Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Chelsea Light Moving (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=79085)

zelocia 03.07.2013 08:47 PM

I disagree that cover of "Communist Eyes" is out-of-place. I think it's a great addition to Thurston's masterpieces of punk covers (Beat On The Brat, That's All I Know [Right Now], etc...)

RanaldoNecro 03.08.2013 02:36 PM

scott,

I can get you a ticket if you want....

Do you use paypal?

RanaldoNecro 03.08.2013 02:37 PM

SY has a history of 'out of place' covers.....Hotwire my heart

scott v 03.08.2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
here's a link
http://www.ticketfly.com/event/20871...oving-toronto/

never heard of ticketfly so don't yell at me if it's not legit :) It's mentioned on the venue site

ah yes i did see that now on the Lee's Palace site, I'll give that a shot.

scott v 03.08.2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RanaldoNecro
scott,

I can get you a ticket if you want....

Do you use paypal?

I'll get back to you if this ticketfly doesn't work...

RanaldoNecro 03.08.2013 06:44 PM

Its 100% legit. I used it.

halgreen 03.09.2013 12:43 AM

In case anyone was wondering, the LP has a different track list than the CD. And the songs on the bonus 7" are on the CD.

Moshe 03.09.2013 02:25 AM

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/...ston_moore.php

stu666 03.09.2013 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
A few shots from Asheville

Instore:

Show:

At the Instore, they had mic difficulties and proceeded to do a noise jam for like 10 minutes, then Thurston gave some little kid his guitar and let him bash on it while he made noise into the broken mic.

http://youtu.be/r3WQ1oU35aQ

Concrete Abutments 03.09.2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halgreen
In case anyone was wondering, the LP has a different track list than the CD. And the songs on the bonus 7" are on the CD.

What's the vinyl track list order?

stu666 03.09.2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Concrete Abutments
What's the vinyl track list order?

12"

1. Lip
2. Sleeping Where I Fall
3. Alighted
4. Empires Of Time
5. Groovy & Linda
6. Burroughs
7. Mohawk
8. Frank O'Hara Hit

7"

1. Heavenmetal
2. Commmunist Eyes

Magic Wheel Memory 03.09.2013 10:12 AM

Burroughs is my favorite track. The long bridge is the highlight of the record for me.

In general, this music seems kind of simple compared to SY, but some of it is pretty catchy. The "Don't shoot. We are your children." verse from Groovy and Linda sticks in my head. I also like Sleeping Where I Fall, Frank O'Hara Hit, and Empires of Time. Not crazy about Lip or Mohawk.

Concrete Abutments 03.10.2013 01:09 AM

I made my own track list with the CD. It might be cliche' but I can't stand having the longest and most explosive track (Alighted) at the beginning.

!. Heavenmetal
2. Sleeping Where I Fall
3. Burroughs
4. Empires Of Time
5. Groovy & Linda
6. Lip
7. Frank O'Hara Hit
8. Alighted
9. Mohawk
10. Communist Eyes

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666
12"

1. Lip
2. Sleeping Where I Fall
3. Alighted
4. Empires Of Time
5. Groovy & Linda
6. Burroughs
7. Mohawk
8. Frank O'Hara Hit

7"

1. Heavenmetal
2. Commmunist Eyes

scott v 03.10.2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RanaldoNecro
Its 100% legit. I used it.

Drove up to Toronto yesterday as a friend wanted to go hit the shops on Queen & College streets, got my tix @ Soundscapes... so I'm all set. Glad to see that Soundscapes has abit more vinyl now, its been awhile but the last time i was there they didn't have as much, and is Juno Records a new shop? Got to Rotate This too late as they were closed and didn't reach Moog music to get my fix on guitar effects ...maybe when i'm back up at the end of the month.

The Soup Nazi 03.10.2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halgreen

What about the download code that comes with the LP + 7" — does it let you get ALL songs? Thanks in advance for your reply.

stu666 03.10.2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
What about the download code that comes with the LP + 7" — does it let you get ALL songs? Thanks in advance for your reply.

The download code gives you all the songs in mp3 or flac

The Soup Nazi 03.10.2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666
The download code gives you all the songs in mp3 or flac

Bitchen...

Peterpuff 03.11.2013 03:07 AM

Just got home from the Denton 35 show. They absolutely killed it. Sorry, but I do not feel this recording does their live show justice. It was just...so...brutal, honestly. Really explosive tracks. And 30 minutes of Thurston noise guitar (20 minutes in between sound check and "start," 10 minutes in the encore) was just awesome to see.

As much as I may have wanted to hate on some of these post-SY products, I have to say I am really liking what each member is doing.

scott v 03.11.2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterpuff
Just got home from the Denton 35 show. They absolutely killed it. Sorry, but I do not feel this recording does their live show justice. It was just...so...brutal, honestly. Really explosive tracks. And 30 minutes of Thurston noise guitar (20 minutes in between sound check and "start," 10 minutes in the encore) was just awesome to see.

As much as I may have wanted to hate on some of these post-SY products, I have to say I am really liking what each member is doing.

Good to hear, the live clips of this band from that recent basement birthday gig sound intense. Thurston is using some different distortion effects to get a more metal-ish tone out of his guitar it seems too.

Peterpuff 03.11.2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott v
Good to hear, the live clips of this band from that recent basement birthday gig sound intense. Thurston is using some different distortion effects to get a more metal-ish tone out of his guitar it seems too.

Yep, the distortion mixed with a lot more palm-muting in this band really just tends to club you upside the head, wonderfully. They really do have an awesome "heavy" sound I really enjoyed.