Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New Jesu will be one long song. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=31008)

summer 05.02.2009 01:04 AM

New Jesu will be one long song.

Does that mean it will be like a drone song or something? =o

atsonicpark 05.02.2009 07:07 AM

No. He's done long songs before, listen to Heartache, it's 2 twenty minute songs and it's definitely not just drone. I've grown very bored with Jesu in general but I'll still give it a listen. Dude just releases too much shit.

PAULYBEE2656 05.02.2009 07:13 AM

yeah i agree.. conquerer was an amazing album as was the first one, silver was ok pale sketches was dire and then he just has an idea and releases it.... prolific doesnt mean greatness........

Derek 05.02.2009 07:14 AM

I'll still listen to it. I still enjoy Jesu from time to time.

summer 05.02.2009 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
No. He's done long songs before, listen to Heartache, it's 2 twenty minute songs and it's definitely not just drone. I've grown very bored with Jesu in general but I'll still give it a listen. Dude just releases too much shit.

Heart Ache was an EP though, this new one is supposed to be an actual LP, so I dunno.

atsonicpark 05.02.2009 05:55 PM

Yeah...

I'm just saying: Jesu can "write" long, epic songs that aren't merely "drone". It's probably just going to be a bunch of disconnected parts put together. Anyone can do that. Broaderick is a good producer. Either way, it'll likely be boring. I'll check it out though.

SYRFox 05.02.2009 05:57 PM

Quote:

a bunch of disconnected parts put together. Anyone can do that.

Exactly what the members from The Mars Volta thought when they formed the band.

atsonicpark 05.02.2009 06:03 PM

Jesu is pretty much just a studio project anyway. Pitch corrected vocals, 30 guitar tracks per song, all kinds of overdubbed keys, drum machines, atmospheric sounds. Overproduced out the wahzoo, can't recreate-any-of-his-songs-live kinda stuff. It's pretty much like the Britney Spears of doomgaze. Haha. And I like Jesu, but the thought of a really long one-song album doesn't seem very appealing. It'll be listenable, sure, but ..............

Green Magnesium 05.02.2009 06:47 PM

^That's quite the apt description atsonic, and I'm a fan as well. I have to take him in small doses though.

summer 05.02.2009 07:00 PM

Quote:

Jesu is pretty much just a studio project anyway. Pitch corrected vocals, 30 guitar tracks per song, all kinds of overdubbed keys, drum machines, atmospheric sounds. Overproduced out the wahzoo, can't recreate-any-of-his-songs-live kinda stuff. It's pretty much like the Britney Spears of doomgaze. Haha. And I like Jesu, but the thought of a really long one-song album doesn't seem very appealing. It'll be listenable, sure, but ..............

You say that as if studio-oriented music can't be good just because it's difficult or impossible to perform live. While I'd normally agree to an extent, I think that's silly. The live concert shouldn't ALWAYS be the determining factor of if a song is good or not.

Derek 05.02.2009 07:05 PM

Yeah, I love the production on Jesu records. They have such a lush, dense sound.

atsonicpark 05.02.2009 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summer
You say that as if studio-oriented music can't be good just because it's difficult or impossible to perform live. While I'd normally agree to an extent, I think that's silly. The live concert shouldn't ALWAYS be the determining factor of if a song is good or not.

No, I didn't say "that" as you think I said "that". I'm merely stating: This will be a listenable record, because Justin's a good producer. But facts are facts. It's likely going to be a bunch of disconnected parts put together. Anyone with any skill whatsoever at production can do that kind of stuff. I don't know how I can say things more plainly. Just because I'm a fan of someone's music, that doesn't mean that they aren't above criticism.

summer 05.02.2009 07:38 PM

I'm a fan of Lily Allen and I would never criticize her.

atsonicpark 05.02.2009 07:40 PM

Good for you.

There are very few perfect bands. Jesu is far from perfect.

PAULYBEE2656 05.03.2009 06:45 AM

you serious..ah shit..i now so demoralized..im off to commit hari kari on my garden fence....
this place has bummed me out... come back to me justin....we are all sorry for this blasphemer amongst us... may a hard summer emo rain hail down on columbus until all the unbelievers rush out into the streets and proclaim jesu as the new saivour... and so forth and on and on with increasing delay and tremelo..

he is just a bloody valentine rip off with soft metal teeshirts!

batreleaser 05.03.2009 11:24 AM

definitely not into jesu anymore, every song sounds the same.

dionysusundone 05.03.2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
definitely not into jesu anymore, every song sounds the same.

I still like 'em but I've stopped really caring. Conquerer WAS great but everything since then has sounded exactly the same but the songwriting hasn't been as good and there hasn't been much progression at all. I did enjoy the thing he did with Jarboe though.

Glice 05.03.2009 04:59 PM

Quote:

It's likely going to be a bunch of disconnected parts put together. Anyone with any skill whatsoever at production can do that kind of stuff.

This criticism - this is a shit criticism. Because you can apply to just about anything. "I don't like this, therefore I will reduce it to the process by which it was made". It's the same philistinism that we get attached to the Turner Prize, and gets thrown at Joyce. It's also synonymous with the 'anyone could make a racket and put a CD-r out" argument. Ok, yes, that is true, but it's not really very enlightening and certainly doesn't seem very conducive to treating music as anything more than an elaborate craft. Y'know, I fucking hate the lower-case improv crowd, but I'd never criticise them on the basis of the fact that literally any human being could do what they do (I'd criticise them on the basis of a conceited concept).

atsonicpark 05.03.2009 05:51 PM

I do like it. I don't think it's going to be anything mindblowing though. Nothing wrong with that. Just not too excited for more boring same sounding overproduced cut n paste dronegaze.

summer 05.03.2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dionysusundone
and there hasn't been much progression at all.

Dude you like Sonic Youth >.>