Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Sound-art/ found sound/ field recordings [etc] (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=34400)

Glice 09.11.2009 05:40 AM

Sound-art/ found sound/ field recordings [etc]

It seems I quite like a lot of the above. I've been playing Jacob Kierkegaard's Labyrinthitis a lot lately. It's some sort of sound art thing where he records the differential tones produced by his own ears. It's an incredible record.

Also (same label) I've been playing Chris Watson's Outside the circle of fire a lot lately.

A series of field recordings from various places. Highly recommended.

And, as some of you probably know

this is one of my favourite records ever. Four CDs of SW number station recordings. Does it get any better?

So yeah, have a thread for the kind of records that fall into the category of 'thank fuck someone put this pile of weird out'.

atsonicpark 09.11.2009 05:46 AM

I am currently downloading something I can upload for you later that would be right up your alley if you like this stuff.

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Okkul...elease/1246626

it's a 3 disc collection of audio documents of paranormal phenomena including trance speech, direct voices, clairvoyance, xenoglossy, glossolia including ethnological material, paranormal music, "rappings" and other poltergeist manifestations as well as so-called "Electronic voice phenomena".

atsonicpark 09.11.2009 05:48 AM

I quite like this "Genre", I've got some discs of people in the woods beating on trees and rocks. Can't remember the name, also I posted an album a while back by an acoustic guitarist playing Fahey-ish compositions but the main sound you hear on the record is birds chirping, cars passing by, etc, and his guitar is playing in the distance. Can't recall the name of that either haha. I guess that's part of the fun, a lot of it is so anonymous, just some random guy recording this shit.. there's a lot of stuff like this on archive.org, almost too much to investigate.

I definitely will check out the stuff you posted above, as I've been meaning to get into this stuff more. Like I said in the other thread, DOG POUND FOUND SOUND is the field recording to get if you want to hear some crazy shit. It's 2 1/2 hours (2 discs) of dogs barking, crying, yelping, screaming from an animal shelter. I could only take 2 minutes of it before I turned it off. THe most extreme recording I've ever heard.

Glice 09.11.2009 06:11 AM

I used to have a load of EVP recordings but I got rid of a lot of it in one of my periodical mp3 purges. I'll add the record you've mentioned above to my shopping list.

Did you ever hear this?

Yet another reason to love Tzadik.

The only problem I find is that in amoungst the strange ambient/ field/ found sound things there's a lot of total prickery. I really liked the idea of Aki Onda when I read about him, but what I've heard has severely irritated me.

I can't find any downloads of that dog pound found sound, which is a shame as it seems like the sort of agony I might well enjoy.

atsonicpark 09.11.2009 07:32 AM

Ah, it's on slsk. I'd send it your way but I deleted it a few hours ago.

Is that the Dion McGregor record, or...? I don't recognize the cover.

Glice 09.11.2009 07:39 AM

Yeah, that's the one. I haven't used slsk for ages. They're on 157 now - the last time I used it it was 155. 'Mazing.

floatingslowly 09.11.2009 08:25 AM

up the EVP's if you will please.

atsonicpark 09.11.2009 08:37 AM

Aight, I will later, it's 260mb.

atsonicpark 09.11.2009 08:42 AM

Oh, just did some searching and found a blog with all 3 discs:

http://post-paranoia.blogspot.com/20...ale-musik.html

enjoy.

floatingslowly 09.11.2009 08:44 AM

muchas greasy ass.

Glice 09.11.2009 09:14 AM

Didn't sublime frequencies put out a few radio surfing jobbies at some point? Anyone heard them?

floatingslowly 09.11.2009 09:19 AM

^^^ dunno, but I REALLY want that Conet Project disc.

big ups to ithinkimissyou and hip priest for even bringing number stations to my attention. if I had the money, I'd love to invest in a short-wave.

atsonicpark 09.11.2009 10:11 AM

http://www.archive.org/details/ird059

The Conet Project - Recordings of Shortwave Numbers Stations [ird059] ()

Glice 09.11.2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I definitely will check out the stuff you posted above, as I've been meaning to get into this stuff more. Like I said in the other thread, DOG POUND FOUND SOUND is the field recording to get if you want to hear some crazy shit. It's 2 1/2 hours (2 discs) of dogs barking, crying, yelping, screaming from an animal shelter. I could only take 2 minutes of it before I turned it off. THe most extreme recording I've ever heard.

I'm a little over 30 minutes in and both of my housemates have politely asked that I never listen to this record while I'm having a bath again.

Interestingly, there's load of little cuts and peaks on the record, which makes me think that (mp3 crapness aside) it was recorded so that there's minimal silence. There's the odd quiet whine or squeal that suddenly gets cut off and rejoins with one of the bass barks.

A friend of mine once asked me to make a tape for a friend of hers. It was the friend's birthday and she wanted to give her a tape that would really get on her tits. I ended up doing what I called a kitchen symphony (lots of clattering about in a kitchen) which was moderately irritating but, ultimately, still quite good. I should've given her this recording really.

I also listened to that Recordings Of Unseen Intelligences as well. I quite liked the glossolalia stuff and some of the trances but generally I wasn't so into a lot of it. Too much narrative, not enough strange noises. There was a thread Marras made about EVP, I'll try and find that tomorrow (going to the pub in a minute).

I've got some LPs of birdsong I could upload tomorrow night if anyone's interested.

Toilet & Bowels 09.12.2009 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Didn't sublime frequencies put out a few radio surfing jobbies at some point? Anyone heard them?

yeah, they're ok but i much prefer their "normal" releases

for EVP my favourite things i've heard are Friedrich Jurgensen's recordings

Aaaadrpk 09.14.2009 12:49 AM

Nice Videos

Nice Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0qe3...eature=related

about stop motion, very cool =)

atsonicpark 09.25.2009 05:20 AM

Glice, have you heard any Jeph Jerman stuff? He has about 5000 releases of field recordings and shit, he's pretty cool. He has this track called "Amplified Soup", if that gives you any indication of what he sounds like. There's some good shit where he goes into the woods and beats on rocks and twigs and stuff. My favorite project by him is CITY OF WORMS which is super super dark "field recordings".

atsonicpark 09.25.2009 05:22 AM

holy shit aaaaard, that video rules!

Glice 09.25.2009 06:02 AM

City of Worms rings a bell - I'll take a look on slsk, I may have had a bash before.

I was going to bump this thread because I was listening to this last night:

Which is a recording of over 50 years of 2 minute silences recorded by the BBC. Which, as far as ambient recordings go, is pretty good. You also get a good sense of different recording techniques over the years.

atsonicpark 09.25.2009 06:06 AM

haha okay I'm definitely going to get that.