Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   what songs... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=16006)

syntax-free 09.01.2007 02:08 PM

what songs...

have made you cry before?
the diamond sea and candle and live version of schizphrenia for me.

deflinus 09.01.2007 02:12 PM

well, not really cry but very emotional. i'd say Unmade Bed. the whole breakdown in that song is just simply insane.

Everyneurotic 09.01.2007 02:18 PM

way more than i would like to, and some i wish they didn't.

Toxa 09.01.2007 06:03 PM

well.

Hoarfrost, Stones, Saucer-Like... Unwind. and a few more, maybe even Genetic.

yes, I'm very emotional.

syntax-free 09.01.2007 08:01 PM

stones is amazing. i love listening to it when i'm in a car

k-krack 09.02.2007 12:42 AM

I was so close to tears basically throughout the entirety of seeing SY, most so during Teen Age Riot (first song, it was so powerful), and when they played the World Looks Red for an encore, I was SO stoked about that, I just freaked out. But no full on cry (probably shed a single tear or two, though).

Other than that, I've listened to SY while whining and crying about other issues, and JC could make me cry any day.

The only songs that have actually made me cry, though, are when I saw the Arcade Fire's Windowsill live (no idea why...), and a few Xiu Xiu songs... possibly a couple more.

syntax-free 09.02.2007 11:41 PM

when i first saw sy live, i can still hear the first minute of teen age riot. i went home after and listened to it, dying of nostalgia

k-krack 09.03.2007 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syntax-free
when i first saw sy live, i can still hear the first minute of teen age riot. i went home after and listened to it, dying of nostalgia

I NEVER listen to songs (well, albums.. I rarely listen to songs on their own...) after I've seen it live. It just can't compare to the live, real thing. This usually lasts a week or two, but sometimes even a month after I still think, "why bother with this?! I've seen it live!"

Cantankerous 09.03.2007 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-krack
I NEVER listen to songs (well, albums.. I rarely listen to songs on their own...) after I've seen it live. It just can't compare to the live, real thing. This usually lasts a week or two, but sometimes even a month after I still think, "why bother with this?! I've seen it live!"

some bands are total shit live though

gmku 09.03.2007 12:53 AM

I was spellbound by the corny romanticism of the Dirty Boots video the first time I saw it back in, when, 1991? The idea that you could find true love in a Sonic Youth mosh pit! Could it get any better than that? And wow, was she a looker. Young buck that I was, I really thought it could happen. And even though I was happily married, I dug the romanticism of it, and it made me wish I was 20 again.

k-krack 09.03.2007 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
some bands are total shit live though

Surely. I just haven't seen any shitty live bands. Maybe it's luck, or maybe I just like the right bands.
Speaking of which, going to see Do Make Say Think the day before my birthday! Fucking high-fives all 'round! I heard a recording of a concert one time, and I nearly creamed my jeans.

Cantankerous 09.03.2007 01:08 AM

yeah i don't knw. i went to the stones last january, they were okay. mick

just changed into a pale pink sequin waistcoat with silver beading. silver platform shoes, black silletto ankle height boots with buffles up the wront

k-krack 09.03.2007 01:22 AM

I'm not a fan of the Stones to begin with, but I wouldn't expect much out of 'em on the live front.
I guess I'll give credit where credit is due and congratulate them on, well, simply being alive and... strutting?

Cantankerous 09.03.2007 01:22 AM

so i assume youre in the beatles camp?
freak.

Kallisti23chaos 09.03.2007 01:35 AM

Stevie wonder's "never dreamed you'd leave in summer"
for my own sorrow..

k-krack 09.03.2007 01:41 AM

Oh, fuck no.
I hate the Beatles (save for maybe five songs).

demonrail666 09.03.2007 01:54 AM

Black Flag's Nervous Breakdown. I was chopping onions at the time, mind you.

nicfit 09.03.2007 02:09 AM

some cat power, that sigur ros song near the end of Zissou, bat for lashes' "sad eyes" lately...some black heart procession's songs, Devics' "heart and hands", bauhaus' "all we ever wanted was everything"... but mostly it depends on my mental state rather then on the songs themselves, I think I never cried just because of a song's "power", rather becuz of some fucked up situation/mood that the songs suited well.

demonrail666 09.03.2007 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
that sigur ros song near the end of Zissou

I can sort of imagine certain Sigur Ros tracks doing it for me, in the right conditions.

Cantankerous 09.03.2007 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
yeah i don't knw. i went to the stones last january, they were okay. mick

just changed into a pale pink sequin waistcoat with silver beading. silver platform shoes, black silletto ankle height boots with buffles up the wront

i didn't even finish the fucking sentence!
i meant to say that the way mick sings now is awful though, it's like word vomit.

that last part doesn't even belong in this thread!