Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Last Album You Bought? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=91)

khchris 11.27.2006 01:55 AM

Oh, I forgot this one:

Some really great gems from the third reich

Onani Nic 11.27.2006 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J
Them independent stores could still put reasonable prices on their cds, but they don't because they want to make a more than reasonable profit. Which is fair enough, but the corporates want that too. Where as you get independent labels etc like Dischord who sell their albums for $10 when they could charge alot more than that and still sell albums, but they choose not to. Although, all this said, I was more referring to my town. We mainly only have independent secondhand stores here, and they buy cds for like $4 and sell them for $16 or so. When you can go to JB HIFI and buy it brand new for $18. Greed.

Edit - Oh and I over heard one of them stores in particular going on about how young people really don't like Tom Waits, and we just listen to him to look like artists as we drink cheap goon to help the facade. A fucken idiot is a fucken idiot whether independent or not. I'll always choose independents, but not if I'm going to be purposely taken for a ride / ripped off.

Totally....I respect Dischords business stance but it doesn't favour us in Australia as postage directly from them is a killer but buying their albums in stores as also expensive.

I've worked in an independent record store before and Shock who distributes dischord charge a fair bit, you still wouldn't make that large a profit selling dischord CDs for $28.

Norma J 11.27.2006 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onani Nic
Totally....I respect Dischords business stance but it doesn't favour us in Australia as postage directly from them is a killer but buying their albums in stores as also expensive.

I've worked in an independent record store before and Shock who distributes dischord charge a fair bit, you still wouldn't make that large a profit selling dischord CDs for $28.

I ordered 3 Fugazi records to top my collection off the other week, and it cost $10 US (they didn't charge Aus on any of them) and the shipping was $3 a cd. Worked out to be $39 for the 3 albums. That's fantastic.

Onani Nic 11.27.2006 03:39 AM

Quote:

I ordered 3 Fugazi records to top my collection off the other week, and it cost $10 US (they didn't charge Aus on any of them) and the shipping was $3 a cd. Worked out to be $39 for the 3 albums. That's fantastic.

Woah, thats really good. You know whats crazy, the amount record stores pay for fugazi CDs in more than $13 each.

sonic sphere 11.27.2006 07:16 AM

brian jonestown massacre-strung out in heaven. very good.

Norma J 11.28.2006 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onani Nic
Woah, thats really good. You know whats crazy, the amount record stores pay for fugazi CDs in more than $13 each.

Why?

DemonBox 11.30.2006 09:43 AM

I just got the new Tom Waits 3CD set, Orphans. I'm listening to disc 1 right now, and it sounds pretty damn good. Anyone else got this?

Norma J 11.30.2006 05:50 PM

Not yet.

Tokolosh 11.30.2006 06:25 PM

Boris - Dronevil

Onani Nic 12.01.2006 02:23 AM

Quote:

Why?

Becausein Australia they have exclusive distribution through Stock, who charge that much. Dischord won't let australian stores buy directly from them. It's a bummer.

Onani Nic 12.01.2006 02:27 AM

Xasthur- Subliminal Genocide
Al Green- The Hi Singles, As and BS

How's that for variety!

Rob Instigator 12.01.2006 10:14 AM

I got some new CD's yesterday!

Tristeza - A Colores
Animal Colective - Hollinndagain
wolf eyes - human animal
lightning bolt - ride the skies
Built to spill - keep it like a secret

the BTS I have on vinyl and wanted on CD. The tristeza album is their newest one. I hae their first two and I love them and this one is a bit darker and more edgy. Good stuff when you are eating hydroponic mary jane muffins. The lightning bolt, animal collective and wolf eyes I got because I have none of their records, just some shit on the computer, and I have seen them on the no fun fest DVD and I wanted to get some to check it out and I am so excited, I already heavily dig the lightning bolt one.

Norma J 12.01.2006 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Built to spill - keep it like a secret

Great album, aint it?

k-krack 12.01.2006 11:39 PM

I'm making a constellation records mail-order tomorrow:
Sofa- Grey
Exhaust- s/t
Lullabye Arkestra- Ampgrave

Iain 12.02.2006 07:36 AM

DemonBox 12.03.2006 06:51 PM

Comets On Fire - Avatar

gmku 12.04.2006 12:42 AM

I have no clear idea why, except that it was under 10 bucks and I've always loved the cover.

Tokolosh 12.04.2006 07:42 AM

Boris - Amplifier Worship

Boris/Merzbow - Sun baked snow cave
Brilliant cover art by Stephen O'Malley (Sunn O))))

king_buzzo 12.04.2006 07:58 AM

nothing, i dont have money

Bertrand 12.08.2006 12:01 PM

The Stabilisers : Wanna do the wild plastic brane love thing?
Pop-punk, mod-punk, catchy tunes leaving you exhausted.
Highlights : Do the brane, Glamourpuss.