking bits rather than lead/ rhythm (or whatever)... more of a group effort + singer than 'guitar hero 1' + 'guitar hero 2'. It's almost a shame how about four million bands stole wholesale from this record to the point where it's almost impossible to hear it as any good these days.

uhler 02.28.2008 03:03 PM

anyone that kn ows anything about bass knows the guy who did this album

is amazing at what he does.