Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

Severian 11.19.2019 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i dont know this “everyone” that you speak of. i think there’s a thread about it here actually, and as i recall opinions were divided. who cares though? i mean... i don’t like it because other people like it... anyone who does that is an idiot. i just like what i like and my tastes change with time and that’s life. what’s interesting for me is to hear other people’s explanations.

anyway joy division was a great band, no doubt. but my problem with them now is i can always hear the hangman. i mean this constant drive towards depression and self obliteration that promptly tires me the fuck out.

new order was a great reinvention, and has a much larger output and were in more ways defining of their era. yes they at times made some horrendous unlistenable disco, but their best stuff i can listen to all day in every possible remix and not feel like i drank a bad batch of kombucha and now need medicine.

So I spend too much time on twitter. Leamealone

Severian 11.19.2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
In a parallel dimension, maybe. First time ever I hear such a thing. :confused:

Twitter, me, too much, leammelone

!@#$%! 11.19.2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
So I spend too much time on twitter. Leamealone

but if i do then you’ll go back on twatter and disintegrate into 280 character madness

Genteel Death 11.19.2019 11:18 AM

Albert Ayler ‎- Bells
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGq5-n_AL-0

Antagon 11.19.2019 04:26 PM

Antagon 11.19.2019 04:34 PM

Quote:

Man, everyone says New Order > Joy Division but I just cannot abide that.

For my dumb, uncultured ass, the band that made Unknown Pleasures & Closer is >>>>

Everyone, really? Up until now I'd have been hardpressed to find anyone who'd say so. Maybe I live in a bubble, but it's Joy Division over New Order all the way. And I strongly agree with that assessment. Not that I don't like New Order, they had a few absolute bangers, but their output doesn't even come close to the impact Joy Division had on me - both on an emotional level and relating to my listening habits.

Antagon 11.19.2019 05:18 PM

Antagon 11.19.2019 06:51 PM

Weyes Blood - Rough Trade Session (EP)

A condensed, stripped-down cut with the perfomances of three of the (imho) best tracks of the most recent album. Her voice can really shine with this arrangement. If I were to nitpick, then I'd say it's a pity that arguably the most impressive track of the album - its showstopping opener "A Lot's Gonna Change" was reduced to a short instrumental intro. And granted, the featured tracks had added layers of arrangement on the album that worked in their favor. But it's a really solid release that perfectly accentuates both the vocal and songwriting skills of Weyes Blood and all of the tracks I thought were kind of meandering on Titanic Rising are blissfully absent. So I enjoyed it a lot more than the album. Highly recommended.

Severian 11.19.2019 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antagon
Everyone, really? Up until now I'd have been hardpressed to find anyone who'd say so. Maybe I live in a bubble, but it's Joy Division over New Order all the way. And I strongly agree with that assessment. Not that I don't like New Order, they had a few absolute bangers, but their output doesn't even come close to the impact Joy Division had on me - both on an emotional level and relating to my listening habits.

I think I’m just falling into a recency bias and letting some thread on twitter impact my reasoning. Must be.

I like New Order too, but I can’t quite concede that they’re better or even at the level of Joy Division, despite being VERY different groups.
It’s not, like, a Minor Threat/Fugazi situation, where the original band is just outclassed in every way by the band that grew from their ashes.

Not saying it’s a Nirvana/Foo Fighters or Beatles/Wings situation either. New Order is great, but ... I mean, JOY DIVISION.

Oh well.
I’m dumb.

Severian 11.19.2019 07:28 PM

Quote:

What did you think of this?

These guys — who I’ve known about since like 2012 or something, unless I’m forgetting something — have become a HUGE thing on 4chan and reddit and other places I refuse to go for obvious reasons. Apparently their debut (2008’s Deathconsciousness, which everyone thinks came out in the 2010s because of a reissue) is considered like GY!BE at their absolute best level post-rock by these kids.

I think it’s solid, but not THAT good. New album has some nice tracks too, but again, not THAT good.

Science Beat is cool.

Overall I like their 2014 album The Unnatural World because I’m a contrarian or whatever

choc e-Claire 11.19.2019 07:31 PM

Quote:

These guys have become a HUGE thing on 4chan

Ah, god bless /mu/core.

The Soup Nazi 11.19.2019 08:54 PM

Quote:

It’s not, like, a Minor Threat/Fugazi situation, where the original band is just outclassed in every way by the band that grew from their ashes.

Oh come ON, that's insane too. I love Fugazi and they were of course more multi-dimensional than Minor Threat, but they most certainly did NOT "outclass" the latter "in every way". "Filler", "Out Of Step"... Fugazi may have done music as good as that, but they didn't surpass it.

Fuck is this "Twitter" shit you get musical statements from, anyways?

The Soup Nazi 11.19.2019 09:13 PM

Quote:

Weyes Blood - Rough Trade Session (EP)

A condensed, stripped-down cut with the perfomances of three of the (imho) best tracks of the most recent album. Her voice can really shine with this arrangement. If I were to nitpick, then I'd say it's a pity that arguably the most impressive track of the album - its showstopping opener "A Lot's Gonna Change" was reduced to a short instrumental intro. And granted, the featured tracks had added layers of arrangement on the album that worked in their favor. But it's a really solid release that perfectly accentuates both the vocal and songwriting skills of Weyes Blood and all of the tracks I thought were kind of meandering on Titanic Rising are blissfully absent. So I enjoyed it a lot more than the album. Highly recommended.

A KCRW session from almost exactly five months ago is still alive on Dime:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d....php?id=652872

By the bye, the Rough Trade Session was originally a bonus disc which came with the (yes) Rough Trade-sold edition of Titanic Rising. Not uncommon Rough Trade shenanigans - Anna Calvi's debut album featured a special collection of classical music selected by Anna, while Caitlin Rose's Own Side Now and The Stand-In both included special additional live/demo goodness. But, as far as I know, the Weyes Blood sesh is the only number which has made it to Bandcamp (in other words, it's the only one you don't have to bleed money to get in decent sound now that the editions with bonus CDs are out of print).

Severian 11.19.2019 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Oh come ON, that's insane too. I love Fugazi and they were of course more multi-dimensional than Minor Threat, but they most certainly did NOT "outclass" the latter "in every way". "Filler", "Out Of Step"... Fugazi may have done music as good as that, but they didn't surpass it.

Fuck is this "Twitter" shit you get musical statements from, anyways?

I love Minor Threat but Fugazi even did proper hardcore better, sorry.

I LOVE Minor Threat. But Fugazi matched the intensity, in different ways, and vastly surpassed MT in terms of dynamics and overall musicality.

Sorry dude yo.

Severian 11.19.2019 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
Ah, god bless /mu/core.

No actually FUCK that shit.

Never been there never will visit. Any semblance of alt-right fuckery makes it a stain on the world.

Also, nobody shuts up about it and it lets everyone think they’re a goddamn expert.

REMEMBER WHEN PEOPLE ACTUALLY HAD TO FIND OUT WHAT THEY LIKED BY, I DUNNO, GOING TO MUSIC STORES AND SHOWS INSTEAD OF DIGITALLY SOCIALIZING WITH GODDAMN CULTURE TROLLS.

Sorry I’m touchy

Severian 11.19.2019 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i needed coffee

Nice

The Soup Nazi 11.19.2019 09:59 PM

Quote:

Never been there never will visit. Any semblance of alt-right fuckery makes it a stain on the world.

Also, nobody shuts up about it and it lets everyone think they’re a goddamn expert.

REMEMBER WHEN PEOPLE ACTUALLY HAD TO FIND OUT WHAT THEY LIKED BY, I DUNNO, GOING TO MUSIC STORES AND SHOWS INSTEAD OF DIGITALLY SOCIALIZING WITH GODDAMN CULTURE TROLLS.

Sorry I’m touchy

I must spread some Reputation around before giving it to this guy again.

!@#$%! 11.19.2019 10:40 PM

Quote:

fuck stores for suburban kids with disposable income

long live napster & full access to all

!@#$%! 11.19.2019 10:41 PM

Quote:

Nice

i love that i can’t understand a word of the lyrics cuz that would ruin it for me

but yeah it did its thing

choc e-Claire 11.19.2019 10:50 PM

Quote:

I needed to include the '/s', didn't I? :D

But yeah, it's annoying: whenever I see there's a 'cool' album that everyone online seems to be into, it's just because it's been circlejerked to oblivion on /mu/.
The frustrating thing is that they actually do have good taste. Even after avoiding Neutral Milk Hotel for months on end, I had to admit that it was pretty good (although that was only to please a friend of mine, who told me he'd listen to Aphex Twin if I did this for him).

I like GY!BE and Kid A and Loveless and all that shit. But now I'm torn between wanting to listen to Spiderland or Soundtracks for the Blind; while also not wanting to feed the circlejerk.