Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Amy Winehouse's Rehab (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13857)

nomowish 06.12.2007 12:03 AM

Amy Winehouse's Rehab

I thought I was listening to the new Lauryn Hill song from the Surf's Up soundtrack, until I heard the lyrics, "They tried to take me to rehab, but I said, No, no, no", which reminded of me some lyrics I had read in an article or two about Amy Winehouse.

Nice song.

Everyneurotic 06.12.2007 12:13 AM

i rather listen to a 12 year old boy being raped.

nomowish 06.12.2007 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i rather listen to a 12 year old boy being raped.

Do you by any chance feel the same way about Lauryn Hill?

Everyneurotic 06.12.2007 12:35 AM

her solo stuff always seemed kinda mediocre. the fugees were fantastic, though.

pbradley 06.12.2007 12:38 AM

haha, my disney script writing cousin just gave my mom that Amy Winehouse album for her birthday

but I really don't have an opinion on it... not really my kind of music.

val-holla-ing 06.12.2007 12:57 AM

actually, lauryn hill has a really bad drug problem now. that's the main reason pras won't come back for a fugees reunion. back in 2005, they performed at the BET awards and it had become obvious that she was pretty bad off.

in any event, i love amy winehouse, but i'm tired of 'rehab.'

terminal pharmacy 06.12.2007 01:00 AM

the winehouse album is suprisingly good

val-holla-ing 06.12.2007 01:06 AM

agreed.

atsonicpark 06.12.2007 02:27 AM

yeah, this bitch is the worst thing to hit music since pink (or "P!NK" as some idiots spell it...). though not as bad as avril, she has a few things in common with both: 1) she's "REAL"... the production on her records, while still overly glossy, has a "hard edge" (the eq on some of the instruments is a bit more distorted than an N'Sync record or something).2) she's UGLY. i mean, yeah, okay, we'll get into this argument again, "Beauty's in the eye of the beholder" or wahtever but come on... I can see why dudes would find Jessica Simpson attractive, even though I think she's really ugyl... but Amy Winehouse and those aforementioned bitches? UGLY AS DOGS. Uglier.3) she's doing these stupid interviews where she says "fuck" and you got your fucking editor of these stories going "SHE'S NOT YOUR AVERAGE POP STAR.........."4) i haven't seen her video, but i'm taking a guess she is throwing stuff in it at some point? maybe throwing a pillow? breaking something? does she make the mean face? is it glossed over with a mascara-tinged camera filter?i'm sure there's more but fuck.as for lauryn hill, she stinks.

terminal pharmacy 06.12.2007 02:49 AM

i guess she isnt indie enough for atsonicpark, a good album is a good album as far as i am concerned, i'm guessing atsonic hasn't heard too many big band swing albums. and if you are going to bag something out and use seemingly technical things to do it (the eq on some of the instruments is a bit more distorted than an N'Sync record or something) you should perhaps know what you are talking about. and there is more about looks than anything musical apparently.

nicfit 06.12.2007 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
the winehouse album is suprisingly good

It sure is. I'm tired of people judging records by the "public persona" who sings on them, I can enjoy a record even without knowing wether or not the singer says "fuck" in interviews or is good looking. A good song is a good song, no matter who sings it.

atsonicpark 06.12.2007 03:21 AM

what? do YOU know what eq is? how is me saying "the eq on the same of the instruments is a bit more distorted" wrong? controlling the eq can give a wide dynamic range of sounds and you can really clean up an album with it or make it sound... hmm.. "dirtier". trust me -- i'm a fucking producer for christ's sakes.

as for amy winehouse being indie or not, i'm on the sonic youth board. and sonic youth is far from being indie. not to mention that i like the deftones, system of a down, tool, toadies, the list goes on and on and i don't need to defend myself. if i dislike an artist, i has nothing to do with them being indie or not. so, yeah.

not sure why i even bothered replying to your idiotic post.

atsonicpark 06.12.2007 03:23 AM

oh, and to clarify.

the music is terrible.

i can enjoy music for music's sake, but the music ITSELF is FUCKING TERRIBLE.

i'm just commenting on how annoying of a person she is, as well. so, sue me.

atsonicpark 06.12.2007 03:23 AM

...............oh fuck. someone just sued me.

terminal pharmacy 06.12.2007 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
what? do YOU know what eq is? how is me saying "the eq on the same of the instruments is a bit more distorted" wrong? controlling the eq can give a wide dynamic range of sounds and you can really clean up an album with it or make it sound... hmm.. "dirtier". trust me -- i'm a fucking producer for christ's sakes.

as for amy winehouse being indie or not, i'm on the sonic youth board. and sonic youth is far from being indie. not to mention that i like the deftones, system of a down, tool, toadies, the list goes on and on and i don't need to defend myself. if i dislike an artist, i has nothing to do with them being indie or not. so, yeah.

not sure why i even bothered replying to your idiotic post.

and what eq do you use mr producer, 1/3 octave, parametric, compressor with parametric. what models of eq do you use to dirty your sound, i'd like to know they sound like magic.

and at the tender age of what 24 25 you must have an incredible amount of experience

atsonicpark 06.12.2007 03:30 AM

i use adobe audition/cool edit pro and cakewalk for production. but i am fully aware of what eq is and everything about it. so yeah. no need to defend myself there. i've been producing music since i was 14... i've been SERIOUSLY producing it since i was 16. i'm 21 now.

terminal pharmacy 06.12.2007 03:33 AM

you questioned whether or not i knew what eq was, so back your shit up and tell me what it is, what models you use, why you use those particular ones, or is software eq all you can handle. what mics would you use for what job, and what is more appropriate for what kinds of voices. where does the average vocal range of a person fall on a 1/3 octave graphic, you can't just go trust me im a producer then not back your shit up with knowledge.

as a side note i quite like some of the scissor shock stuff

atsonicpark 06.12.2007 03:50 AM

Well, thank you. It's nice to see that, in the middle of an argument, you can compliment me as well. Civilized!

Anyway, I'm not an EQ EXPERT, I mainly know my shit from software, you obviously know more than me, so I don't know what else to say. I'm pretty sure EVERYONE knows what EQ is, I know more than most people, but I probably couldn't tell you any equipment to use. I'm just Mr. Musicrecordingsoftwareproducer, not Steve Albini. So, yeah.

My whole point in the original post.. i guess I shall restate it: I just think it's FUNNY when artists that want to appear to be "Tough" and "Real" (like Avril, Pink, Amy, all that shit...) get that sub-distorted "edge" layer underneath their otherwise-glossy sound. Know what I'm talking about? Like, you'll hear one of the instruments and it isn't QUITE as glossy (though it still sounds like bubblegum, maybe just bubblegum with a little dirt chunk in it)... it's just hilarious. "tHE GRITTY SOUNDS OF THE NEW QUEEN OF POP MUZAK."

nicfit 06.12.2007 03:54 AM

Now that's a nice "toned down" reply Adam (I mean it for real). Both of you guys did good , this "argument" didn't become too trashy ;) .

sonicl 06.12.2007 04:01 AM

I can't separate Amy Whinehouse the public persona from Amy Whinehouse the musician, I'm afraid. "Rehab" is very catchy in a retro-swing kind of way, but Ms Whinehouse is a severe irritant whose personality negates any musical talent she may have. Oh, and she has a face like a very ugly horse.

OT - Only three posts to go to 4000, Nicfit. I hope your party will be as good as Screamingskull's.

nicfit 06.12.2007 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
I can't separate Amy Whinehouse the public persona from Amy Whinehouse the musician, I'm afraid. "Rehab" is very catchy in a retro-swing kind of way, but Ms Whinehouse is a severe irritant whose personality negates any musical talent she may have. Oh, and she has a face like a very ugly horse.

OT - Only three posts to go to 4000, Nicfit. I hope your party will be as good as Screamingskull's.

Dunno, maybe here in Italy things are a bit different gossip-wise ( I don't think you see her pictures in gossip magazines and such), she could be much more overexposed in uk or usa, but the point is, saying her personality negates any talent is just wrong. And here I'm not talkin' specifically about Amy Winehouse (or is it Whine?), I speak on a general level. Kubrick surely wasn't a sweety pie (:confused:), does this lessen his value as a director? Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing them/their outputs, but I think that as long as I don't have to "deal" with an artist in person I don't care much about his/her human qualities/personality. After all, as I said before, what we "get" is just their marketed image most of the times.

OT bis : I should start setting up a place to party, uh?

sonicl 06.12.2007 04:34 AM

It's probably no help, but I feel the same way about Lily Allen too. And Pete Doherty. There seems to be a certain type of musician that is more famous for his or her notoriety than for the music he or she produces. I heard interviews with Amy W(h)inehouse (just to clarify) before I heard any music by her, and her attitude just turned me off. And Lily Allen just keeps a high media profile for herself by slagging off other people, rather than by making good music (which I will admit she sometimes does). I have no time for that kind of crap.

Pete Doherty is (supposedly) going to perform at a concert that I'm going to on Sunday. I'm going to try to go with an open mind regarding him, but I can't help viewing him as a fool who would be more or less unknown were it not for his drug habit.

sarramkrop 06.12.2007 04:48 AM

Her music is like mould that puts off from eating even the hungriest of flies. I knew she was public, but I wasn't aware that she had a personality to speak of. Paris is the way to go.

nicfit 06.12.2007 04:53 AM

Quote:

There seems to be a certain type of musician that is more famous for his or her notoriety than for the music he or she produces.

That is true, but this does not affect their music. Their exposure for sure, but not their music.

Quote:

I heard interviews with Amy W(h)inehouse (just to clarify) before I heard any music by her, and her attitude just turned me off. And Lily Allen just keeps a high media profile for herself by slagging off other people, rather than by making good music (which I will admit she sometimes does). I have no time for that kind of crap.

So why bother listening/reading interviews and stuff they say? Maybe I'm just a lucky guy "locked" in his own mentality, but I always listen to the music (especially when it comes to "pop" music) without caring of the "public persona" (again, sorry I have a limited vocabulary) of the singer.
Now I'l stop posting here, time to party. ha ha. no, really, I already said almost all I could say on this subject. It's all a matter of points of views, but I think I'm lucky to have the "ability" to enjoy songs with no prejudices. YEAH cool!

therealglenstyler 06.12.2007 04:54 AM

ace album, its a pop album for sure and if you are 'anti' pop then i'd say avoid but if you're open to the possibility of a pop album also being a good or great album then its a great collection of songs, beautifully sung and well produced (which is a m,iracle in itself considering half of it is mark ronson helmed). there's my oar.

nicfit 06.12.2007 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Her music is like mould that puts off from eating even the hungriest of flies. I knew she was public, but I wasn't aware that she had a personality to speak of. Paris is the way to go.

The way to go to JAIL! ha!

sonicl 06.12.2007 04:56 AM

The radio is on every morning in our house, so I hear stuff regardless of whether or not I want to.

nicfit 06.12.2007 05:01 AM

Quote:

The radio is on every morning in our house, so I hear stuff regardless of whether or not I want to.

If there's no chance to negotiate with your lady, try these:
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/1167223...ng_Headset.jpg

sarramkrop 06.12.2007 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
The way to go to JAIL! ha!

terminal pharmacy 06.12.2007 05:22 AM

i'm diggin the album, but i don't ever listen to radio or watch video hits type shows so my brain is non corrupted from the smegma, i think she has a great voice and the album is very well recorded and produced

screamingskull 06.12.2007 05:35 AM

Love Lauren Hill
Hate Amy Winehouse

and in all my days as a sonic youth fan i never ever thought we would have a thread about god damn amy winehouse on here, it just doesn't fit.

val-holla-ing 06.12.2007 06:01 AM

Quote:

as for amy winehouse being indie or not, i'm on the sonic youth board. and sonic youth is far from being indie. not to mention that i like the deftones, system of a down, tool, toadies, the list goes on and on and i don't need to defend myself.

system of a down? tool? you're harping on amy winehouse, but you listen to a bunch of whining by maladjusted 30-30 somethings who can barely hold a fucking note? come on! you want to talk about one's public persona, then talk about the reverend maynard james keenan who, at the young age of 43, is still runs around stage in makeup and a speedo, all the while pretending to be subversive. the "cries of the carrots" indeed.

and despite the fact that sonic youth are on geffen, they very much so possess the indie rock aesthetic. sometimes it's less an issue of what label they're on and more the sound and attitude of a band, but who fucking cares if something's "indie" or not.

nicfit 06.12.2007 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingskull
Love Lauren Hill
Hate Amy Winehouse

and in all my days as a sonic youth fan i never ever thought we would have a thread about god damn amy winehouse on here, it just doesn't fit.

Looks like almost ALL uk boarders have something "against" her. Basically I agree with what TP said, but that's not a big deal.

screamingskull 06.12.2007 06:47 AM

in the uk she is tooooooo overexposed

Torn Curtain 06.12.2007 07:35 AM

terminal pharmacy and nicfit have good points, many talented musicians are assholes, what matters is the music.

atsonicpark 06.12.2007 08:29 AM

on that subject

I once met a band... not going to name them, but Pitchfork loved them for like a month... kinda dancy band... really hyper first ep but then they kinda toned down... anyway, total fucking assholes, and it's hard for me to listen to them now. I can separate the music from the artist, but at the same time, if I find a band interesting and the people involved nice enough, then I'll probably give their music more of a chance than if they're complete jerkoffs. I can always admit if music is GOOD, despite the personality of the people involved, but it's harder for me to listen to bands when I despise their members... it's like not going to see a movie because Jared Leto's in it.. .that's understandable, right?

therealglenstyler 06.12.2007 08:48 AM

who was it?? !!!???

atsonicpark 06.12.2007 09:05 AM

:)

thunderbirds are now

val-holla-ing 06.12.2007 10:12 AM

Quote:

on that subject

I once met a band... not going to name them, but Pitchfork loved them for like a month... kinda dancy band... really hyper first ep but then they kinda toned down... anyway, total fucking assholes, and it's hard for me to listen to them now. I can separate the music from the artist, but at the same time, if I find a band interesting and the people involved nice enough, then I'll probably give their music more of a chance than if they're complete jerkoffs. I can always admit if music is GOOD, despite the personality of the people involved, but it's harder for me to listen to bands when I despise their members... it's like not going to see a movie because Jared Leto's in it.. .that's understandable, right?

jared leto is a poohead to his fans, though. his shitty band plays quite frequently at the venue connected to the restaurant that my girlfriend works at and he's always a total asshole to the fangirls who hold him in such high regard. once he said "here, buy some of these fucking 30 seconds to mars underwear. they'd be good to keep your little pussy hairs in." then proceeded to blow her off. that's why he got gout.

atsonicpark 06.12.2007 10:18 AM

haha.

that's kind of funny actually.