Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   i'm mildly furious, how about you? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6573)

Cantankerous 10.02.2006 01:12 AM

i'm mildly furious, how about you?

do you know how much i am paying for a subscription to the motherfucking NME? and i didn't even know about this until i went upstairs for the mail just a few minutes ago.
$156/year.
FUCK YOU, ENGLAND.

terminal pharmacy 10.02.2006 01:15 AM

really all i can say is read the fine print

Cantankerous 10.02.2006 01:16 AM

i wasn't the one who fucking ordered it, i must have been out of my mind because apparently i agreed to pay for it no mater what the cost.

terminal pharmacy 10.02.2006 01:16 AM

unfortunately then that sucks ass, cancel it and try and claim fraud

Cantankerous 10.02.2006 01:20 AM

i can't claim fraud, they tell you how much it costs. i will gladly cancel it because i have too many goddamn magazines already, i think i have every issue of rolling stone and melody maker from the last 30 years.

_slavo_ 10.02.2006 01:34 AM

switch to fucking WIRE, that's the only worthy one.

_slavo_ 10.02.2006 02:58 AM

crack sales?

CHOUT 10.02.2006 03:03 AM

Think of all the poor children in Africa who don't have subscriptions to NME!

jon boy 10.02.2006 03:17 AM

why read the nme? its atrocious.

sonicl 10.02.2006 03:34 AM

Cantakerous, had you never even read the NME before you ordered the subscription? Surely if you had, you would have realised that even 50 cents an issue would be way more than it's worth.

Or did you order it as a gift for someone else? 'Cos if you did, you're clearly a lovely person, and I'd like a new car, please.

HaydenAsche 10.02.2006 09:20 AM

Poor girl. NME is terrible.

Inhuman 10.02.2006 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
switch to fucking WIRE, that's the only worthy one.

WIRE's excellent. I love it that you can order back issues as well. The only problem I have with it is that every issue is $13.00 on the shelf. I'll probably subscribe when I can afford it. It introduced me to tonnes of artists - Yellow Swans, Tom Ze, Reverbaphon, Jazzkammer, etc...

What I find hilarious about NME is that they're called "NEW MUSIC EXPRESS" when on the cover of the magazine it talks about Kurt Cobain's death and that he should have hung in there. The Killers? They sound like a shitty rock band that would worship all those other bands with lame names like the Strokes. Magazines like this are aimed at people who are really into music but are too handicapped to understand that there's better music out there. Sure I respect Nirvana, and even though I think Billie Joe can lick my left nut, I don't mind dookie. It's just their lack of coverage and (probably) include MYCHEMICALATREYUFOLDDAY because 13 year olds (and musically declined older people) buy their shit. I don't even want to start on their top 20 gigs.

atari 2600 10.02.2006 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kegmama
Cantankerous- How/Where do you get so much spending money?
$700 guitars, $150 magazine subscriptions... You are one lucky bitch.

the nose knows

Pookie 10.02.2006 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inhuman
WIRE's excellent. I love it that you can order back issues as well. The only problem I have with it is that every issue is $13.00 on the shelf. I'll probably subscribe when I can afford it. It introduced me to tonnes of artists - Yellow Swans, Tom Ze, Reverbaphon, Jazzkammer, etc...

It's worth subscribing because it makes it cheaper and you get all the free CD's (actually I don't know if you get the CD's overseas!).

EDIT: Why buy NME?

Inhuman 10.02.2006 10:07 AM

Yep! I pick up an issue every once in a while and they come with the WIRE tapper. They really set them up well, and I like how they go over every track on the CD in the magazine. I'm thinking about asking for a subscription for christmas.

sonic sphere 10.02.2006 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
why read the nme? its atrocious.

i agree

racehorse 10.02.2006 10:38 AM

i bought a NME issue once when i was in an airport, and i thought i'd see what the fuss is all about. i think it contained 50% kurt cobain trivia and about 50% of the new cuntish little british band with the trendy haircuts, pointy shoes, polo shirts and the endearing sheffield accents (which are the next big thing by the way...). stay away.
ps NME is my enemy

golden child 10.02.2006 10:54 AM

each wire back issue is 7 dollars from the website, and that includes shipping.

if you find one on the shelves, its not even worth it. subscription is still 70 bucks... eh???????? no thanks.

still good when ya get ahold of it.

porkmarras 10.02.2006 10:54 AM

I've been buying the nme for years.It is utter rubbish these days but i generally have £ 2 to spare every week.End of the story.

golden child 10.02.2006 10:57 AM

the thing about NME, its always about the same 3 british rock bands. enough about the libertines already!!!!!