Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What gigs are you going to in the coming months? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6735)

The Soup Nazi 09.16.2023 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drjohnrock
It's a house concert. I've never been to one of those before (unless it was a local band, which doesn't count).

That is indeed a thing these Spotifucked days. The other day I got an email from Flock Of Dimes (Jenn Wasner) requesting spaces/hosts for shows to an audience of 40-50 people. Just to name two more artists I follow, Tommy Stinson and Diane Cluck have been doing the same. I imagine there are countless others, and attending such concerts must be great - no whooers! But I also wish these cats didn't have to resort to guerilla-shows warfare to make a flock of dimes. ;)

(Of course, Bill Maher would say "you're not owed a living as a musician. This is show business. This is the make-or-miss league." FUCK YOU BILL MAHER.)

Bertrand 09.27.2023 01:29 PM

Public Image Limited in Strasbourg
The Warlocks (Equipe de Foot opening) in Cognac
Dream Wife (home)
Quite a few train trips to do for this

Toilet & Bowels 10.03.2023 09:17 AM

I'm going to see The Obsessed tonight, The Make-Up on Thursday and Marcia Bassett on Sunday

_tunic_ 10.10.2023 01:44 PM

Friday:

Bettie Serveert
30 Years Celebration of

Palomine !

The Soup Nazi 10.10.2023 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
Friday:

Bettie Serveert
30 Years Celebration of

Palomine !

Mighty excellent!
:)

Toilet & Bowels 10.12.2023 03:59 PM

The Obsessed were superb, The Make Up was fun, and Marcia Bassett was a little disappointing. I'm not a massive fan of her buchla stuff (or solo analogue synth stuff generally) and that was what she was doing that night. Ignatz opened and I'd never an him before and i enjoyed his set a lot.

_tunic_ 10.13.2023 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Mighty excellent!
:)

well, I fell of my bike yesterday morning, while braking on a slippery pavement. My ribs and knee are hurt so I won't be going tonight any longer. Good news is,ticket was sold within seconds

The Soup Nazi 10.13.2023 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
well, I fell of my bike yesterday morning, while braking on a slippery pavement. My ribs and knee are hurt so I won't be going tonight any longer. Good news is,ticket was sold within seconds

Toilet & Bowels 10.15.2023 05:02 PM

I saw Bridget St John tonight, it was amazing when she sang her older stuff but the newer stuff I'm not so hot on.

The Soup Nazi 10.15.2023 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
I saw Bridget St John tonight

Excellent. :)

Artists like her never make it to this s-hole full of bad hombres...

Savage Clone 10.16.2023 03:24 PM

I’ve seen her a couple times, agree with T&B.

Seeing Goblin doing a live score to “Demons” tonight, followed by a rock set. It’ll be my 6th time seeing them, 4th movie soundtrack. Should be a good time.

_tunic_ 10.26.2023 09:36 AM

King Buffalo tonight, don't really know them but I got invited
FACS tomorrow
I hope I'll survive, my ass and ribs and knee still hurt

The Jesus & Mary Chain are one of the first announcements for next year's Roadburn festival, so I will very likely go
Also Khanate will play their first show in 19 years (!), features one of the SUN 0))) guys

Severian 10.27.2023 05:49 AM

I saw Brian Jonestown Massacre and that Anton guy really is such a big douchebag. Wow. Anyway they were good.

The Soup Nazi 10.27.2023 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I saw Brian Jonestown Massacre and that Anton guy really is such a big douchebag. Wow.

DIG! :D

choc e-Claire 10.27.2023 04:33 PM

Quote:

I saw Brian Jonestown Massacre and that Anton guy really is such a big douchebag. Wow. Anyway they were good.

lol my friend Dannica has been chatting about this latest one on social media - it's been known for a while that his empathy is somewhat lacking. Agreed, though, they're here in a few weeks and if I had a job I'd be looking forward to it.

Related, I'm running up and down High St today for a free music festival at multiple venues.

Severian 10.27.2023 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
lol my friend Dannica has been chatting about this latest one on social media - it's been known for a while that his empathy is somewhat lacking. Agreed, though, they're here in a few weeks and if I had a job I'd be looking forward to it.

Related, I'm running up and down High St today for a free music festival at multiple venues.

Frankly I wouldn’t see them again. That’s how big of a dickhead he was. But they’re my girlfriend’s favorite band, so yeah we did that.

High Street where?

choc e-Claire 10.28.2023 10:37 AM

Quote:

Frankly I wouldn’t see them again. That’s how big of a dickhead he was. But they’re my girlfriend’s favorite band, so yeah we did that.

High Street where?

The things we do for love...

And High Street in Melbourne, Australia; there was a celebration of the 86 tram line and all of the music venues across it. Of the ones I saw:
*Our Carlson at Rowdy's Records
*Andrew Tuttle at the Northcote Uniting Church
*Pretty In Pink at 3 Ravens Brewery
*Doug Martsch (that one) at the Thornbury Theatre
*the Native Cats and Katie Dey at Wesley Anne

Toilet & Bowels 10.30.2023 06:18 PM

Wolf Eyes this Sunday. First thing seeing them since before covid (and about the 25th time overall). Should be good just wish it was another night of the week

_tunic_ 11.01.2023 08:10 AM

had to bail out of the FACS gig at the last moment unfortunately. Earlier in the evening my downstairs neighbors discovered that I had a water leakage. So instead of going to the FACS gig, I paid a plumber 420 Euros to have it fixed on a Saturday evening.

hippietears 11.01.2023 09:11 AM

Advice for how to find some underground gigs?

_tunic_ 11.01.2023 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hippietears
Advice for how to find some underground gigs?

subscribe to bands (or labels) that you like on apps like bandcamp or bandsintown
or on instagram/facebook etc, which I actually don't but it might help
also, subscribe to the newsletters of local venues
perhaps there's some folks on your uni/school that organise concerts?

stu666 11.01.2023 02:11 PM

Quote:

Wolf Eyes this Sunday. First thing seeing them since before covid (and about the 25th time overall). Should be good just wish it was another night of the week

I really want to go but can’t make it. I’m seeing Bush Tetras on Friday.

!@#$%! 11.01.2023 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666

i'd like to see the bush tetras but
i just don't wanna go
out in the streets
anymore

The Soup Nazi 11.01.2023 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i'd like to see the bush tetras but
i just don't wanna go
out in the streets
anymore

Can't blame ya. Too many creeps!

choc e-Claire 11.02.2023 04:34 AM

Have talked my parents into paying for a Mogwai ticket for my birthday next year (the show is on the 19th of February, my birthday is the 27th)

Toilet & Bowels 11.02.2023 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666

That's a shame, but enjoy Bush Tetras.

I found out yesterday that Mark Morgan formerly of Sightings has a new band called Rump State (with Gaute Granli, whose album from 2 or 3 years ago I liked a lot) and they played in London last week. I'm vexed that I missed it!

The Soup Nazi 11.06.2023 08:54 PM

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho....php?p=1427006

MisterTrick 11.11.2023 02:45 PM

Jenn and I have the busiest slate of shows in like 10 years, everyone had to play DC/Baltimore all at once

Mary Timony tour opener at Ottobar
Sleater-Kinney at Anthem
Unwound at 930 Club

_slavo_ 11.15.2023 07:11 AM

Slowdive in January in Zürich

choc e-Claire 11.15.2023 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
Slowdive in January in Zürich

They were sensational here in July; not sure how the new songs come out live (they only played the lead single here and it went over my head) but even if you leave those ones aside it's a cracking show.

_slavo_ 11.20.2023 03:32 AM

William Basinski next week

The Soup Nazi 11.24.2023 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
William Basinski next week

Care for an appetizer?

William Basinski - 2023-11-22 - The Sugar Club, Dublin, Ireland [Master]

choc e-Claire 01.26.2024 04:40 PM

scored a free ticket for the Breeders on Monday night

_slavo_ 01.30.2024 05:15 AM

Slowdive tonight, woop woop!

MisterTrick 01.30.2024 02:12 PM

I have 3 shows lined up (Mary Timony, Sleater-Kinney and Unwound) starting Feb 28, then Kim schedules a show at the Black Cat the day before the Unwound show at the 9:30 Club (a late 10pm door as well) that bummed me out as probably will have to pass on it as it's very pricy and time consuming since it's quite a drive to and from DC (also Unwound is a cannot miss)

but now Kim is announced to be part of the Out and About Festival at Wolf Trap in June, 3rd billing behind Jenny Lewis and Brittney Howard, honestly this might be more feasible

being broke and living far from DC make all the shows such a choice

The Soup Nazi 01.30.2024 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterTrick
being broke and living far from DC make all the shows such a choice

Try being broke and living 8036 kilometers (4993 miles) from DC.

Toilet & Bowels 01.31.2024 02:18 PM

Billy Bao
Napalm Death, Pig Destroyer & Worm Rot
Keiji Haino with Apartment House
Ultramagnetic MCs
Selvhenter
High On Fire

The Soup Nazi 01.31.2024 05:35 PM

Quote:

Selvhenter

NOICE.

Genteel Death 02.08.2024 01:04 PM

Quote:

Billy Bao

Where's this happening? I can't seem to find any information on the internet. Last time I saw them was at Limehouse Town Hall a few years ago.

Genteel Death 02.08.2024 01:31 PM

Ignore. Found out it's at Cafe Oto.