Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   lil wayne's ROCK album? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=29191)

lechaoscestmoi 01.30.2009 09:47 AM

lil wayne's ROCK album?

so apparently lil wayne is making a ROCK album.. "Rebirth".. coming out on april 7th

single "prom queen" - http://youtube.com/watch?v=hKflA2xvGTE
live - http://youtube.com/watch?v=DLAB6VlfaoQ

al shabbray 01.30.2009 10:07 AM

autotune = cher`s strong enough

there isnt a bit which is good about it

noisereductions 01.30.2009 10:12 AM

autotune CAN work. Depends.

Anyway, ppl are hilarious. PFork is already saying how horrible this album will be. I for one embrace an artist who attempts to step out of his comfort zone. Surely he will return to "straight up rapping" or whatever. But good for him. I mean, he's huge right now and still opting to not let himself get stagnant. (don't you... ever... get too... comfortable). I haven't heard "Prom Queen" yet, but there is a (presumable) track from the album on the LEAK 6 mixtape I just copped earlier this week.

al shabbray 01.30.2009 10:17 AM

I dont wanna tlk shit about lil wayne, and yes he is pretty huge at the moment. but lets say if a rap artists switchs genres for 99% its stuff like that, isnt it?
and n this case there is this bad taste of "I wanna reach another 1billion people who buy my albums, lets try to get the money from the rock-crwod" sellout.
do you know what I mean?
I am not the biggest fan of him and I am no hater, I dont know enough to have a complete opinion about him. so please dont get me
wrong :)

and ye autotune can work. but I like it better in his raps, as an experiment.
but most of the time autotune is a turn off for me, ESPECIALLY in strong enough, hahaha

Everyneurotic 01.30.2009 12:11 PM

he's probably going to make it sound like linkin park.

Derek 01.30.2009 12:15 PM

Not terrible.

noisereductions 01.30.2009 01:01 PM

whatever. To each his own. I've been a fan of his for years. I actually listen to all the pre-Carter albums often, even. I think he's great, so I"m excited at the idea of him trying something else. If it works, then great. If not, well it'll be something he tried, and an interesting sidenote in his discography. No big deal.

Silent Dan Speaks 01.30.2009 01:32 PM

I really, really hate autotune. That said, I can respect him for doing something different, but I have no desire to hear the results.

I'm listening to prom queen as I type this, and it's pretty bad.

You know, I've never even really listened to Lil Wayne anyway.

noisereductions 01.30.2009 02:10 PM

It's funny. There's a lot of ppl out there who've heard Lil Wayne, but never actually listened to one of this albums. An actual studio LP that's written and sequenced at such is a lot different than his millions of guest spots or even millions of mixtapes. Be that as it may, he has a handful of mixtapes that are better than most of his albums. But still, it's tough to judge an artist with such a vast discography if yr basing it on a small segment of his output. But really all my babbling is to say, dude's incredible.

Rob Instigator 01.30.2009 02:16 PM

eeeep. this record will go over big with all the pussy fucks who don;t know what ROCK is.

noisereductions 01.30.2009 02:34 PM

thanks for the input, Rob.

atsonicpark 01.30.2009 02:40 PM

So, I haven't listened to that song.. is this him just rapping over guitars and shit? Lots of rappers have done stuff like this already. Puff Daddy's "All About the Benjamins (Rock Remix)", lots of crunk stuff has rock riffing. Kid Rock. Etc. All been completely TERRIBLE. Or is this him singing and stuff with guitar solos and stuff? That'll at least be funny.

al shabbray 01.30.2009 02:42 PM

its a mix of both

SuperCreep 01.30.2009 02:50 PM

Really atrocious song. It makes Kid Rock and Linkin Park sound genius in comparison.

Sonic Youth 37 01.30.2009 02:56 PM

Yeah, the autotune is horrible. I've recently procured Tha Block is Hot and Carter's 1 and 2 for listening this weekend. I surprised at how much I enjoyed Tha Carter III, that being said, it did get old after a month or so.

HaydenAsche 01.30.2009 03:05 PM

I love weezy but I'm not terribly excited for this album. I don't look at him any differently, though. The carters 1 and 2 are two of the greatest rap albums ever. Seriously.

HaydenAsche 01.30.2009 03:07 PM

I'm listening to the song now and it's really not that awful. Wayne has made lots of songs that sound like this before.

atsonicpark 01.30.2009 03:13 PM

I'm listening now.

The main riff sounds like a System of a Down song, can't remember the name. Haha, GUITAR SOLO!!! There are 2 guitar solos in this song!

This shit's hilarious. I can't see anyone conventionally "liking" it though it's certainly entertaining and somehow sounds better than oh.. NO AGE, for example.

Rob Instigator 01.30.2009 03:16 PM

it is not actually autotune. autotune is pitch correction. this is a pitchshifter, wavering faster and slolwer to make his voice sound robotronic, like kanye's new record. it is a new version of the old "reverb his voice real good to hide his singing flaws" thang. autotune is nefarious, because when it is used right, you can hardly tell they are using it. madonna uses it on every tour to crrect for 50 year old haggard breaths singing during her "dance numbers"

lechaoscestmoi 01.30.2009 03:20 PM

the lyrics of that prom queen song are really emo i thought, in the vein of simple plan etc.