Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Jandek recommendation (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=12708)

Bollocks_to_Pop 04.28.2007 04:54 PM

Jandek recommendation
 
So I'm looking at getting a Jandek cd and I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations. I'm thinking about possibly getting Intersteller Discussion, Forgien Keys, or Blue Corpse. What would be the best cd of his to start out with?

Dead-Air 04.28.2007 05:49 PM

Blue Corpse is excellent. I'd reccomend Telegraph Melts myself. To start with, it makes a certain amount of sense to go all the way to the beginning and get Ready for the House though - if you already know you like Jandek.

Here's Seth Tissue's amazing page for in depth write-ups of everything!

Bollocks_to_Pop 04.28.2007 06:06 PM

Thanks. I really wish I had discovered him earlier when he came to Portland about a year ago. This another good website which is how I heard from him. Alot of stuff about experimental bands- www.myrecordcollection.org

Danny Himself 04.28.2007 06:08 PM

Jandek is definitely one of the most interesting people in music. His anonymity, his album covers..

I have never heard any of his songs.

atsonicpark 04.29.2007 12:57 AM

All.

Dead-Air 04.29.2007 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bollocks_to_Pop
Thanks. I really wish I had discovered him earlier when he came to Portland about a year ago. This another good website which is how I heard from him. Alot of stuff about experimental bands- www.myrecordcollection.org


Yes, his set in Portland is probably in my top 10 shows I've ever seen and that's saying a whole hell of a lot. It totally proved that he wasn't the unintentional random artist that some try to paint him as. I know now, that he's known exactly what he was doing from the start, and that he wasn't avoiding live shows because he couldn't pull them off. He was waiting until he was good and ready to show what he can do live. At least as Jandek. I'm highly suspicious that he probably played in a blues group in Texas under another name the whole time too. He was not a novice in the slightest.

Bytor Peltor 12.07.2013 04:13 PM

Curious if anyone has heard Jandek's new 9 disk piano boxset? I've read a few things online, but none included sound samples. Thinking about ordering this from Corwood.

Toilet & Bowels 12.08.2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Yes, his set in Portland is probably in my top 10 shows I've ever seen and that's saying a whole hell of a lot. It totally proved that he wasn't the unintentional random artist that some try to paint him as. I know now, that he's known exactly what he was doing from the start, and that he wasn't avoiding live shows because he couldn't pull them off. He was waiting until he was good and ready to show what he can do live. At least as Jandek. I'm highly suspicious that he probably played in a blues group in Texas under another name the whole time too. He was not a novice in the slightest.


I was really disappointed when I saw him, might give him another shot when he plays here next year though.

guest 01.11.2014 12:06 AM

ummmmmmm.....

 

Bytor Peltor 01.11.2014 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
I was really disappointed when I saw him, might give him another shot when he plays here next year though.


I know each performance is different or at least he tries to make it that way. I don't think you will be disappointed a second time.

Toilet & Bowels 01.11.2014 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
I know each performance is different or at least he tries to make it that way. I don't think you will be disappointed a second time.


OK good.

Bal 01.15.2014 03:16 AM

i really really love the early stuff.
all those have such an eerie vibe. noone can ever come close to it. craaaazy.

greenlight 01.15.2014 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bal
i really really love the early stuff.
all those have such an eerie vibe. noone can ever come close to it. craaaazy.

Bal! How the fuck r u! Good 2 c u still here!

Bal 01.19.2014 04:28 AM

heeeey! im around lurkin man! :D:D:D
great to hear from you!

guest 01.19.2014 06:02 AM

anyone heard the newie athens saturday (recorded in 2012 with bradford cox and a couple of other elephant six members)?? can't find that darl anywhere...

Toilet & Bowels 02.17.2014 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
I know each performance is different or at least he tries to make it that way. I don't think you will be disappointed a second time.


Saw him last night, it was mind blowing, and totally different to the other time I saw him.

Skuj 02.17.2014 05:23 PM

The Wire interview is....interesting. (Part 1 of 2, that.) I also want that 9cd piano thing. Dumb question: how the fuck does one order Jandek cds?

Bytor Peltor 02.25.2014 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skuj
how the fuck does one order Jandek cds?


Ordering Jandek is easier than you think!

Rob Instigator 02.25.2014 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skuj
The Wire interview is....interesting. (Part 1 of 2, that.) I also want that 9cd piano thing. Dumb question: how the fuck does one order Jandek cds?


Holy Jesus where did SKUJ crawl out of?

Skuj 02.26.2014 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Ordering Jandek is easier than you think!


I appreciate this, but do I send well concealed cash?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content 2006 Sonic Youth