Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   ranking captain beefheart albums in order (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=18041)

atsonicpark 11.29.2007 05:39 PM

ranking captain beefheart albums in order

I think:

1. ice cream for crow
2. lick my decals off, baby
3. doc at the radar station
4. strictly personal
5. shiny beast
6. trout mask replica
7. safe as milk
8. mirror man sessions
9. spotlight kid
10. clear spot
11. unconditionally guranteed
12. bluejeans and moonbeams

..yeah.

SuperCreep 11.29.2007 05:50 PM

1. Safe as Milk
2. Trout Mask Replica
3. Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)
4. Doc at the Radar Station
5. Lick My Decals Off, Baby
6. Ice Cream for Crow
7. Mirror Man
8. Clear Spot
9. Strictly Personal
10. The Spotlight Kid
11. Unconditinally Guaranteed
12. Bluejeans and Moonbeams

gmku 11.29.2007 05:57 PM

I'm a big Beef fan but I've yet to hear Ice Cream for Crow. Is it out on vinyl?

I'd probably put TMR at the top, SAM right under that, then Doc, then Lick, then Shiny Beast.

I don't care much about the rest.

racehorse 11.29.2007 06:11 PM

i wish i had atsonicpark's record collection.

lungfish 11.29.2007 06:13 PM

i have a soft spot for clear spot

fugazifan 11.29.2007 06:28 PM

i have only heard 4 of his albums so i rate em like this
TMR
SAM
lick my decals off baby
mirror man

i really want to hear ice cream for crow after atsonic has raved about it so much.
anyone care to upload it?

Torn Curtain 11.29.2007 06:50 PM

Up to now I've only heard Clear spot and stuff he did with Gary Lucas (which is great). I've actually downloaded a lot of his records but I haven't listened to them yet.

krastian 11.29.2007 11:50 PM

Y'all don't like the Mirror Man Sessions?? Man, that's my shit right there.

SuperCreep 11.30.2007 02:19 AM

Ice Cream for Crow:
http://www.badongo.com/file/5181551

Such a fine ending to a brilliant career.

fugazifan 11.30.2007 04:03 AM

thanks! dling now. will give my full report later....

sun city girl 11.30.2007 08:49 AM

today i'd say:

1. Trout Mask Replica
2. Safe as Milk
3. Lick My Decals Off, Baby
4. Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)
5. Doc at the Radar Station
6. Clear Spot
7. Mirror Man
8. Strictly Personal
9. The Spotlight Kid
10. Ice Cream for Crow

11. Bluejeans and Moonbeams
12. Unconditinally Guaranteed

all of them are excellent except last 2.

atsonicpark 11.30.2007 04:31 PM

Wow, sun city girl, that list is COMPLETELY different than mine, haha.

I think ice cream is the perfect collection of everything the captain does well in one place. It's just amazing, it melds some of his weirdest and most complex material with his most straightfroward. Excellent.

On the other hand, I think trout mask is remembered more for being the album that defined his sound and changed a lot of people's perceptions of music -- which it did, and I will gladly defend it for that. But it sure is a chore to listen to, it's way too long, the songs aren't as strong as the songs on albums like "Lick my Decals Off, Baby" and the production is TERRIBLE. Zappa should have been shot for the production on that album.

Just my opinion.

Also, have you all heard the original Bat Chain Puller? It's fucking awesome! It has my favorite beefheart song in an instrumental form ("Run Paint Run"), some unreleased songs, and "1010th Day of the Human Totem Pole" without horns and with another guitar.

Actually, there is something I'm looking for.. does anyone have the fast n bulbous tribute? The one that sonic youth's cover of Electricity originally came from?

davenotdead 11.30.2007 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperCreep
Ice Cream for Crow:
http://www.badongo.com/file/5181551

Such a fine ending to a brilliant career.

you=awesome

gmku 11.30.2007 04:41 PM

I don't own everything so this is the best I can do:

1. Trout Mask Replica
2. Safe as Milk
3. Lick My Decals Off, Baby
4. Doc at the Radar Station
5. Shiny etc whatever

sun city girl 12.01.2007 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Wow, sun city girl, that list is COMPLETELY different than mine, haha.

I think ice cream is the perfect collection of everything the captain does well in one place. It's just amazing, it melds some of his weirdest and most complex material with his most straightfroward. Excellent.

On the other hand, I think trout mask is remembered more for being the album that defined his sound and changed a lot of people's perceptions of music -- which it did, and I will gladly defend it for that. But it sure is a chore to listen to, it's way too long, the songs aren't as strong as the songs on albums like "Lick my Decals Off, Baby" and the production is TERRIBLE. Zappa should have been shot for the production on that album.

Just my opinion.

Also, have you all heard the original Bat Chain Puller? It's fucking awesome! It has my favorite beefheart song in an instrumental form ("Run Paint Run"), some unreleased songs, and "1010th Day of the Human Totem Pole" without horns and with another guitar.

Actually, there is something I'm looking for.. does anyone have the fast n bulbous tribute? The one that sonic youth's cover of Electricity originally came from?

yeah, well, for me trout mask replica is the greatest lp ever made & it's perfect... icecream for crow isn't bad, i just haven't listened to it as much as the others. i have dust-sucker cd, which at least has some tracks from the original bat chain puller... i also have that tribute lp, but i mainly bought it because of the SY-track and i don't remember much about the other tracks.

the ikara cult 12.01.2007 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark

Just my opinion.

i think Trout Mask Replica is one of the most fun albums there is. Stick it on shuffle and watch the walls blur.

krastian 12.01.2007 12:19 PM

Speaking of Beefheart, I just bought this shirt recently.

Everyneurotic 12.01.2007 01:35 PM

trout mask replica took me a long time to get into, but when it finally hit, it hit hard, and that's what some of my favorite albums do, that's why it seems a teensy bit more special.

at the same time, i don't know why safe as milk is rated so high and doc at the radar station lower; granted, i haven't listened to all of the captain's discog but to me, both those albums are amazing at the same rate while being different from one another. just sayin'.

i haven't listened to the captain's whole discography because i get stuck with one album and enjoy it until it starts to wear off. right now i'm at radar station.

atsonicpark 12.01.2007 05:29 PM

"she's not bad, she's just gen-et-ic-all-y mean."

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 08.07.2009 12:46 PM

I just got a copy of Mirror Man on vinyl today.