Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Meat Puppets - Rise To Your Knees (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=14541)

Everyneurotic 07.06.2007 10:22 AM

Meat Puppets - Rise To Your Knees

why has no one mentioned this masterpiece here yet?

i'm usually not so big on the puppets, sure i love mpII, i even like backwater but i hardly really listen to them; anyway, this new one is amazing!!! i didn't expect to be so blown away by it but i certainly am.

although i suspect a lot of you fan boys are not really down with the knees since it sounds like nothing (at least of what i've heard) they have done before.

Pookie 07.06.2007 10:25 AM

Didn't even know it was out! Maybe it's not in the UK?

dazedcola 07.06.2007 10:47 AM

Yea Im a big meat puppets fan and I didnt hear it was out yet either.

dazedcola 07.06.2007 10:56 AM

more info off their myspace:

This record is very much a return to our ‘80s approach,” Curt Kirkwood says of the new Meat Puppets album Rise to Your Knees. “It cost next to nothing to make, and everything on it is a first take. My attitude now is that I refuse to spend a lot of money on this, I refuse to overthink it, and I refuse to let other people impose their own agendas on my band.”

Rise to Your Knees is the first album of new material to bear the Meat Puppets name since 2000, and the first in a dozen years to reunite guitarist/singer/main songwriter Curt with his brother, bassist/co-founder Cris Kirkwood, who recently rejoined the band after a lengthy struggle with substance abuse.

The 15-song album—the resurgent Meat Puppets’ first for the independent Anodyne label—boasts the same visionary fusion of complementary contrasts that originally endeared the band to a large and loyal audience in the 1980s, when they emerged from their hometown of Phoenix, Arizona to redefine the parameters of American indie rock.

Rise to Your Knees—recorded in the band’s adopted home base of Austin, Texas—finds the Kirkwoods and new drummer Ted Marcus tapping into the same adventurous spirit that first put Meat Puppets on the map, recapturing the transcendent highs of their most celebrated work. The resulting music adds an inspired new chapter to the already massive legacy of a band whose body of music is an indispensable cornerstone of contemporary alternative rock.

Tour Dates:
Jul 21 20078:00Pthe windjammer festivalisle of palms, South CarolinaAug 24 200710:00PRubber GlovesDenton, TexasAug 25 20078:00PBricktown BallroomOklahoma City, OklahomaAug 26 20079:00PThe Record BarKansas City, MissouriAug 27 20078:00PHeadliners Music HallLouisville, KentuckyAug 28 20078:00PMr. Small's TheaterMillvale, PennsylvaniaAug 29 20078:00PKnitting FactoryNew York, New YorkAug 30 20078:00PKnitting FactoryNew YorkSep 1 200711:00ASnow Ridge Ski Area, moe. down music festivalTurin, New YorkSep 2 20078:30PHigher Ground ShowcaseSouth Burlington, VermontSep 5 20078:30PPearl Street: downstairsNorthampton, MassachusettsSep 6 20079:00PMiddle East Club DownstairsCambridge, MassachusettsSep 7 200710:30PWorld Cafe Live DownstairsPhiladelphia, PennsylvaniaSep 8 20078:00PTBATBASep 9 20079:00PBlack CatWASHINGTON, Washington DCSep 10 20078:45PCat's CradleCarrboro, North CarolinaSep 12 20078:00PThe EarlAtlanta, GeorgiaSep 13 20079:00PThe Orange PeelAshville, North CarolinaSep 14 20079:00PZydecoBirmingham, AlabamaSep 15 20078:00POne Eyes JacksNew Orleans, Louisiana

LittlePuppetBoy 07.06.2007 12:42 PM

I had no idea it was out, I should check it out. I love their first three albums ( I haven't heard the rest yet)

Everyneurotic 07.06.2007 10:35 PM

well, it hasn't been released yet, i got a "promo" copy of it.

anyhoo, i love love love it.

Pookie 07.07.2007 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
well, it hasn't been released yet, i got a "promo" copy of it.

Hardly surprising that nobody's mentioned it then!?

Everyneurotic 07.08.2007 12:54 PM

well, the new thurston and animal collective albums are already being heard by so many people and both are coming out in september, i thought someone might have downloaded it already since it will be released in a couple of weeks.

whatever.

brilliant, brilliant album.

Pookie 07.10.2007 04:21 PM

Released 27th July in the UK.

Andrés 07.13.2007 10:33 PM

Very good album! who needs new bands when you have the meat puppets?

ybag_girl 07.13.2007 10:45 PM

i loved it...

Concrete Abutments 07.15.2007 09:15 AM

Eeeewwww

I'm having a REALLY hard time with the new Meat Puppets album. I'm a BIG fan from waaaaaaay back and have seen them several times over the years. This album has NOTHING memorable on it except maybe "Disappear." "New Leaf" was already released on the Rykodisc "Classic Puppets" comp a few years back.

Definitely not what they're capable of. Even Curt Kirkwood's side projects Volcano and Eyes Adrift blow this one away.

I"m bummed. But with the return of Cris, who can complain really. I say, let 'em get the juices flowing again together. They're allowed one mishap with Derrick Bostrom not with them anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ybag_girl
i loved it...

Everyneurotic 07.15.2007 08:21 PM

yeah, i know the diehard fans wouldn't like them.

Concrete Abutments 07.18.2007 12:14 AM

Bump

I just felt this thread was worthy of a bump. It's getting lost in the shuffle especially since the classic album stuff started.

Quote:

yeah, i know the diehard fans wouldn't like them.

Pookie 07.25.2007 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Concrete Abutments
I'm having a REALLY hard time with the new Meat Puppets album. I'm a BIG fan from waaaaaaay back and have seen them several times over the years. This album has NOTHING memorable on it except maybe "Disappear." "New Leaf" was already released on the Rykodisc "Classic Puppets" comp a few years back.

Definitely not what they're capable of. Even Curt Kirkwood's side projects Volcano and Eyes Adrift blow this one away.

I"m bummed. But with the return of Cris, who can complain really. I say, let 'em get the juices flowing again together. They're allowed one mishap with Derrick Bostrom not with them anymore.

Agree completely. I almost want to weep I'm so disappointed. I knew I should have just ignored its existance.

It's by-numbers Meat Puppets. And Curt's solo album may not have been perfect, but it had some cracking tracks on it.

Everyneurotic 07.25.2007 09:42 PM

ohh come on, the tunes are awesome!!!! perhaps if they formed under another name, they would be celebrated as the most awesome new alt supergroup

Concrete Abutments 07.25.2007 11:07 PM

(YAWN!) It's just not memorable! NOTHING on it makes me wanna play it again and again. At least I can drive and sing along to anything else in their catalog. This one goes nowhere.

Do you have anything else by them?

Quote:

ohh come on, the tunes are awesome!!!! perhaps if they formed under another name, they would be celebrated as the most awesome new alt supergroup

Everyneurotic 07.25.2007 11:44 PM

yep, i have II, have listened to in a car and the self titled and too high to die.

actually, i find II way more unmemorable than rise to your knees, that album was really important for it's time, influence to boot and it certainly is good, but it's just not that good, it's awesome when you hear it but then you forget about it until you go "ohh right, the meat puppets are great". in a car is way better, actually i think my favorites so far are in a car and rise to your knees.

perhaps you guys miss the twang?

and what's with "it's so unmemorable" i haven't listened to it for more than two weeks and i still have those songs stuck in my head.

Pookie 07.26.2007 03:08 AM

I certainly don't miss early Meat Puppets. Other than Up On The Sun, I'm a much bigger fan of their later stuff. I love the realy heavy sound and Curt's voice is great (although he still can't hold a note).

But I agree with Concrete Abutments (?), there's just nothing memorable on it. With all their previous albums, I'd be blown away by a few tracks on first listen. But after a few plays of Rise To Your Knees, I can't remember a single track. If MP released singles, I'd swear this was an album of b-sides.

I have to add, I'm the biggest MP fan. I've been buying their records for nearly 20 years (fuck me!), and I even loved the records without Chris, so I'm not doing a random MP bash. I'm just really disappointed.

Everyneurotic 07.26.2007 09:29 PM

i don't know, to my ears, independently of all their other releases, i thought they crafted an awesome album and i thought they get extra credit for doing something they haven;t done before.

my opinion, of course, you can disagree with me.

it's probably more of a grower of an album for someone expecting anything from it.