Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   science fiction (no gibson or dick) (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=12117)

Toilet & Bowels 04.11.2007 11:42 AM

science fiction (no gibson or dick)

can anyone recommend some good sci fi that isn't william gibson or phillip k dick?

thanks in advance!

floatingslowly 04.11.2007 11:45 AM

Robert A. Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress!

my favorite book ever.

Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles are good too.

demonrail666 04.11.2007 11:47 AM

Thomas Disch's The Genocides or Camp Concentration.

J.G. Ballard's High-Rise.

Brian Aldiss' Barefoot in the Head.

Joe Haldeman's The Forever War.

Michael Moorecock's Final Programme.

Alan Moore's The Ballad of Halo Jones.

!@#$%! 04.11.2007 11:49 AM

the dune saga is quite quite enthralling. there are something like 9 books and a lot of them are kind of crappy but it's hard to put down. i read it while stationed in some remote tropical location.

i also like the asimov gaia books, the ones about predicting history through math, what was it? oh-- foundation. perhaps a bit too pompous by today's standards but highly entertaining when i read it years ago.

now robinstigator is going to come & recommend greg bear, i haven't read him but he swears by him.

oh i also like jack vance. very fucking great short stories. not sure if it's easy to find i think he's kind of obscure.

french science fiction is kind of peculiar too, i don't have names, i've read short stories that were mind blowing but i've lost track... it's been years...

demonrail666 04.11.2007 11:53 AM

If you want Gibson without having to get Gibson (if that makes any sense at all) then Rob Sterling's Schismatrix is good.

Iian M. Banks' stuff is also nice if you like the more epic stuff. Consider Phlebus is superb.

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!

french science fiction is kind of peculiar too, i don't have names, i've read short stories that were mind blowing but i've lost track... it's been years...

Would be interested in knowing more about the French sci-fi stuff.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 04.11.2007 12:13 PM

If you haven't read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley you need to.

whorefrost 04.11.2007 12:15 PM

My girlfriend bought me Solaris by Stanislaw Lem. Haven't started it yet but my friend told me it's one of the best novels he has ever read.

demonrail666 04.11.2007 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
If you haven't read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley you need to.

That'd be good to read alongside Huxley's Island, which is a utopian response to Brave new World.

Rob Instigator 04.11.2007 12:28 PM

!@#$% yeah yeah bastard!

Greg Bear! I recommend the novels
BLOOD MUSIC (what is single celled organisms gained sentience? It takes it ALLLLL the way to it's logical conclusion! accelerated evolution. get this one FIRST!)
Forge of God (galactic conflict)
Moving Mars
Queen of Angels (deals with consciousness)
Darwin's Radio (accelerated evolution)

I ama huge fan of "hard" sci fi. I like it all but that is my fave.

I love Isaac Asimov's short stories. They are amazing. find a collection of them. all these books you can find at used bookstores CHEAP

I like crazy shit too, like Rudy Rucker
he wrote and writes cyberpunk tales with humor and hard science.
My faves are
Software
Wetware
Freeware
Realware
These are a series but each book is individual.

One of his best is not sci fi though. It is called AS ABOVE SO BELOW: a NOVEL OF PIETER BRUEGEL, which gives an account of the famous dutch painter's life and day to day living. very very very cool if you are interested in Bruegel, art, history, european stuff.

!@#$%! 04.11.2007 12:40 PM

im going to look for blood music next time i go to the bookstore

Toilet & Bowels 04.11.2007 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
european stuff.

that's a lot of stuff!

that brueghel book sounds ineresting though.

thjanks for all the recommendations folks, keep 'em coming.

!@#$%! 04.11.2007 12:44 PM

forgot to say, foundation is a trilogy, i forget the names of the other 2 books but i suspect you might be able to find them in a single volume. this is also related to i robot, but i didn't read that. perhaps you could add it.

jon boy 04.11.2007 12:58 PM

tesla69 04.11.2007 02:06 PM

totally agree with Rob above re Rudy Rucker

Richard K Morgans Altered Carbon is friggin awesome, if you haven't read this you should go get it today. You'll thank me. The followups are quite tasty as well.

Schismatrix is by BRUCE STERLING and it was a mindfuck in 1990 when I first read it...whores grafting genital tissue to the back of their throats so they can get off when giving head etc

John Shirley is a living master of scifi his new one The Other End is supposed to be out this month and looks to be killer. Silicon Embrace by him is one of the weirdest coolest novels.

I don't read as much scifi anymore, lately I've been into hardboiled mysteries,i.e., Charlie Huston, lee Child, Andrew Vacchss, Simon Kesnick...scifi has gotten too "literary" - more worried about "developing character" than ideas.

Iain 04.11.2007 02:18 PM

We by Yevgeny Zamyatin is pretty essential dystopian fiction.

!@#$%! 04.11.2007 02:19 PM

another vote for rudy rucker. very highly readable stuff. and the guy's a mathematician.

Jt 04.11.2007 02:51 PM

Probably predictable, but look up Neal Stephenson's Snowcrash. You shan't be disappointed.

Rob Instigator 04.11.2007 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tesla69
totally agree with Rob above re Rudy Rucker

I don't read as much scifi anymore, lately I've been into hardboiled mysteries,i.e., Charlie Huston, lee Child, Andrew Vacchss, Simon Kesnick...scifi has gotten too "literary" - more worried about "developing character" than ideas.

andrew Vacchs is fucking amazing! His short stories are so sharp, so evil deadly. I found a comic book that was adapted from his short stories and in between weere actual short stories so I started reading all I could find. brutal brutal shit.

!@#$%! 04.11.2007 03:52 PM

whoa man

ROB

while you here

my library has moving mars, darwin radio & the forge of god, but not blood music--- where to start?

Rob Instigator 04.11.2007 03:58 PM

hmmmmm, I suggest you get Forge of God. check that shit out.