Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Heaviest band ever (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=11415)

the ikara cult 03.18.2007 03:26 PM

One of the things that makes early swans' sound come across as so heavy is the fact that Cop and Young God on the CD release are so well produced. A bunch of static and nonspecific screaming is yet to suck me in to the extent that Cop does. I remember buying it and walking around London with it on my cd player, it was fucking apocalyptic.

Savage Clone 03.18.2007 03:29 PM

...not to mention the lyrical content.

the ikara cult 03.18.2007 03:35 PM

And the fact you can hear the lyrics.
Big Black is pretty heavy lyrically too.

Q Magazine did a feature on the "50 heaviest albums ever" a long time ago when i was about 15, it introduced me to alot of stuff. They had things like Atomizer by Big Black, Evol, Cop by Swans, a few hip hop albums, that german band spelt Einz.... Neubeuten... whatever it is, Godspeed you black emperor, some obligitory heavy metal albums, and this thing called DJ 6666 which i ended up buying and going "what in fucks name is this" (when i was 15) and sending to a charity shop. Id love to have it back now.

Considering how bland and mainstream Q is it was a really cool little feature.

k-krack 03.18.2007 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600
Funny thing, an awful lot of these groups being mentioned...they're all wimps & poseurs. The music business is such a business now, after all. And the art suffers, so the music suffers.

How so? How are many ultimately poseurs? (besides the fact that none of them are virtuosic musicans with some being barely "musicians" at all?)

Refer back to my original post in this thread.

Every artist I mention was addicted to drugs. Almost all of what I mention was written, composed, recorded and performed live while everyone involved was smacked out of their fucking minds.

Now please, don't try to form some juvenile argument that I'm saying all great music has to be made by drug-addicts. That obviously isn't true and I wouldn't hold it as a prerequisite per se. But what is undeniable is that most of the best music throughout history has been made by drug-addicts.

What the fuck?! This is the most moronic statement I've ever fucking heard in my life.

Tanzende Schauspieler 03.19.2007 04:23 AM

how about Kevin Drumm? Not a band, but his "Sheer Hellish Miasma" has the balls of a bulldozer on crack

jon boy 03.19.2007 04:40 AM

merzbow was pretty heavy as well. i find that when something is really, really droney and heavy it starts to make me feel sleepy but in a good way.

jon boy 03.19.2007 05:10 AM

hotugogisu i didnt think where that heavy. they where heavy but it was more of a feedback drone thing where as sunn o))), earth, merzbow etc make your bowels loose.

jon boy 03.19.2007 06:10 AM

yes i know what you mean about the layers of sound as apposed to the just doom laydeness of guitars de tuned. lightning bolt, now i dont really know where thay would fit?

i recall seeing some power electronics gigs and having to leave the room because it was so harsh. normally i would have stayed but this was just microphone feedback, looped, through a very large speaker and the guy making it screaming every now and again in between attacking the audinece. the sound was making my head swim and i felt like i was going to pass out.

jon boy 03.19.2007 06:13 AM

i was thinking that in quantanomo bay and places like that they put people into rooms and play 'white noise' to them as a form of torture/dissorientation. what happens if they get someone who is really into it?

Everyneurotic 03.19.2007 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanzende Schauspieler
how about Kevin Drumm? Not a band, but his "Sheer Hellish Miasma" has the balls of a bulldozer on crack

i was going to say sheer hellish miasma, but since it was about bands/artists and kevin drumm's discography has so much different stuff, i restrained.

but sheer hellish miasma? fucking right, one of the heaviest records ever, and one of the best.

i wanted to review it (the reissue) for the magazine i work for but they wouldn't let me.

jon boy 03.19.2007 11:35 AM

skullflower are also pretty damn heavy.

Skuj 11.26.2009 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittlePuppetBoy
which groups do you feel fall under this category?

I say SWANS!!! (during their early noise period)

Electric Muthafucken Wizard.

Skuj 11.26.2009 01:52 AM

Actually, it just occurred to me that nobody ever talks about Whitehouse at this here place.

Whitehouse.

Muthafuckers.

HaydenAsche 11.26.2009 02:19 AM

the Unicorns.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 07.09.2012 06:12 PM

My idea of heavy:
Suma
ufomammot
bongripper
conan

this track is like a 13 minute breakdown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ychT04UK1TE

Genteel Death 07.09.2012 06:23 PM

mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkHce9cGQ88

ann ashtray 07.09.2012 06:32 PM

Earth is my idea of heavy.

SpaceCadetHayden 07.09.2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ann ashtray
Earth is my idea of heavy.

remember when you wrote that love letter about earth about how they were like this big gay bottle of wine and how you wanted their dicks in your mouth that was fun

ilduclo 07.22.2012 10:33 AM

slan
naked city w/eye
melvins

Starcat 07.22.2012 12:45 PM

Big Black

Most of these other bands only use conventions to make their music sound heavier... Melvins did it with speed,
Atari Teenage Riot did it with volume, Doom Metal does it with bass, Atari's bands do it with drugs, plenty of other group do it with lyrics... But Big Black is the only band I've ever encounted who achieve earth-shaking heaviness without the pretentions or conventionality of these bands that rely on their pre-determined method of arriving at it.