Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Sound Sculpture/Sound Artist (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=11824)

noumenal 03.31.2007 03:50 PM

Sound Sculpture/Sound Artist

I was reading The Wire and reached my breaking point with these terms (used to describe music/musicians). In my mind, to call a musician a "sound sculptor" is the worst kind of insult. I understand why they find them useful, but the mere idea of "sound art" leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

????

Prof. PoppinFresh 03.31.2007 04:17 PM

What about sound installations - architectural spaces and reproduced sound?

(This is noumenal).

noumenal 03.31.2007 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prof. PoppinFresh

Edit: Actually self, that's not what I'm referring to. I'm just talking about a certain way of making or composing music.

k-krack 03.31.2007 04:31 PM

I find using terms like this is (sometimes) so much more apt to the subject.
Someone like... errrrrrr.... Wolf Eyes. They're not just taking normal sounds and 'playing' them. They are creating new sounds and totally fucking them into submission, making something totally (I swill say "original," but it's not exactly what I mean) original and... unheard of. It's nothing short of sculpting the sound to the way they want it.

noumenal 03.31.2007 04:39 PM

Anyone who creates music is sculpting sound the way they want it. I just find that in cases where it seems appropriate to call someone a sound "sculptor" or "artist," their music seems to be missing something essential and defining about music. An interconnectedness in time is missing--it just comes off as juxtaposed static chunks.

val-holla-ing 03.31.2007 09:37 PM

i think it has to do less with music than actual sounds in the sense. i definitely wouldn't consider some of the things i read about in the wire as music.

atari 2600 03.31.2007 10:15 PM

Nowadays, kids have the toothbrush that plays "Rock 'n' Roll All Nite"...and so on...

LA
Handphone Table, 1978

Powerful drivers which compress and amplify sound are embedded in the table. The listener can only hear the tape sound source by placing elbow in the depression of the table's surface and covering the ears. Sound is conducted from tape through driver, screw, elbow, skull. The cranial cavities effectually become speakers.

atari 2600 03.31.2007 10:18 PM

HC

terminal pharmacy 03.31.2007 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noumenal
I was reading The Wire and reached my breaking point with these terms (used to describe music/musicians). In my mind, to call a musician a "sound sculptor" is the worst kind of insult. I understand why they find them useful, but the mere idea of "sound art" leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

????

to trivialise an artform that falls within a musical sphere but is not music just because you don't like the term is ludicrous. and just by saying "the mere idea of "sound art" leaves a bad taste in my mouth." would say to me you have never experienced an sound installation because you only seem to like music. i myself don't like the term sound sculptor but it is in no way an insult. the art of sound installation and seeing / hearing them in galleries is akin to looking at a painting and one can create new environments for people to experience through sound. perhaps you just need to learn how to listen and not simply hear.

sarramkrop 03.31.2007 10:55 PM

Sound sculpture is not the same as musicianship. Get a grip.

noumenal 03.31.2007 11:24 PM

Blah, you've missed my point. And the comment about my learning to listen and not simply hear deserves no response, but... I make a living out of listening to music and plan on doing so till I retire or die. It's laughable that you think you can preach to me.

I admit that I have a penchant for absolute music and that I'm not as big a fan of visual art, but that's beside the point.

So, my dislike of the terminology stems from a deep mistrust of the form and isn't a cause of anything. I don't actually mean to suggest that sound installations are uniformly bad (or bad at all); in fact, they're not really the issue. For the record, Prof. Poppinfresh is ME and I was bored. I thought everyone knew this, there was a big thread a while ago about me changing my name.

There's no reason that the music (and it is music - I have a wide umbrella in my mind) in sound installations can't be fabulous music and the whole a great work of art, and that's why it doesn't really factor into my point. A sound installation could have any kind of music good or bad. It's actually a musical problem that I have--the combination of music with other art forms is not the issue. The Prof. Poppinfresh aside was a red herring and a JOKE at that. Get it? Sound art?

Anyway, to make my point clearer, I don't like the terms because while they're useful (aptly describing a certain kind of music that undeniably exists), the terms imply that simply saying "music," "musician," "clarinetist," "drummer," "composer," or whatever doesn't suffice. The musician (usually electronic music it seems) is creating music, "sculpting" sound, in a way analogous to the way an artist works.

The term signals to me that I won't like the music very much, and that kind of terminology has indeed been used in the past to denigrate someone's music. Boulez described Messiaen's music this way, but he has since lightened up of course. I don't like the terms because I think they encourage this kind of music making. Just call them what they are: musicians making music.

So again, to recap: I'm actually referring only to music. Sound installations are beside the point, becuase the musical content can be anything. I'm sorry if the little Poppinfresh joke caused confusion. The music I'm talking about is frequently electronic, but doesn't have to be. The technique is usually some sort of juxtaposition or endless exposition with no consideration for musical rhetoric or logic. I am less likely to like this music. Calling a musician a "sound sculptor" is an insult. Calling music "sound art" is an insult. The use of these terms as simply descriptions annoys me. It's a personal preference, yes, but I hoped that this would blossom into a musical discussion, but all was side-tracked into the world of sound/art, rather than sound art (if you know what I mean), which wasn't what I was getting at, but it's my fault. I can't expect everyone to know about the Prof. Poppinfresh thing and to get my meaning in a couple sentences + a red herring.

noumenal 04.01.2007 12:02 AM

I guess if it's just a compositional technique, then my point kind of falls apart. But my feeling is that it's also a style/practice and not just a technique.

terminal pharmacy 04.01.2007 12:06 AM

Yeah sorry about that listening / hearing thing it was a bit harsh...

Can you post the wire article???

There is a great difference between music and sound art / design, however they exist in the same realm, and sound installation does not neccesarily have music, but sound and sound effects.

noumenal 04.01.2007 12:16 AM

It was several reviews that got me thinking. I'll try to go back and find them, so I can see what the original context was.

noumenal 04.01.2007 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
sound art is a beautiful thing man. sound sculpture is hopefully the future of music.

In a lot of ways, music has always been about shaping and sculpting sound. Musicians just have so much control over every aspect of sound now and reproduction lets them use any sound they want. So, like I said, it's not about these new techniques or resources (which excite me too). A style has arisen in noise/electronic/etc. that I have problems with, though.

noumenal 04.01.2007 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
just out of curiousity, how come you have a problem with noise? electronic music?

I don't. I find both very exciting and that's why I have strong feelings when it comes to stuff I think is going in the wrong direction.

k-krack 04.01.2007 12:46 AM

Quote:

In a lot of ways, music has always been about shaping and sculpting sound. Musicians just have so much control over every aspect of sound now and reproduction lets them use any sound they want. So, like I said, it's not about these new techniques or resources (which excite me too). A style has arisen in noise/electronic/etc. that I have problems with, though.

I can agree with this to an extent, but just because everyone has an idea of what they want to sound like does not necessarily mean they are completely focused on attaining it. The whole "sound sculpting" paradigm is based pretty much on completely losing the "music" aspect, and instead focusing on "sound." A perfect example is the BBC Radiophonic Workshop. They would search for perfect sounds (though untimately, end up creating a song, or sound effects), not using musical instruments, but found objects and mechanisms.

noumenal 04.01.2007 01:02 AM

Read my book when it comes out. But seriously, I'm too tired to address those questions right now. Maybe later. Maybe a new thread where people can lay out their aesthetic systems. What makes good music? I'm signing off now.

Savage Clone 04.01.2007 02:17 AM

"Sound Art" that sounds great:
http://waxidermy.com/2006/02/17/chro...jacques-lasry/

Toilet & Bowels 04.01.2007 05:15 AM

yes, sound sculpture is a ridiculous term

Toilet & Bowels 04.01.2007 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-krack
I find using terms like this is (sometimes) so much more apt to the subject.
Someone like... errrrrrr.... Wolf Eyes. They're not just taking normal sounds and 'playing' them. They are creating new sounds and totally fucking them into submission, making something totally (I swill say "original," but it's not exactly what I mean) original and... unheard of. It's nothing short of sculpting the sound to the way they want it.

shut up!

sarramkrop 04.01.2007 05:26 AM

It might be ridiculous, but really it only refers to sound and not musicianship, therefore it disqualifies any dislike for it . It's, perhaps, pompous terminology, but that is simply because the term is closely associated with visuals combined with 'noise'. I mean, i can undesratnd someone wouldn't like it and all that, but it remains a field where someone who works with sounds (rather than notes) operates.

Toilet & Bowels 04.01.2007 05:46 AM

you need to stop reading all those david toop books

sarramkrop 04.01.2007 05:52 AM

I should go out more, i know.

Toilet & Bowels 04.01.2007 05:53 AM

they're putting ideas in your head

sarramkrop 04.01.2007 05:59 AM

I know, perhaps i should even stop listening to resonancefm and get a life, which i haven't.

Glice 04.01.2007 06:21 AM

I can't be bothered to wade through most of the posts here, but in response to Messr Poppinfresh esq., I think 'sculpting' is an appropriate adjective for something that is generative/ indeterminate; obviously, it's otherwise arse. Your Ovals and latter Eno, that kind of thing. Also, it's probably appropriate where the sounds used are 'noise' beyond the sense of enharmonics - that is, sonambience and the like.

I second the call to stop reading Toop.

MellySingsDoom 04.01.2007 07:40 AM

I went to an Oval installation about 12 years ago, and it was rather ineffective. There was a good sound installation thing at London's Hayward Gallery in 2000 which was much better. It's difficult to define what sound sculpting is, without going down a potential tedious and academically dry route.

sarramkrop 04.01.2007 07:57 AM

That was the DAVID TOOP curated SOUND BOOM exhibition. I'll leave you to it.

MellySingsDoom 04.01.2007 08:58 AM

(Gets out my Sound Boom book/CD pack). So it was. Funnily enough, I enjoyed Toop's "Ocean Of Sound" book. I'm not a huge fan of his music per se, but certainly respect his opinions.

Bunbury 04.02.2007 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
"Sound Art" that sounds great:

More sound art that sounds great:

Maryanne Amacher- Sound Characters [making the third ear]

Quote:

"Living Sound, Patent Pending" MUSIC FOR SOUND-JOINED ROOMS" Series 1980. (Excerpt) Dual channel remastered edit of feature length multichannel installation/ performance.

“I produced my first large scale multichannel installation/performance in the MUSIC FOR SOUND-JOINED ROOMS Series, Living Sound, Patent Pending (Traveling Musicians Being Prepared) for the Walker Arts Center, during the New Music America Festival, Minneapolis-St. Paul (June 7-14 1980). The music and visual sets were staged architecturally, throughout the nearly empty Victorian house of the conductor Dennis Russell Davies and filmaker, Molly Davies. The visual elements gave clues to a story discovered in the different rooms, and in the outside garden. The house, on a hill in St. Paul with its panoramic view of Minneapolis, was lit by tall quartz spots, as if a movie set. The time: midnight. Davies' music room, where two grand pianos had been, was now an "emergent music laboratory," where 21 petri dishes with "something" growing in them (the musicians and instruments of the future) were placed beside metal instrument cases marked Fragile: "traveling musicians being prepared" and "the molecular orchestra"; TV story boards refering to "symbiotic aids," biochemical companions tailored to enhance neurophonic recognition; "making new scores." DNA photos and biochemical diagrams were placed on music stands. Meanwhile, the entire house was full of sound, circulating throughout the rooms, out the doors and windows, down the hill, past sedate Victorian mansions. I was thrilled to discover that the law to patent life forms (the Diamond V. Chakrabarty decision) followed a few days later. As the possibilities of biocomputers and emerging media approach, perhaps this work was not as much fantasy as it may have seemed at the time.”

Day Trip Maryanne with Thurston

Quote:

day trip maryanne captures the collaboration between legendary sound sculptor Maryanne Amacher and experimental guitarist Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth. The 30 minute long film grew out of a collaborative film/video project between Kim Gordon, Thurston Moore and Andrew Kesin exploring the work of several important women in experimental music. That project tentatively entitled "Other Women" sought to bring the work of these accomplished and often overlooked women to the surface through a combination of live footage and intimate interviews. While a release date for the full-length documentary remains elusive, footage collected for "Other Women" will be on display at the HER NOISE exhibition held by Anne Hilde Neset and Lina Lina Dzuverovic-Russell of The Wire and Electra productions.

As it stands now, there are no plans to publicly release daytrip maryanne. It was shown in some festivals in 2005 and further screenings will be considered on a case by case basis. I would like to thank Maryanne for sharing with us on that fall day. Her unfailing commitment to sonic exploration is truly inspiring. - Andrew Kesin, February 2005

!@#$%! 04.02.2007 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunbury
More sound art that sounds great:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunbury

Maryanne Amacher- Sound Characters [making the third ear]

i have that cd and i love it but i see noumenal's point, and i haven't had the time to compose a good argument lately.

Toilet & Bowels 04.03.2007 06:21 AM

yeah, why isn't she called a musician like everyone else?

FWIW, i played that amacher record to porkmarras and he thought it was rubbish

sarramkrop 04.03.2007 06:31 AM

So much so that i can't even remember what it sounds like.

Toilet & Bowels 04.03.2007 06:34 AM

when i put it on i thought it would be a crowd pleaser!

SubSonicPumpAction 04.03.2007 06:38 AM

Quote:

Anyone who creates music is sculpting sound the way they want it. I just find that in cases where it seems appropriate to call someone a sound "sculptor" or "artist," their music seems to be missing something essential and defining about music. An interconnectedness in time is missing--it just comes off as juxtaposed static chunks.

It depends on the specific artist yr speaking of. If you look at Alvin Lucier for instance he uses space and resonance to create sounds. But someone like merzbow doesn't sculpt the sound as much as he manipulates it with rhythm.

sarramkrop 04.03.2007 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
when i put it on i thought it would be a crowd pleaser!

Oh, i'm sorry. Was is it that bad or that good?

Toilet & Bowels 04.03.2007 06:45 AM

i think it's amazing. i guess try downloading it or something

sarramkrop 04.03.2007 06:49 AM

Some records require repeated listenings, don't they? For what i recall, you played it in the middle of a chat, so my first reaction might have been of disliking it. But that is not to say that the actual record is good or bad. How do you upload an entire album on Badongo? I have one that is entirely made on a typewriter. Now, that's really atrocious.

Bunbury 04.03.2007 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prof. PoppinFresh
(This is noumenal).

Sound Installation artists:

Momus

www.imomus.com

Quote:

his ongoing interest in the relationship between narratives, sound, and space (both mental and physical) has carried over into a series of videos and gallery-based performances in which he reconfigures storytelling traditions.

-------------------------------------

I8U

www.i8u.com

Quote:

France Jobin aka i8u (b. 1958) is a sound / installation / web artist residing in Montreal, Canada. i8u’s audio art can be qualified as "sound-sculpture". It reveals powerful, opaque and complex sound environments where analog and digital meet. Her installation/web art can be said to follow a parallel path, incorporating both musical and visual elements.

I8u has created solo recordings for (bake/staalplaat Amsterdam) (piehead Toronto) (oral Montreal) as well as collaborative works with Martin Tétreault, David Kristian and Tomas Phillips. She has been included in compilations on ATAK (Japan), bremsstrahlung (USA) and Mutek (Canada).