Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   king of limbs discussion (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=46623)

PAULYBEE2656 02.20.2011 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Also, this board seems pretty polite and respectful, compared to most of the opinions I've seen out there, regarding this album...... .

oh yeah for sure adam. dont get me wrong. i was speaking in relative terms of course.

nicfit 02.20.2011 06:46 AM

First listen:

"wow, that was pretty weak"

second listen:

"hell, that's the bit that got stuck in my head all day, I didn't even remember it was from this album"

third listen

"Seems like I like it."

fourth listen

"Seems like I love it."

etc etc.

FOR ME it's a definite grower.
And a big one at it.
There's so much going on that seems to be nothing going on it's amazing (soundwise).
Ha ha that's supposed to sound like an interesting thing, but re-reading sounds like a diss.
Which it is not.

atsonicpark 02.20.2011 10:21 AM

I';d never heard the song "These Are My Twisted Words" until just now.

GREAT SONG!

This is the best song they've written since Pyramid Song!

Why in the hell isn't it on the actual "king of the limbs" cd?

knox 02.20.2011 10:51 AM

will there be a king of limbs pt. II soon?

SuperCreep 02.20.2011 10:52 AM

this is grabbing me a bit more with my third and fourth listens. the only songs i still don't like at all are "fetal" and "give up the ghost" but everything else is pretty good/good.

EVOLghost 02.20.2011 03:18 PM

I just listened to Lotus Flower....and I quiet like it. It sounds like Radiohead....

krastian 02.20.2011 03:22 PM

Are there any guitars on it?

Derek 02.20.2011 03:28 PM

Some but it's the same old shit you've came to expect.

krastian 02.20.2011 03:34 PM

Figured.

Radiohead were pretty great when they had some guitars going with the other electronic stuff and whatnot. They need to bring back the rock....at least a little bit.

Their drummer must want to kill himself. He's a pretty damn solid rock drummer too, but it's kind of hard to do anything over minimal stuff.

That song with Thom thrashing around is pretty weak. Where the hell is the rest of the band???

knox 02.20.2011 04:14 PM

Bringing back rock and guitars? Really?

SuperCreep 02.20.2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krastian
Their drummer must want to kill himself. He's a pretty damn solid rock drummer too, but it's kind of hard to do anything over minimal stuff.

honestly, i think their last two albums have been phil's best, but maybe this one even moreso.

canabero 02.20.2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hevusa
good points knox. though i didn't think they would dip back into the electronic style as much after In Rainbows "return to rock". one thing i don't get is how people can pass judgement about a radiohead album after only a couple listens. it usually needs a minute to soak in.

do you need to hear 20 times an album of Justin Bieber to understand that is a shit?

canabero 02.20.2011 09:29 PM

My last opinion about this: it's very similar to "The Eraser" i never liked this type of music. ok maybe the album is not bad, but this don't belongs to me i hear other music, this is quite different in comparison whit the 6 first albums.

nicfit 02.21.2011 02:11 AM

for those who want more giutar (no cowbell):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8wFHpHHtoY

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.21.2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Slavo wins.

This is the best post you've made in a while, wish I could rep you.
it sucks. I honestly do think THE ERASER is a horrible record, absolutely bland in every way. And this record does resemble that one.

true, Eraser is one of the worst records ever, undisputed, however a lot of the tunes from Eraser live in some of the stageshows preceding its recording were fucking ridiculously brilliant, but they were tripe on the album. I think that what Thom York is doing it the studio is completely in diametric opposition and dichotomy to what is going on in the stage show.
Quote:

exactly man. No depth. No heart. Cold, lifeless, what else to expect from instant studio creations?

The whole thing, like IN RAINBOWS, comes off as contrived, silly, and rushed.

The same thing with In_Rainbows, for two years before its recording they were touring that material, and it glowed in the fucking dark it was so good, and yet the album was agreeably an initially disappointment, I had to let it grow on me for weeks, especially considering how much I was into the bootleg versions I had previously compiled. The Eraser, I didn't even bother, but also still bump those tracks from the live, pre-recorded versions..

I hope this album is like you say, like In_Rainbows, because then it will sound like shit at first, but inevitably become a good record. I haven't heard it, for some reason I am not in a rush either, but I do very much plan to give it a sincere try, aside from all this crass scoffing on the SYG..

In the studio, some minimalist, half-assed even spirit takes over radiohead, and they produce crap, but when the they bring it to the stage it shines. This is EXACTLY how the Grateful Dead were, dozens of terrible, uninspiring albums and yet ALL that material live was life changing and brilliant..

I hope that this new radiohead tunes are equally diamonds in the rough, which are carved and polished best from the stage.

fishmonkey 02.21.2011 03:08 PM

Ahh, the good old Radiohead come beack with their freaky and slightly disturbing noise boxes and Jonny Greenwood is floating around in the background making plinky plonky sounds on his tele..
i'm still at the second listen but i can feel it slowing starting to grow on me, its like if "amnesiac" had like a drunk un-married Uncle show up at its wedding..

its good to have em back

hevusa 02.21.2011 03:16 PM

The new album is definitely growing on me. It is a more subtle, more mature Radiohead.

_slavo_ 02.21.2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishmonkey
Ahh, the good old Radiohead come beack with their freaky and slightly disturbing noise boxes and Jonny Greenwood is floating around in the background making plinky plonky sounds on his tele..
i'm still at the second listen but i can feel it slowing starting to grow on me, its like if "amnesiac" had like a drunk un-married Uncle show up at its wedding..

its good to have em back

Fishy! Is that for real? I never thought I'd see you around anymore.
How's life been treating you?

fishmonkey 02.21.2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
Fishy! Is that for real? I never thought I'd see you around anymore.
How's life been treating you?

hey _slavo_ !!

yeah i'm back, dont know why i was away for so long - i guess i missed all yee guys and decided to finally get that forgotten password reset and check in with yee all again.
Hope you are keeping well anyways man, looking forward to catching up with u more.

the ikara cult 02.21.2011 03:36 PM

Any new Radiohead release makes me go a bit Pseudo-Freud, wondering if listening to it will send me digging into the past for something buried from when i was 13 and they were the only thing that kept me going, and whether it can explain things that have gone on since. So every time they release something now im in my 20s, im honestly a little afraid of what sitting down and listening to it will do to me.

So on Wednesday im gonna be 26, 13 years since i first listened to Radiohead, which was 13 years from my birth. Lucky me.