Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Is Trump really a serious contender for the Republican nomination? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=113183)

Severian 07.08.2018 12:46 PM

Side note: There’s a very good show on Showtime (Showtime? Yeah) called The Fourth Estate about the New York Times’ struggle to cover the Trump administration amid open animosity from the White House and the right as a whole, financial difficulties and just really fucking weird/crazy news non-stop.

Good, compelling show. Just learned about its existence.

!@#$%! 07.08.2018 01:27 PM

^^too long to quote your post and im typing on a phone but i wasnt having a debate with you 2 years ago, i was replying to evolloves idea that "dems need to vote" -- it's a simple sentence but the concept of "dems" is complex as fuck. A case of grammar obscuring reality. Ok!

Eta: also, suchbongs was never a "democrat" in the first place. As a theocrat, he always only impersonated a voter.

Skuj 07.08.2018 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Ok, love you Slambang, but this is the very discussion we were having two years ago. Just sayin’. Personally, I can’t take this whole thing... again... fucking blimey.

I think Skuj was specifically talking about/to SFAD, who — if y’all recall — wasn’t gonna vote, thinking somehow that not giving into the system is the answer to the problem. And it probably is in the loooooooong run, but that’s not how you address an impending flicking threat. When you’re faced with a decision between a walking horrorshow championing unapologetic aggression toward the fundamentals of democracy and a smarty pants who’s kind of a bitch... you fucking choose the qualified person who’s kind of a bitch, and you SHUT THE FUCK UP AND PRAY.

Yes, Dems are horrifically disorganized. They have weak campaigns and weak messages that almost exclusicely play into the Trump narrative, so yet again we’re faced with a “We’re not Trump, vote for me because DUH DON’T VOTE FOR THEM” kind of thing and it’s not looking promising from where I’m sitting.

Sounds crazy and premature, but the Dems need firepower. They need an Obama. They need an ambitious, partially-qualified powerhouse to speak to the people of this country who only have rage and hatred toward Trump and his party, and don’t have a clear idea of what they want that is not a reaction to Trump. They need to have their rage addressed, but they also need guidance and someone to throw up a torch for them and be pro-something instead of just anti-Trump.

From my perspective, that’s what congressional and legislative distrtics need, that’s what the nation as a whole needs. An alternate message that makes sense and points to a clear path forward. More than just “Trump = bad!”

Minority wouldn’t hurt, but in this climate would probably get assassinated before making any real headway. Probably a white man, but... I dunno, maybe a young one? Shit.

The thing that gets me day in and day out is.....WHERE IS THE FUCKING OUTRAGE? Schumer is just too nice. Every single day Team Trump is lying and tripping over itself, and where are the Dems?

!@#$%! 07.08.2018 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skuj
The thing that gets me day in and day out is.....WHERE IS THE FUCKING OUTRAGE? Schumer is just too nice. Every single day Team Trump is lying and tripping over itself, and where are the Dems?

Democrats are the Arsenal (FC) of American politics

See: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...3bc_story.html

Severian 07.08.2018 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
^^too long to quote your post and im typing on a phone but i wasnt having a debate with you 2 years ago, i was replying to evolloves idea that "dems need to vote" -- it's a simple sentence but the concept of "dems" is complex as fuck. A case of grammar obscuring reality. Ok!

Eta: also, suchbongs was never a "democrat" in the first place. As a theocrat, he always only impersonated a voter.

I was just saying, this sounds like what we were saying after Trump got elected. Not beefin, just making an observation.
We good?

Also, yeah about SFAD, but either way... dude shoulda voted. Not voting was not an answer.

Severian 07.08.2018 03:42 PM

Quote:

I hear ya. All that talk of not normalizing, and the Capital Hill Dems pretty much did exactly that.

Skuj 07.08.2018 04:38 PM

They should be doing everything in their power to STOP the next SCOTUS nominee prior to Nov elections. McConnell cannot have it both ways.

Bytor Peltor 07.08.2018 04:48 PM

Democrats Are Going To Be Pissed......does she plan to spend 2 Billion in 2020?

Skuj 07.08.2018 05:02 PM

There is NO FUCKING WAY that she will run again, and New York Post is .......what exactly is it?

Edit: "In 2017, the New York Post was reported to be the preferred newspaper of U.S. President Donald Trump,[79][80] who maintains frequent contact with its owner, Rupert Murdoch.[80] "

LOL.

ilduclo 07.08.2018 05:14 PM

Quote:

They should be doing everything in their power to STOP the next SCOTUS nominee prior to Nov elections. McConnell cannot have it both ways.

that's one we likely won't win, we can hope for some fatal illnesses in Alito, Roberts, Thomas, though. Roberts already had a pretty significant health scare.

http://content.time.com/time/nation/...648384,00.html

evollove 07.08.2018 06:32 PM

^

I agree fighting nom is a losing battle. And yet...

I'm headed to Sen Rob Portman's office on Tuesday. I kinda have to. I mean, I won't face a fine or anything, but it would be bad form. I REALLY don't want to. I have better things to do. Better things to protest actually.

It's pointless. But I have to. But it's pointless. But...etc

Gets worse. I need a letter. I'm suppose to deliver a letter to him re: SCOTUS nom. No idea what to say. None.

Ideas?

Someone do my homework.

!@#$%! 07.08.2018 06:55 PM

Quote:

I was just saying, this sounds like what we were saying after Trump got elected. Not beefin, just making an observation.
We good?

Also, yeah about SFAD, but either way... dude shoulda voted. Not voting was not an answer.

no not beefing. just trying to point that the job is not an easy one. and everyone needs to do their part and even then it won’t be guaranteed

but you know, the battle of stalingrad took like 2.5 million deaths and it turned hitler back

this is clearly a metaphor

all im saying is it’s gonna take a shittttttttttttttton of individual efforts to add up to a victory, and even then who knows, because i’m not sure yet what’s the strategy

and im absolutely not saying “give up and die”. i’m just vaccinating against the inevitable frustrations ahead.

!@#$%! 07.08.2018 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
^

I agree fighting nom is a losing battle. And yet...

I'm headed to Sen Rob Portman's office on Tuesday. I kinda have to. I mean, I won't face a fine or anything, but it would be bad form. I REALLY don't want to. I have better things to do. Better things to protest actually.

It's pointless. But I have to. But it's pointless. But...etc

Gets worse. I need a letter. I'm suppose to deliver a letter to him re: SCOTUS nom. No idea what to say. None.

Ideas?

Someone do my homework.

i’ll play

gimme some background

PM preferrable to avoid googability but whatever works for you

Skuj 07.08.2018 07:16 PM

Yeah, I just think the Lay Down And Die attitude of the current Dems leadership, even if they feel Team Trump will get their way anyway, is no way to breath life into The Cause.

FIGHT!!!

McConnell is clearly one of the worst human beings ever.

!@#$%! 07.08.2018 07:21 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I just think the Lay Down And Die attitude of the current Dems leadership, even if they feel Team Trump will get their way anyway, is no way to breath life into The Cause.

FIGHT!!!

McConnell is clearly one of the worst human beings ever.

correct x3

evollove 07.09.2018 06:37 AM

Quote:

i’ll play

gimme some background

PM preferrable to avoid googability but whatever works for you

Oh, I don't care who knows, as far as I'm concerned.

Trump will announce SCOTUS nom tonight. Tomorrow, a bunch of people will go to Senator Rob Portman's (R) office to protest. That's it.

(But protest who? Why?)

I guess when you go to any Senator's office, they make you fill out a form about why you're there. Instead, we're all supposed to deliver a letter. "Don't rubber stamp the nom" should be the main thrust of the letter, I guess.

I don't know. Feels pointless. Can't generate any enthusiasm for this.

!@#$%! 07.09.2018 07:37 AM

yeah that’s often the price of being a foot soldier i these wars. you’re sent on absurd missions. but remember stalingrad.

anyway i saw the guy’s website. i’d say appeal to his conservative principles in your letter.

evollove 07.09.2018 07:59 AM

Quote:

but remember stalingrad.

Will do.

Of course, it might get called off.

Trump could nominate a sensible moderate with a long history of fighting for just causes, right? Right?

!@#$%! 07.09.2018 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Trump could nominate a sensible moderate with a long history of fighting for just causes, right? Right?

i dont like false hopes. my approach is wait and see and deal. of course everything is possible, some things are more probable, but we won’t know until we know

eta: having said that, i dislike everyone on the shortlist

Severian 07.09.2018 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Democrats Are Going To Be Pissed......does she plan to spend 2 Billion in 2020?

It’s the NY Post. Grain of salt.

Skuj 07.09.2018 02:52 PM

I know Peltor will be pissed at us for dismissing that "story" right off the bat because it is NY Post. But holy fuck, just look at that rag. How can seemingly intelligent people quote anything from it? This is what baffles me the most in these Trumpy Times. Can't people see really bad/false journalism when it hits them on the head?

Bytor Peltor 07.09.2018 02:59 PM

Quote:

It’s the NY Post. Grain of salt.

Absolutely, grain of salt everything......or as Dead-Air aka Ricardo Wang often says on his radio show, “always use discretion.”

Not long after Hillary lost her bid for President, many speculated CNN would give her a weekly talk show. It would keep her relevant and on voters minds until she announced she was running in 2020. Instead, she ended up in another country speaking to a room full of muslims, telling them how she lost because many American women aren’t allowed to think and vote for themselves......instead they are stuck doing their husbands bidding.

I believe this was the last we heard from Hillary regarding the election. Our buddy Skuj is often clamoring about the Dems and why no one is stepping up. Far as I can tell, they have no current front runner......possibly Bernie?

I sure hope it’s someone other than bitter Hillary!

Bytor Peltor 07.09.2018 03:07 PM

Quote:

I know Peltor will be pissed at us for dismissing that "story" right off the bat because it is NY Post.

Why would I be pissed?

I could care less......other than I would rather see anyone but Hillary run in 2020.

I don’t read The Post, I shared the story because it held the top spot at Drudge this weekend and I thought it could possibly lead to discussion.

However, I wasn’t surprised at all by your quick dismissal as it’s what you regularly do here: Hanity Talking Points, Fox News, Trump Tweets.

Skuj 07.09.2018 03:08 PM

Peltor, I will send you $100US if Clinton announces she is running again, ok?

Will you send me anything if she doesn't?

(And, I agree with Clinton on what many women did!!)

(I also agree with you on one point - ie who do the Dems have? It's summer 2018 for fuck sake!!)

!@#$%! 07.09.2018 03:46 PM

Quote:

(And, I agree with Clinton on what many women did!!)

(I also agree with you on one point - ie who do the Dems have? It's summer 2018 for fuck sake!!)

peltor is a gambling man so beware what you ask for

also... i believe hilary could try to run again

i dont think she should though...

but she could...

Skuj 07.09.2018 04:22 PM

I read What Happened. There is no fucking way. I'm betting $100US on it.

The right wing media brings up this shit every now and then to deflect. We'll still be hearing about her emails and her running again in 2023.

!@#$%! 07.09.2018 04:45 PM

Quote:

I read What Happened. There is no fucking way. I'm betting $100US on it.

The right wing media brings up this shit every now and then to deflect. We'll still be hearing about her emails and her running again in 2023.

yes... for the right, she’s the gift that keeps on giving

but... i don’t need to read a book to know “what happened”. i know what happened... i saw her give speeches.

but what if she decides to give it another go?

here’s to elizabeth warren in 2020...

interesting to see if bytor matches your bet ha ha ha. i think he might...

Bytor Peltor 07.09.2018 07:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

interesting to see if bytor matches your bet ha ha ha. i think he might...

“In the poker game of life, it’s wrong to let a sucker keep his money!”

Symbols is correct, I have a little gamble in me and I do enjoy a good wager. One only needs to look at the title of this thread to realize ANYTHING is possible!

No doubt Hillary has fanatical followers, they however in no way are representative of the Democratic Party. Obama came out of no where to beat her ten years ago......then a successful businessman turned gameshow host who doesn’t know how to be a politician beat her two years ago.

At this point, I would think Chelsea would garner more support than her mother.

All this being said, give me a few days to research and we might have some sort of wager : )

!@#$%! 07.09.2018 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Obama came out of no where to beat her ten years ago......

[...]

At this point, I would think Chelsea would garner more support than her mother.

haaa haaaa haaa yes

i supported obama and was against her because i don’t like political dynasties like the bushes (though bush 2 now looks like a sage by comparison)

in 2016 i had no choice but she was not my first choice— wish biden had gone for it.

but please no more hilary. please no more. please no more. don’t wanna read “what happened 2” either.

let someone else run.

let her leave just like messi and ronaldo left the world cup :D

Skuj 07.10.2018 12:20 AM

She fucking won't. I'm so sure about it that I told Peltor I will send him $100 if she does. He doesn't even have to research/accept/counter. He can just sit there. I made my statement of intent.

She fucking said as much, and I don't believe that she will change her mind.

(I must be the only person here who thought she would have been a good POTUS.)

!@#$%! 07.10.2018 05:01 AM

she could have been good yeah. better than the current antichrist. coulda woulda shoulda: was gonna.
she was a terrible candidate though: anticharisma and a dull campaign. convoluted speeches and muddled message. “despicables” a huge pr boner (see romneys “47%”). the dnc conspiring for her did not help. ayayay. tim kaine her jabroni. zzzzzzz.

warren/someone 2020 please

!@#$%! 07.10.2018 05:55 AM

ugh, kavanaugh...

Screaming Skull 07.10.2018 11:52 AM

Quote:

ugh, kavanaugh...

Kavanaugh is actually a straight-shooter. Not much to complain about here, folks. Not bad at all. Whew!

!@#$%! 07.10.2018 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Screaming Skull
Kavanaugh is actually a straight-shooter. Not much to complain about here, folks. Not bad at all. Whew!

well im sure glad it wasn’t the opus dei or whatever lol but still...

ilduclo 07.10.2018 12:54 PM

Quote:

https://www.afj.org/wp-content/uploa...-Kavanaugh.pdf

Severian 07.10.2018 02:10 PM

Quote:

This is definitely sarcastic.

Also, “straight-shooter” is politispeak for “evil but it’s not like I’m gonna say ‘evil.’”

ilduclo 07.11.2018 09:23 AM

No, Kavenaugh isn’t a reasonable jurist. He wouldn’t be on that list if he were

In E.M.E. Homer City Generation v. Environmental Protection Agency, he wrote a majority opinion for the D.C. Circuit Court striking down a federal program to regulate air pollution that crossed state boundaries. The Supreme Court later took up the case and overruled him 6-2, with Justice Kennedy and Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. voting to uphold the pollution rule

Severian 07.11.2018 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilduclo
No, Kavenaugh isn’t a reasonable jurist. He wouldn’t be on that list if he were

He worked with Kenneth Star for fuck’s sake, then went on to take a stand against sitting presidents having to answer to legal matters while in office. Seriously, why is the internet hot broken? How are we keeping it together?

!@#$%! 07.11.2018 12:56 PM

i need to get back to putin’s pr cup or i wil go mad ha ha ha

see you after sunday

ilduclo 07.11.2018 01:26 PM

what Sev said

and, here's some info

then: "Brett Kavanaugh wanted to ask Bill Clinton, under oath, about the specific places he ejaculated onto"

https://www.thewrap.com/trump-scotus...nica-lewinsky/

now: "BRETT KAVANAUGH: TRUMP'S SUPREME COURT PICK THINKS PRESIDENTS SHOULD BE IMMUNE FROM CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION"

http://www.newsweek.com/brett-kavana...immune-1015521

p'raps this is a PARTISAN pov?