Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   DIY t-shirt design (copyright infringment???) (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1448)

nicfit 05.02.2006 02:15 PM

DIY t-shirt design (copyright infringment???)

oh,hi there.
i want to make a diy t-shirt with this design:

as you can see it's a semi-total-rip off of one of sy "official" designs,actually i re-made almost all of it but it's a rip off nonetheless,except for the writings done with the evol font.i don't think sy will ever track me down and sue me if i make a personal t-shirt,right?...the main reason is that i hate shirts with drawings on the back (and the official one has one).actually i don't know why i posted this story here,they would never know i made one if i shut the fu*k up.ha ha....sorry.

Everyneurotic 05.02.2006 02:27 PM

as long as you don't sell it, i don't see the problem

Rob Instigator 05.02.2006 02:39 PM

if you don;t make one I will! I LOVE IT!!!!

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 05.02.2006 02:40 PM

you should write sonic death on the tape.
go for it.

nicfit 05.02.2006 02:54 PM

rhys,you stole my last idea...i'll give it a try,even if the words out of the tape are nice...ha ha,since so many of you liked this maybe i should post a bigger image so anyone can make his own shirt,i'll have it "prefessionaly-pressed" (id this the right word??) in a sport-shop for like 5$...

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 05.02.2006 02:55 PM

wow, thats cheap.

nicfit 05.02.2006 03:11 PM

yessss,god bless decathlon shops...maybe we could set up a thread were people can post their own sy-related t-shirt designs (like the jolie youth one)
here are the last changes...i like them both!

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 05.02.2006 03:14 PM

im not sure which is better. Id like to make a shirt based on my signature.

nicfit 05.02.2006 03:20 PM

hmm...guess i'll go for the "sonic youth" one...
yours is a tough one,you should go to one of those photo-printing shops that can print on shirts and give them the higest dpi resolution print you can get out of that (fabulous) signature pics...probably you'll end up with a shirt with a rectangular frame printed,instead i'll have only the black coloured parts printed in a nice "velvet-like" bumpy tissue---don't know if it has any sense in english,sorry for that,but i am waaaaay too tired...

krastian 05.02.2006 03:54 PM

Do it up man!

nicfit 05.03.2006 06:05 AM

hi there,here is the "final" design (colours match the ones i choose),i changed the font coz the new ones make the design "cleaner"...if you know what i mean...

you are free 05.03.2006 07:57 AM

that's awesome! you should definatley make it. i made a nirvana shirt not long ago. it's a design out of the journals. the seahorse one. i love it!

Alex's Trip 05.03.2006 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
,i'll have it "prefessionaly-pressed" (id this the right word??) in a sport-shop for like 5$...

What kind of place is that? Any specific places? I need to find a place like that.

Onani Nic 05.03.2006 08:44 AM

sonic youth had stencils and t-shirt designs to print to the iron on tshirt transfers on the website a few years ago.

They were pretty cool, i made a shirt with a stencil and fabric paint.

I'm pretty sure they are for you making your own shirts

candymoan 05.03.2006 08:55 AM

sonic youth supports fans doing their own t-shirts..
on the old board, steve actually told the guys to have fun with it..

only you're not supposed to sell them for profit.. then the thing becomes something else entirely..

nicfit 05.03.2006 09:06 AM

you are free (nice nick,i love chan),i'll have it done in a store called "decathlon"(edit: ops,alex's trip made the question...),i have no idea if it is an european sports store,italian or whatever...i'll bring it there in a few minutes,i'll post a picture of the result when i get my shirt back!
onani nic, actually i'm wearing a hoodie done with one of the stencils on the "old site" ;) !
oh,candymoan,the no-profit thing is almost a life-rule for all my "art things".
anyone interested in making a thread with stencils/designs for sonic (non sonic too,maybe) shirts?

candymoan 05.03.2006 09:25 AM

the "post your SY art" threads are always a lot of fun..

i only wish we could upload the images directly from our HDDs - posting URLs is not really my kind of thing..

PAULYBEE2656 05.03.2006 03:59 PM

man nice shirt designs, id go for the sy tape on front and just sonic death on back......

ive just ordered the mangled tape shirt from kungfunation its kinda similar to it.

i wanna make a magik markers shirt sometime, cuz i know they dont do em.

HaydenAsche 05.03.2006 04:01 PM

They look like something an 11 year old with no taste in music would wear to me. Sorry.

Пятхъдесят Шест 05.03.2006 05:01 PM

Actually that design is already on a shirt. They sell it on yod. It says "Your Stupid Band is Killing Music".

And I second what Hayden said. Thats ugly.