Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

The Soup Nazi 01.27.2021 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choc e-Claire

And the mindless trolling keeps on going. Here's the thing: you're perfectly aware that I can't engage in a full-on flame war with you, so you continue to troll and throw shit my way over and over. You're nothing but a manipulative little one, arentcha.

!@#$%! 01.27.2021 01:52 AM

heheh ive heard that and it's good. i do listen to metal machine music as an ambient record anyway so it's just like a room with 2 wallpapers and it makes perfect sense

and im wearing noise cancelling headphones!

anyway a little more late night listening with my book:

i can never get into this band but giving it another go. "phaedra" is a good start...

The Soup Nazi 01.27.2021 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
anyway a little more late night listening with my book:

i can never get into this band but giving it another go. "phaedra" is a good start...

Two things: one, I can't have music on when I'm reading, and two... I'm with Lester Bangs on Tangerine Dream: "the poor man's Fripp & Eno". :D

greenlight 01.27.2021 08:43 AM

Quote:

hey this was great!

i found and listened to this

https://allnightflightrecords.com/co...a-wong-harbors

excellent, a new favorite, thanks so much, will listen to more

It is cool no? I am glad you like it. I like it too, cool stuff.

choc e-Claire 01.27.2021 08:59 AM

loud, atmospheric solo shoegaze project about gender and self-acceptance. one of my crush's favourite records, and one of mine as well.

Savage Clone 01.27.2021 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Two things: one, I can't have music on when I'm reading, and two... I'm with Lester Bangs on Tangerine Dream: "the poor man's Fripp & Eno". :D

Listen to Ultima Thule or Electronic Meditation and get back to us on that.

Savage Clone 01.27.2021 09:47 AM

https://youtu.be/5N1fsblUb9U

Diesel 01.27.2021 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
loud, atmospheric solo shoegaze project about gender and self-acceptance. one of my crush's favourite records, and one of mine as well.

I like!

!@#$%! 01.27.2021 11:51 AM

i need a little more coffee this morning so...

this was a nice documentary too btw

!@#$%! 01.27.2021 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Listen to Ultima Thule or Electronic Meditation and get back to us on that.

hah, they're such a prolific band it's hard to know where to begin with them.

i actually listened to a bit of electronic meditation last night, and liked it a lot, but it did not fit the required soothing mood-- made me kinda jumpy, like listening to a bunch of restless ghosts, which is why i settled on that virgin compilation, and saved their first album for later.

and now awake in the middle of the day it's a great listen. a very good chaos.

i'll check out ultima thule later on so thanks for the suggestions.

h8kurdt 01.27.2021 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi

Woah. WOAH! Step off dissing Tangerine Dream. That run from Phaedra to Stratosfear was just perfect.

h8kurdt 01.27.2021 02:43 PM

Quote:

lmfao

cmon friends, this is funny but let's stick to the whaddaya lissening and skip the validation seeking

im up late reading and i had the eternal airports on

i don't give a shit if anyone else likes it or not but if anyone else needs to chill the fuck out this probably is a good aural pharmaceutical to induce the deep relax

now quit yelling :D

post what you're listening to

ps ok i gave skuj a tiiiiny bit of shit but it was like one sheep shit size not a hot wet steaming cow patty and hopefully with a smile not serious business and only after he said "i cant figure this place out" as if idk.

but i digress

im putting on the noise cancelling headphones so i cant hear any more yelling :D

I had a period where after going to the ten year anniversary of ATP festival I was thoroughly bloody miserable. I was working in a supermarket job I hated and couldn't stomach any music. Except for two albums. This one and Nebraska by Bruce Springsteen (any haters of Bruce need only listen to that album). I specifically have a memory of that period driving to work round these country roads, in December, in the pitch black all the while in the middle of a snowstorm and thinking "Jesus, I'm basically living the front cover of Nebraska and it's as depressing as it looks"

Eno and Harold Budd are my two gods for ambient music. Love them.

!@#$%! 01.27.2021 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
I This one and Nebraska by Bruce Springsteen (any haters of Bruce need only listen to that album).

cinematic lyrics! flannery o'connor + terrence malick's badlands:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska_(song)

i promise to give it a good college try again but im not big on words-based music, and generally (not always) i do not like springsteen's musical style (but i recognize he's known for good lyrics, bit of a poet or whatever.)

his song born to run does give me goosebumps--not out of anything he sez about baby and strapped engines or tramps or whatever, which for me gets on the way of the thing actually, but just the ongoing crescendo in the wagnerian phil spectorism of it all is what does it for me.

the words guy that is my preferred words guy is lou reed who was just... goddammit.

but okay i will try, but whether that works for me or not it shouldn't validate or invalidate your experience yes? as this is not a contest nor a quest for approval.

h8kurdt 01.27.2021 03:12 PM

Quote:

but okay i will try, but whether that works for me or not it shouldn't validate or invalidate your experience yes? as this is not a contest.

Trust me I long ago accepted that Bruce (and Queen whilst we're here) isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. Definitely not needing validation.

Nebraska is different album by him. It's a four track demo that he had intended on 'e-streeting' up but couldn't get it right. Eventually he realised that the demos are perfect as they are a released them.

As a side note-Bruce's intention was for his next album to be the same style of just him and an acoustic. However, his manager Jon Landau told him he'd best go back to the e street to solidify his legacy. That album ended up being Born in the USA. The rest is history.

!@#$%! 01.27.2021 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Bruce (and Queen

im just a poor boy

nobody loves me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ha ha, you know i love queen as well and make no apologies about it. first time i heard sheer heart attack as a child it blew my socks off (one of the few likes from childhood i've preserved.) i loved them all the way up to the game--the disco one that came afterwards broke my heart, even though i liked that bowie song after all. but anyway thar was my last one... i think it was a cassette. now i got a long queen playlist to keep me awake on roadtrips and it's FUN.

as for nebraska, i did try again today but... it's just the wrong music for me. i stopped the album after 1.5 songs, right in the middle of "atlantic city." i just can't stand it. the music i mean. it bothers me. i won't elaborate on that.

i used to have this literature professor who loved to quote from "nebraska," but those are words and not music. i very rarely hear songs as words. maybe it would be different if i did.

first time i heard springsteen as a kid it was probably born in the usa and it... annoyed me. :(

many years later i heard born TO RUN and it did something to me and i bought the cd and then... found myself listening to just the title song out of the many tracks to choose from. damn, i hate the cd era, you'd get stuck with a package of unwanteds just for one song and unlike vinyl there were no singles :D

anyway springsteen is clearly not the artist for me but please enjoy what you love.

and damn, that winter sounds grim. glad you made it to the other side of it.

Savage Clone 01.27.2021 06:25 PM

Quote:

hah, they're such a prolific band it's hard to know where to begin with them.

i actually listened to a bit of electronic meditation last night, and liked it a lot, but it did not fit the required soothing mood-- made me kinda jumpy, like listening to a bunch of restless ghosts, which is why i settled on that virgin compilation, and saved their first album for later.

and now awake in the middle of the day it's a great listen. a very good chaos.

i'll check out ultima thule later on so thanks for the suggestions.

For soothing but not boring, I would recommend ricochet or zeit. The ones I suggested earlier are definitely more bombastic for them. Ricochet is a wonderful slow burn.

!@#$%! 01.27.2021 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
For soothing but not boring, I would recommend ricochet or zeit. The ones I suggested earlier are definitely more bombastic for them. Ricochet is a wonderful slow burn.

great, ricochet is inside that massive compilation i started listening to last night, which includes 4 albums (phaedra, rubycon, ricochet, stratosfear) plus a bunch of other stuff (it's really a long list). but i'll say phaedra fit the bill yesterday.

see track listing here: https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-v...8-mw0002087099

!@#$%! 01.28.2021 12:48 PM

last night i ended up listening to the 2nd tangerine dream album

begins as a continuation of "electronic meditation," veers into psychedelia, adds a crazy organ, then moves into the beginnings of what would years later be called "space music" (a trippier new agey form of ambient i guess) then ends with the glorious krautrock of ultima thule pt 1... my only criticism of this final track is that it was too damn short, i loved the drums and wanted the whole thing to go on for another 20 minutes.

all of these pieces of music i think were unusual for their time, and all of them were very different from each other, which i guess foreshadows the diversity of what would become their future production.

on to the next one later...

The Soup Nazi 01.28.2021 07:04 PM

^ ^ and ^: I... won't say anything.

(That was some evident passive-aggressive shit. :D)

!@#$%! 01.29.2021 10:06 AM

beginning with the third one...

--

those buzzing strings are great, so fingers crossed for the rest...

eta: was a pretty great dark ambient record. probably my favorite so far: more coherent as an album than the previous two, and better sounding.