Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   boredoms and other japanese acts. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=19143)

king_buzzo 01.22.2008 02:53 PM

boredoms and other japanese acts.
 
what should i start with boredoms?

reccomend some other japanese shit.


booooboboobobob.

drrrtyboots 01.22.2008 02:57 PM

Boredoms sound like absolutely no one else and asking for Japanese music is like asking where to start with American music.

Start with either Pop Tatari or Chocolate Synthesizer if you want some crazier, spontaneous noise or if you want godly sun worshipping goodness get Vision Creation Newsun or Super Ae.

king_buzzo 01.22.2008 03:01 PM

thnks.//////

sonicl 01.22.2008 03:11 PM

I guarantee you that you will love High Rise, if you can find anything by them. My recommendation is "Live" on PSF or Squealer:

 


Try this for size: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZY4Hs7Kn_I

As far as Boredoms are concerned, try Super Ae as a starting place.

two faced egg 01.22.2008 03:24 PM

Yea..Well It Seems i started with Pop Tatari & Chocalate Synth Super Rad! Just ordered Super roots 6 seems 66 mins of shorts jams i belieive ..i am the most fan of 00ioo (have said this a hundred times)..Feather Float is great might not be for everybody..kinda challenging...kila kila kila..Gold & Green ! yea...Munching down on Cannabis..

atsonicpark 01.22.2008 03:26 PM

..........................you've opened up a can of worms. I feel the urge to make a ridiculously long list that no one will care about.......

First you listen to "Chocolate Synthesizer", "Super AE", then "Vision Creation Newsun". Then, you listen to every Omoide Hatoba record (they're actually better than the Boredoms). Then every OOIOO record. Then every Hanadensha record. Then every Rovo record. Then every Psycho Baba record. Then any solo works by Yoshimi or Seeiichi Yamamoto. Then, you can go and listen to the early Boredoms stuff and understand its brilliance a bit better. Though really, the later stuff is where they're "godhead"..........

Do all that then come back to this thread in a few years..

......

Seriously, I've been listening to Boredoms plus their offshoot bands religiously for at least the last 6 years and I still haven't even heard half of the amazing shit they've done. I'm discovering shit all the time I'd never know about, like Novo Tono for example -- how the fuck did that escape me? It's all really good shit, you can't really go wrong.

As for "other Japanese acts", that's a bit vague eh? Oh well. Here are some acts I really love and some I don't love AS much but still dig (this is an incomplete list, and I've excluded a LOT of bands that I only maybe like one or two songs by), I'm not going to include stuff like Afrirampo, Boris, Acid Mothers, Melt Banana, etc. because they're really well-known here:

SHIT THAT ROCKS AND IS ESSENTIAL!:
blam honey [one of the weirdest bands I've ever heard; if Nine Inch Nails were good and made by someone who hates music or something -- brilliant!]
bleachmobile [also known as Bleach'03; AMAZING]
bloodthirsty butchers [their early stuff sounds like Fugazi]
coaltar of the deepers [careful; one of their albums is J-Pop, one is J-Pop death metal, and the rest explore shoegaze or kraut rock -- very eclectic band]
gaji [like a Japanese Jesus Lizard obsessed with harmonics -- essential!]
limited express (has gone?)
luminous orange
number girl [one of my all time favorite bands; they're my user icon...]
ogre you asshole
super junky monkey
toddle
vola & the oriental machine

SHIT THAT ROCKS BUT ISN'T ESSENTIAL:
9mm parabellum bullet
art-school
bandwagon
boom boom satellites
bugy craxone
nico touches the walls
the pillows [not a huge fan, but lots of people are, so..]
plastic tree [early stuff]
red bacteria vacuum
sloth love chunks
sparta locals [sound like At the Drive-In]

SHIT THAT KINDA ROCKS AND IS KINDA ARTY:
brilliant green
ex-girl
fujifabric
mo'some tonebender
quruli

SHIT THAT'S BLEEPY, BOUNCY, ETC BUT PROBABLY, UH, "ROCKS"!:

cali-gari
metronome
polysics
spoozys
supercar [early stuff]

REALLY FUCKING GREAT J-POP:
capsule
coltemonikha
electric tomato
mac monald duck eclair
motocompo
pena
plus-tech squeezebox [craziest band EVER; like Mr. Bungle doing J-Pop]

POST-ROCK/MATH ROCK TYPE SHIT:
mono
world's end girlfriend
zazen boys [essential!]

AVANT-GARDE/FOLK/NOISE TYPE STUFF:
all boredoms related bands
abe kaoru
aki onda
ami yoshida
angel in heavy syrup
aube
brain police
broomdusters
c.c.c.c.
captain trip
chie mukai
chu ishikawa [does the music for Tsukamoto films -- great stuff!]
ché-shizu
contagious orgasm
cornelius
doping panda
dowser
dumb type
flower travellin' band
fushitsusha
gerogerigegege
ghost [I guess they're fairly well known now, but...]
go hirano
high rise
hijokaidan
hiroaki mizutani
hiroshi nar
hiroshi shiotani
hoppy kamiyama
ikue mori [was the drummer of DNA; "Hex Kitchen" is ESSENTIAL!]
kazuki tomokawa [acid folk singer; one of my all time favorite musicians, if you care...]
k.k. null
keiji haino [duh?]
kozo inada
lsd march [excellent; one of my favorite bands as well]
mainliner
marble sheep
masami tada
merzbow :)
michiyo yagi
minor coffee shop
musica transonic
naoki zushi
novo tono
nobukazu takemura [another artist who varies in range quite a bit; I prefer his more ambient stuff]
otomo yoshihide
overhang party
oz disc
phew
pinakotheca
reiko kudo
ryoji ikeda
sachiko m.
sawako
seiji nagai
taj mahal travellers
tenko
tetsuo furudate
tokyo kid brothers
tokyo rockers
toshimaru nakamura
tujiko noriko
violent onsen geisha
white heaven
yamazaki maso
yoshida tatsuya
yoshizawa motoharu
zero gravity

That's all I can think of right now, I'll update this if I think of more. I know I'm definitely leaving out some good Japanese IDM/glitch artists, but I dunno if anyone here really cares about that shit besides me.... hmph.

king_buzzo 01.22.2008 03:53 PM

holy shit! is there anything you don't know ???

thanks btw.

Bollocks_to_Pop 01.22.2008 04:02 PM

I was going to start a thread asking what Boredoms cd to start with a couple of days ago, but then I just ordered Vision Creation Newsun and Seadrum/House of Sun because I heard some tracks online and it sounded amazing.

fugazifan 01.22.2008 04:19 PM

i belive that thre is ne band that ASP forgot, that have an album that i really dig. xinlisupreme-murder license
it is pretty awesome.
and if it was mentioned, my apologies

racehorse 01.22.2008 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
..........................you've opened up a can of worms. I feel the urge to make a ridiculously long list that no one will care about.......

First you listen to "Chocolate Synthesizer", "Super AE", then "Vision Creation Newsun". Then, you listen to every Omoide Hatoba record (they're actually better than the Boredoms). Then every OOIOO record. Then every Hanadensha record. Then every Rovo record. Then every Psycho Baba record. Then any solo works by Yoshimi or Seeiichi Yamamoto. Then, you can go and listen to the early Boredoms stuff and understand its brilliance a bit better. Though really, the later stuff is where they're "godhead"..........

Do all that then come back to this thread in a few years..

......

Seriously, I've been listening to Boredoms plus their offshoot bands religiously for at least the last 6 years and I still haven't even heard half of the amazing shit they've done. I'm discovering shit all the time I'd never know about, like Novo Tono for example -- how the fuck did that escape me? It's all really good shit, you can't really go wrong.

As for "other Japanese acts", that's a bit vague eh? Oh well. Here are some acts I really love and some I don't love AS much but still dig (this is an incomplete list, and I've excluded a LOT of bands that I only maybe like one or two songs by), I'm not going to include stuff like Afrirampo, Boris, Acid Mothers, Melt Banana, etc. because they're really well-known here:

SHIT THAT ROCKS AND IS ESSENTIAL!:
blam honey [one of the weirdest bands I've ever heard; if Nine Inch Nails were good and made by someone who hates music or something -- brilliant!]
bleachmobile [also known as Bleach'03; AMAZING]
bloodthirsty butchers [their early stuff sounds like Fugazi]
coaltar of the deepers [careful; one of their albums is J-Pop, one is J-Pop death metal, and the rest explore shoegaze or kraut rock -- very eclectic band]
gaji [like a Japanese Jesus Lizard obsessed with harmonics -- essential!]
limited express (has gone?)
luminous orange
number girl [one of my all time favorite bands; they're my user icon...]
ogre you asshole
super junky monkey
toddle
vola & the oriental machine

SHIT THAT ROCKS BUT ISN'T ESSENTIAL:
9mm parabellum bullet
art-school
bandwagon
boom boom satellites
bugy craxone
nico touches the walls
the pillows [not a huge fan, but lots of people are, so..]
plastic tree [early stuff]
red bacteria vacuum
sloth love chunks
sparta locals [sound like At the Drive-In]

SHIT THAT KINDA ROCKS AND IS KINDA ARTY:
brilliant green
ex-girl
fujifabric
mo'some tonebender
quruli

SHIT THAT'S BLEEPY, BOUNCY, ETC BUT PROBABLY, UH, "ROCKS"!:

cali-gari
metronome
polysics
spoozys
supercar [early stuff]

REALLY FUCKING GREAT J-POP:
capsule
coltemonikha
electric tomato
mac monald duck eclair
motocompo
pena
plus-tech squeezebox [craziest band EVER; like Mr. Bungle doing J-Pop]

POST-ROCK/MATH ROCK TYPE SHIT:
mono
world's end girlfriend
zazen boys [essential!]

AVANT-GARDE/FOLK/NOISE TYPE STUFF:
all boredoms related bands
abe kaoru
aki onda
ami yoshida
angel in heavy syrup
aube
brain police
broomdusters
c.c.c.c.
captain trip
chie mukai
chu ishikawa [does the music for Tsukamoto films -- great stuff!]
ché-shizu
contagious orgasm
cornelius
doping panda
dowser
dumb type
flower travellin' band
fushitsusha
gerogerigegege
ghost [I guess they're fairly well known now, but...]
go hirano
high rise
hijokaidan
hiroaki mizutani
hiroshi nar
hiroshi shiotani
hoppy kamiyama
ikue mori [was the drummer of DNA; "Hex Kitchen" is ESSENTIAL!]
kazuki tomokawa [acid folk singer; one of my all time favorite musicians, if you care...]
k.k. null
keiji haino [duh?]
kozo inada
lsd march [excellent; one of my favorite bands as well]
mainliner
marble sheep
masami tada
merzbow :)
michiyo yagi
minor coffee shop
musica transonic
naoki zushi
novo tono
nobukazu takemura [another artist who varies in range quite a bit; I prefer his more ambient stuff]
otomo yoshihide
overhang party
oz disc
phew
pinakotheca
reiko kudo
ryoji ikeda
sachiko m.
sawako
seiji nagai
taj mahal travellers
tenko
tetsuo furudate
tokyo kid brothers
tokyo rockers
toshimaru nakamura
tujiko noriko
violent onsen geisha
white heaven
yamazaki maso
yoshida tatsuya
yoshizawa motoharu
zero gravity

That's all I can think of right now, I'll update this if I think of more. I know I'm definitely leaving out some good Japanese IDM/glitch artists, but I dunno if anyone here really cares about that shit besides me.... hmph.


my word. that's a comprehensive list if ever i saw one.
do you have pictures of your record collection? it must take up at least a couple of rooms!

Toilet & Bowels 01.22.2008 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racehorse
my word. that's a comprehensive list if ever i saw one.
do you have pictures of your record collection? it must take up at least a couple of rooms!


more likely he's spent a lot of time on soulseek or copied and pasted from wikipedia

Everyneurotic 01.22.2008 07:06 PM

adam forgot kaoru abe, masayuki takayanagi (both are free jazz), kousokuya, suishou no fune, pain jerk, kenji siratori (some) and up-tight; all which i recommend and rank highly.

the ikara cult 01.22.2008 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drrrtyboots
Boredoms sound like absolutely no one else and asking for Japanese music is like asking where to start with American music.

Start with either Pop Tatari or Chocolate Synthesizer if you want some crazier, spontaneous noise or if you want godly sun worshipping goodness get Vision Creation Newsun or Super Ae.


I only listened to Pop Tatari and Chocolate Synthesiser, and both are completely bananas, so maybe the other albums mentioned before are the best to start with

batreleaser 01.22.2008 08:19 PM

god fucking damn you atsonicpark, at least save some bands for me to reccomend haha.

but you didnt say FUCK ON THE BEACH; japanese hatethrashcore.

batreleaser 01.22.2008 08:20 PM

and for captain obvious, melt banana.

batreleaser 01.22.2008 08:21 PM

and ruins

batreleaser 01.22.2008 08:50 PM

fuck you said melt banana

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 01.22.2008 08:57 PM

Toshinori kondo, avant-garde jazz, jazz fusion, ambient esque

Everyneurotic 01.22.2008 09:01 PM

gauze
lipcream
confuse
nightmare
die you bastard!
mortalized
deathless muss
s.o.b.
coffins
rose rose

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 01.22.2008 09:05 PM

Oh yeah

GISM a hardcore punk band with metal tendencies.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content ©2006 Sonic Youth