Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Seven Ages of Rock documentary starts 19 May (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13267)

demonrail666 06.24.2007 07:19 AM

The stadium Rock one?

It was better than I thought - although they did spend an unreasonable amount of time on The Police. Lot's of Springsteen which might bore a few here but i'm a fan so, no probs there.

I still find it weird the way that Guns n Roses have been totally written out of the whole thing. I'm not saying they were the MOST important but they surely deserve SOME kind of coverage, at least.

king_buzzo 06.24.2007 07:23 AM

^Nah i've seen that one, there was the Alternative rock one yesterday so I was wondering about that.

Pookie 06.24.2007 08:06 AM

It was ok. Nothing new to add.

Concentrating on REM so much was a bit odd, the dullest of the 80's college rock bands.

And no mention of SY at all, unless I blinked and missed it.

farmhouse 06.24.2007 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
It was ok. Nothing new to add.

Concentrating on REM so much was a bit odd, the dullest of the 80's college rock bands.

And no mention of SY at all, unless I blinked and missed it.

you did blink and miss it.

not so much a 'verbal' mention, but definately a 'visual' and 'aural' one.

as an intro to the programme a set of images were flashed across the screen as if to say 'here's what we'll cover this week' . . . and about 3-5 seconds of that was dirty era kim in shades and thurston going ape with a drumstick in his guitar . . . shortly after, a snippet of daydream nation was played over the top of some REM story . . . .

i was waiting for it, but it never came. oh, and they showed a sonic youth tour poster during the black flag bit, but not once were they mentioned properly . . . . which i thought was a fucking disgrace . .. since they'd hinted at it . .. .

Pookie 06.24.2007 09:02 AM

It certainly concentrated on the blander side of 'alternative rock': REM, Replacements, Pixies, Pearl Jam. Probably the least 'alternative' of all the rock bands of the time.

Cardinal Rob 06.24.2007 11:41 AM

Absolutely fucking shite. This documentary series is the leader of all things shite in the world. Hiroshima is a fucking vicarage tea party compared to the shitty ages of rock, it's such an atrocity. It's a fucking show for the blind lead by a one-eyed person with fucking cataracts. Not only did they only devote half a fucking minute to bands other than R.E.M. and Nirvana on this shitty "Left of the Dial" so-called show, they fucking couldn't even fucking pronounce Husker Du properly. Nirvana were barely even fucking influenced by them. Now we'll have a few fucking generations of Britons who fucking think that the only thing '80s America produced was a handful of shitty jangly R.E.M. ditties, and there goes a whole section of music's history. I wouldn't wish the seven ages of rock on anyone. The title of the show doesn't even deserve fucking capital letters.

king_buzzo 06.24.2007 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardinal Rob
they fucking couldn't even fucking pronounce Husker Du properly.

hahaha, what'd they say?

Iain 06.24.2007 12:10 PM

I can't pronounce Husker Du properly. But then I don't think they're all that great so I'm not that bothered.

This was bound to be shit. The reason they focussed on REM so much was because they are easily the most popular of the 80s alternative bands and people like them. Let's face it, the general public don't want any kind of in depth coverage, or any coverage, of bands like The Butthole Surfers, Sonic Youth et al. Black Flag was probably only in there at all because Rollins is a pretty gregarious guy who gives a good interview.

the ikara cult 06.24.2007 01:26 PM

It was never going to be perfect but the programme yesterday was very dissappointing. At the start i thought it was going to be a television version of Our Band Could be your life which would have been great but there was far too much Nirvana and REM. I recognised one of the TRilogy parts from Daydream Nation near the start but i dont think Sonic Youth were mentioned at all, and seeing how the main thrust was Nirvana rather than 80s indie rock (it was basically Nirvana and REM not "alternative rock", though that term repulses me) youd think theyd highlight all the other stuff more than they did. Im really only a casual Nirvana fan but surely theres much more to mention than what they did. Still, i wasnt expecting much anyway and they did put up some Black Flag, possibly because they had Rollins in an interview.
But for any youngsters looking for something more than Nirvana there were nothing more than passing references to other bands from the time, and thats the worst thing

the ikara cult 06.24.2007 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by king_buzzo
hahaha, what'd they say?

Someone said Husker as you pronounce Busker

king_buzzo 06.24.2007 01:32 PM

haha

Kyohan 06.24.2007 03:40 PM

After a couple of half-promising episodes at the start, this series has turned into the worst bland, idiots-guide overview load of nonsense I've ever seen. Last night's show was worse than pointless. They should have just let Rollins speak for the full 60 minutes.

screamingskull 06.24.2007 04:06 PM

if i had wanted to see a nirvana documentary i already have a few i could have watched instead.

matt74m 06.24.2007 05:35 PM

But.......they did have a (brief) interview with Kim Deal, that made me spend the whole day listening to Breeders albums.....and we got to see how badly Krist Novoselic has aged.

Did anyone else buy that Sweet 75 album he released, one of the worst records of all time.

screamingskull 06.24.2007 06:35 PM

i loved kim deal, she was awesome!!! amd they did play part of a sonic youth song during some scene. just no mention of them, which is a shame.

Danny Himself 06.24.2007 06:39 PM

Kim Deal's haircut now is awful though.

Get back on MSN screamingskull!

screamingskull 06.24.2007 06:44 PM

okay okay!

auto-aim 06.25.2007 07:14 AM

hah - i missed the one episode I wanted to see... doesnt sound like i missed much though.

Pookie 06.25.2007 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt74m
Did anyone else buy that Sweet 75 album he released, one of the worst records of all time.

So you were the other person who bought it?

Toilet & Bowels 06.25.2007 02:53 PM

i tried to buy it but i never saw it anywhere