Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   evolution of the hipster 2000-2009 (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=36071)

notyourfiend 12.03.2009 03:12 PM

evolution of the hipster 2000-2009

http://digital.pastemagazine.com/publication/?i=26727&p=29

My friend Mike is the male model they used for all of the photos. He's actually a pretty cool dude. He used to intern at and later work for Paste. Thought it was hilarious that they were using him to model.

jon boy 12.03.2009 03:14 PM

ha thats good. i fucking hate hipsters.

Satan 12.03.2009 03:17 PM

hahahah

ever notice that they just keep getting more and more ridiculous as the years go by?

Keeping It Simple 12.03.2009 03:29 PM

What on earth possesses them?

gmku 12.03.2009 03:41 PM

I actually see perfect examples of these people all over Asheville. And no, I am not one of them.

#s 3 & 7 are especially prevelant. They seem to mesh well with A/ville's Appalachian backporch hippie vibe.

Rob Instigator 12.03.2009 03:42 PM

Swa(y) we miss ya

Rob Instigator 12.03.2009 03:45 PM

man, someone's got to keep it "hip."

when yr 17 and own nothing, have accomplished nothing, still rely on yr folks for money, etc., all you got is looking hip!!!!

gmku 12.03.2009 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Swa(y) we miss ya

ha ha!

notyourfiend 12.03.2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
I actually see perfect examples of these people all over Asheville. And no, I am not one of them.

I see perfect examples of those people both in Baltimore and New York City (Esp. Williamsburg during the summer when all the college kids are interning at magazines and photography studios).

Mike the model thought this shit was so hilarious.

ploesj 12.03.2009 03:59 PM

that's really well done, haha!

gmku 12.03.2009 04:32 PM

The Native American cigarette brand is a true hipster trademark.

floatingslowly 12.03.2009 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notyourfiend
My friend Mike is the male model they used for all of the photos. He's actually a pretty cool dude.

he wears girl pants.

jon boy 12.03.2009 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satan
hahahah

ever notice that they just keep getting more and more ridiculous as the years go by?

sounds like someone on here.

Norma J 12.03.2009 08:18 PM

I don't get the hipster thing. Everyone cares about how they look - just head on over to the "post a picture of yourself" thread. hipsters.

Silent Dan Speaks 12.03.2009 09:39 PM

So do they realize how stupid they look? I don't really understand them at all. The one good thing about Indianapolis is we hardly have any here.

amerikangod 12.03.2009 09:39 PM

I was hoping this would be more accurate in its evolution and thorough in its survey.

wellcharge 12.03.2009 09:54 PM

mountain man looks like me, but i'm from the mountains so fuck off article,i'm not a hipster :(

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 12.03.2009 10:52 PM

I've kind of got the mountain man thing going too. Jeans, flannel shirt, flask, beard. . . but I wash my hair and don't wear a beanie and trim my beard and just generally don't look like a hobo.

davenotdead 12.04.2009 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J
I don't get the hipster thing. Everyone cares about how they look - just head on over to the "post a picture of yourself" thread. hipsters.

not true. go back about 10 pages or whenever my last photo barf was.

i'm just ahead of the game... the '2011 hipster' will be the anti-cool, wear whatever doesn't look good on you that i have been rocking the shit out of in 09

wellcharge 12.04.2009 01:23 AM

i saw on the homepage there's going to be a new arcade fire album, what an incredible band, they push the boundaries of uninteresting with every release

DeadDiscoDildo 12.04.2009 02:58 AM

Some of the hipster things I get...but some of them are just fucking clothes....stfu already...

"you grew a beard and wear flannel shirt? Wow you trend stealing fuck"

really?

I mean....why can't someone grow a beard and wear a t-shirt...? haha

People either do what they want to do, or do what they think they should do...those are the only two labels you should give someone...

clothes are just clothes. eat some acid and realize we're all the same...

...do it.

alteredcourse 12.04.2009 03:02 AM

What does acid have to do with that?

pbradley 12.04.2009 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
Some of the hipster things I get...but some of them are just fucking clothes....stfu already...

"you grew a beard and wear flannel shirt? Wow you trend stealing fuck"

really?

"Trend stealing" sounds like a hipster concept.

pbradley 12.04.2009 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amerikangod
I was hoping this would be more accurate in its evolution and thorough in its survey.

Then came the Great Nirvana Explosion and the Grungi Authenticus fell apathetically into extinction except for a small sum which lived on the island of Indie, too far from the blast. In their isolation within the less viable terrain, the native grunger gave way to the more elusive and defensive Indiae Rockora.

Like that?

Glice 12.04.2009 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J

This. If this was the Status Quo forum, I wouldn't agree with the above at all.

radarmaker 12.04.2009 07:36 AM

Dontcha know that denim jackets & greasy ponytails are what every good hipster will be sporting in 2010?

Glice 12.04.2009 07:45 AM

Hipsters will be wearing whatever hipsters say hipsters wear, same as forever, I'd imagine. Though the prospect of more Parfitt-alikes is very alluring.

gmku 12.04.2009 08:48 AM

I bought 4 flannel shirts this fall and I love them and wear them quite a bit outside of work. Doesn't make me a hipster. I just like how they look and feel.

wellcharge 12.04.2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
clothes are just clothes. eat some acid and realize we're all the same...

you're mostly right, but a lot of us have come to terms with the fact that we aren't the same as john lennon

cryptowonderdruginvogue 12.04.2009 10:43 AM

lol @ y'all

!@#$%! 12.04.2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notyourfiend
http://digital.pastemagazine.com/publication/?i=26727&p=29

My friend Mike is the male model they used for all of the photos. He's actually a pretty cool dude. He used to intern at and later work for Paste. Thought it was hilarious that they were using him to model.

very funny shit. read some of it last night. the magazine chose some shitty books for its top 10 but that's life. might peruse further.

here in albuquerque the mountain man look still rages on. as a matter of fact i was talking to one of them last friday at a bar.

Quote:

I bought 4 flannel shirts this fall and I love them and wear them quite a bit outside of work. Doesn't make me a hipster.

wan't that a 1995 thing? ive been catching up some episodes of my so called life (yes, it's embarrassing, but i had never seen it all & there were so many plot holes) and that's what the kids were wearing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie

this=good!

automatic bzooty 12.04.2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

i've been rereading goodbye 20th century and there's a photo of lee and thurston at cbgb in 1982 ... but, like, the picture could have been taken in '82, '92, '02 ... t's wearing a plaid shirt and ripped jeans.

clothes is clothes. er sometimes.

jon boy 12.04.2009 01:38 PM

more parfitt a likes would be indeed awesome. he can get a cotton bud through his septum you know?

DeadDiscoDildo 12.04.2009 01:54 PM

for sure, some clothes are just timeless...

but then if you wear them, and have a beard...yr a hipster haha...

DeadDiscoDildo 12.04.2009 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellcharge
you're mostly right, but a lot of us have come to terms with the fact that we aren't the same as john lennon

Sure you are, you have flesh and bone and heart and lungs and nose and teeth and possibly a brain and doubtfully a heart...like we all do...

DeadDiscoDildo 12.04.2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alteredcourse
What does acid have to do with that?

It's the great equalizer. Though I was high when I wrote this, I wouldnt suggest doing acid if you havent already. It makes smart people think they are smarter, and dumb people definitely dumber.

DeadDiscoDildo 12.04.2009 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
"Trend stealing" sounds like a hipster concept.

I don't even know what trend stealing is supposed to mean, I suppose I just meant to say "you trendy fuck"...haha

leave me alone!!!!!! Im emo now!!!!

Rob Instigator 12.04.2009 02:07 PM

Jumping someone else's train

gmku 12.04.2009 02:12 PM

Flannel is back--there's kind of a whole Americana thing going on in men's clothing these days, and flannels and tartans are a big part of it. Look at J. Crew, for ex. It's huge this fall/winter. The ones I own are really nice. Slimmer than the 90s grunge style. Nice colorworks too.

!@#$%! 12.04.2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Flannel is back--there's kind of a whole Americana thing going on in men's clothing these days, and flannels and tartans are a big part of it. Look at J. Crew, for ex. It's huge this fall/winter. The ones I own are really nice. Slimmer than the 90s grunge style. Nice colorworks too.

thanks for keeping me up to date with the fashion world man. it's like foresight, or the weather report. i'll be sure to skip this trend just like so many others. the less clothes i have the better-- makes packing easy. my only purchase this winter is a v-neck black sweater. and some basic workout clothes. black is the new black? ha!