Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Janet Weiss VS Sara Lund (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=95653)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.26.2013 05:11 PM

Janet Weiss VS Sara Lund

Who is the more kick ass chick drummer? Who has the most thrashing rolls while maintaining the most danceable groove? Who has the best backing vocals?

Janet

Exhibit (a)

Exhibit (b)

Sara

Exhibit (a)

Exhibit (b)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.26.2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
i'll say Sara only because moles on the neck are sexy.

Where is knox to shake her head? Can we judge women musicians by their talents firstly and not necessarily though partially include their assets?

Toilet & Bowels 07.27.2013 06:50 AM

Because they're both female have to be compared against each other.

Who's your favourite black drummer, the guy from The Roots, or the guy from Living Color?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.27.2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Because they're both female have to be compared against each other.

Who's your favourite black drummer, the guy from The Roots, or the guy from Living Color?

_tunic_ 07.28.2013 03:11 AM

And the best female drummer is .....

Lori Barbero

proof (A)
proof (B)

and not just because of her kick-ass dreadlocks

Toilet & Bowels 07.28.2013 04:00 PM

I'm not mad I'm just disappointed.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.28.2013 04:09 PM

Why? Do you honestly think I'm being misogynistic or something? We're celebrating their womanhood, not marginalizing it. Just because they are women and drummers, doesn't mean we should somehow forget they are women. Chicks on the drums are increasing in numbers, but still a significant minority, and I say this first and foremost as a musician, not just a fan of music. So we need to celebrate them, this is that chance. There are more of course, but these are my favs. I'm sorry you're disappointed, but if so, its only because you've got the wrong idea. At this stage, I want to celebrate women as drummers, and part of that celebration is the very fact that they are women. Part of the attempts at gender or color blind society, is that we don't celebrate race and gender enough in positive ways in the masquerade to try and ignore it. Yeah, there should be more women playing drums, to the point that we won't notice, but lets big up the pioneer divas now who blaze the trail.

Genteel Death 07.28.2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
pioneer divas now

Dude, women have been playing music for centuries.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.28.2013 09:02 PM

Yes. True. But we're talking about post-1950s, 3-7pc full drum kit, drummers. Y'all are going to have to show me a list of at least 1000 women drummers to change my opinion about us needing to specifically showcase them. Further, sorry, but unless some of the ladies here in SYG post and complain, I'm not taking the complaints of misogyny by a sausage fest too seriously ;)

GravitySlips 07.28.2013 11:17 PM

I can't compare as I've never listened to Sleater Kinney but Sara Lund rules. A perfect drummer for Unwound. It would be just swell if I ever got the chance to see her perform live but that looks extremely unlikely, oh well.

The best female drummer I know of is Katherine from The Ex, though. Amazing.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.29.2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GravitySlips
I can't compare as I've never listened to Sleater Kinney but Sara Lund rules. A perfect drummer for Unwound. It would be just swell if I ever got the chance to see her perform live but that looks extremely unlikely, oh well.

The best female drummer I know of is Katherine from The Ex, though. Amazing.

She is in and toured with the Corin Tucker Band, good chance if they do it again she'll drum for them again :)

Rob Instigator 07.29.2013 04:30 PM

Out of the two, I would pick Weiss. She holds the groove in SK in a way that is crucial for the songs to work. Not that Lund is not kick-ass. Her drumming on the later UNWOUND albums is nuanced and heavy and ruling.

ilduclo 08.07.2013 03:15 PM

so sorry, it's susie......

Genteel Death 08.07.2013 03:45 PM

I will come up with a very long list, one day. I don't think it's a priority right now.

tesla69 08.07.2013 04:37 PM

The one thing I've learned since women have gotten so involved in music is gender doesn't matter most people suck and are aggressively mediocre..

I agree with ilduclo. I always like Awesome Alison. And Adalena from Early Spring is very subtle but crafty.

Rob Instigator 08.07.2013 04:38 PM

who is this susie and why are you guys on 1st name basis with her?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.07.2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
who is this susie and why are you guys on 1st name basis with her?

http://www.susieibarra.com/